Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/4/2012 4:45:24 AM EDT
Hey guys, sorry to bother, can anyone share some info on any of this rifles? Any help will be appreciated.

Take care....
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#1]
This would probably get the answers you're looking for in the piston section.

My only experience with what you mentioned was a friend's 10.5" PWS that never ran well and eventually sheared two bolt lugs. He's not buying another piston upper.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah talk to the piston guys. I'd recommend the LMT if you're insisting on a piston AR, people seem to be happy with those. There's also the new Colt which is similar to the LMT (monolithic upper). Honestly, in my opinion if you want a piston gun, get one in a completely different platform (ACR, Scar, Sig 556, etc.). The AR's floating bolt carrier doesn't lend itself to piston action.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#4]
You can't go wrong with the PWS or the LWRC. The A3 has been discontinued so if you want an adjustable gas block then look for an A5 or "old stock" of the A3. I love my A3, SPR, SL, and REPR from LWRC. Of the current piston ARs, LWRC, PWS and POF are popular for a reason.  Zero carrier tilt, sub-moa accuracy and 100 percent reliable has been my experience with LWRC.

Edit to add: Here's an A3 upper just like mine, all the way down to the pinned SPR-M4 mount, that would make a good little rifle if you specifically want the A3:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/992432_WTS__LWRC_M6A3_Complete_Upper_Receiver.html
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
LWRC and PWS would be the best route. I think most answers will be these two.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#6]
If you bought either the LWRC or PWS you would be happy.
If you bought them both you would prefer the one in your hand at the time.

They are two of the best pistons but there are other pistons in the same league as well.

The LWRC would be the Mercedes Benz of AR15s. I don't think there is a better engineered AR made just excellent quality

The PWS has a unique piston that makes it a little lighter and better balanced more like a DI AR and does cost less but there is a 6 month back order.

Like trying to decide which German car you prefer in driving style there are no bad choices

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Either one is good, you won't go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:00:16 AM EDT
[#8]
PWS has discontinued the Dark Earth models.  Otherwise, they are very well made, smooth shooting, accurate rifles.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I was looking at the PWS before I bought my LWRC M6A2 but PWS's availability was almost non-existent so I went with the M6A2. I bet that PWS works great if you can find one though but you can't go wrong the LWRC either.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd honestly go PWS just because I prefer the way they handle, but if resale is an issue the LWRC is a more recognzable brand name. Nothing worng with either one, see if you can try both before buying. Both run like raped apes, but the PWS just felt "better".

Daniel
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd honestly go PWS just because I prefer the way they handle, but if resale is an issue the LWRC is a more recognzable brand name. Nothing worng with either one, see if you can try both before buying. Both run like raped apes, but the PWS just felt "better".

Daniel

That's why I went with it.  I mean really, when it all comes down to it, we're very spoiled.  There are so many good choices out there in AR's whether they be DI or piston, that it's hard to make a bad choice.  Especially when you're dealing with the likes of Colt, PWS, HK, LWRC, LMT, etc... They're all accurate, reliable, durable and have excellent fit and finish.  If you go with an established manufacturer, or some of the new-comers that are rapidly building a name for themselves (Hogan comes to mind), you can't go wrong.  Find what you like, find what feels good for you, shoots good for you and more importantly, makes you smile.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top