Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2011 12:26:23 PM EDT
Ended up taking the plunge and getting an LWRC Spartan.  I was looking at the Operator, but saw on their forum that they were doing a limited run that they called the "Spartan."  I liked the Spartan Helmet and "Molon Labe" engraving on the receiver and "come and take it" on the dust cover, so I told myself I had to have it.  So, the last major impulse buy of 2011 is here!

I just picked it up from my FFL, and all I can say is––WOW.  This thing is tits.  I can't wait to shoot it!

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn......just damn. I came without touching myself
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Um EPIC!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

This
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
It's like double rainbow beautiful!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Someone has some AWESOME dremel skills!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's like double rainbow beautiful!

What does it mean?!?

Oh, it means this rig kicks 14 kinds of serious ass!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#8]
The funny thing is that there was a post not too long ago asking whether or not someone would spend $2k on an AR, and I thought to myself "no effing way," but they got me with their slick spiral fluting and laser engraving skills.  Plus it's limited to 100 guns, so they also got me with the whole "scarcity" bit.  They're good––real good.  I can't believe I own an AR that was more than $2k.

I just hope I don't end up missing the two guns I had to sell just to get this one.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#9]
It's indescribably beautiful!  It's like the 4th of July!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice looking stick.  Don't forget a range report.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Very awesome.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Range Report
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Very tasty.  Only thing I dont like is the dust cover. Congrats OP!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Very Nice!  However, I am partial to mine.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Absolutely gorgeous rifles...I am putting away my pennies, maybe one of these days
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Spiral fluting might look nice but from an engineering point of view, it's just stupid and defeats the purpose of fluting. Whatever sells I guess.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Spiral fluting might look nice but from an engineering point of view, it's just stupid and defeats the purpose of fluting. Whatever sells I guess.

Pardon my ignorance so please educate me on what your mean.

Fluting reduces weight while still keeping more rigidity and making more surface to interact with air to cool.

Your statement denotes spiral fluting to be a detriment and I don't see how that is hence.my request for an explanation.

That "SPARTAN" is so absolutely cool I have to see what one would set me back.

Wulfmann

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fluting reduces weight while still keeping more rigidity and making more surface to interact with air to cool.

Your statement denotes spiral fluting to be a detriment and I don't see how that is hence.my request for an explanation.

Wulfmann

The idea of fluting is the same as with an I-beam. You spread out the base material to achieve a have a higher moment of inertia (ia stiffness, not to be confused with mass moment of inertia) than if you had a cylindrical rod with the same amount of steel.

With a barrel, the greatest moment (bending force) induced is in the up/down direction when firing, this is why you have so much barrel whip which you see in slow mo videos. With straight fluting, you basically have "spines" that runs along the axis of the barrel which make it stiffer and therefore more accurate and resistant to stringing when it heats up. When you cut the fluting in a helical pattern, you lose most of that stiffness. Imagine if you twisted an I-beam in a spiral, would it still be as stiff as a straight one?

As an engineer, shit like this gets on my nerves because you know companies are putting out poor designs but they are doing it simply because hapless consumers will eat it up. It's like watching someone buy a Taurus Judge.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I am wondering, just where did I fail?  I'm a pretty dedicated LWRC nut, and I had no idea of this model's existence at all!

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am wondering, just where did I fail?  I'm a pretty dedicated LWRC nut, and I had no idea of this model's existence at all!

They just started shipping this week. It's posted on the LWRC forum. I saw it after I started looking at the 'operator' and had to have it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well at least it only defeats PART of the purpose––it still has more surface area for cooling.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wulfmann

The idea of fluting is the same as with an I-beam. You spread out the base material to achieve a have a higher moment of inertia (ia stiffness, not to be confused with mass moment of inertia) than if you had a cylindrical rod with the same amount of steel.

With a barrel, the greatest moment (bending force) induced is in the up/down direction when firing, this is why you have so much barrel whip which you see in slow mo videos. With straight fluting, you basically have "spines" that runs along the axis of the barrel which make it stiffer and therefore more accurate and resistant to stringing when it heats up. When you cut the fluting in a helical pattern, you lose most of that stiffness. Imagine if you twisted an I-beam in a spiral, would it still be as stiff as a straight one?

As an engineer, shit like this gets on my nerves because you know companies are putting out poor designs but they are doing it simply because hapless consumers will eat it up. It's like watching someone buy a Taurus Judge.
I think the accuracy achieved through these spiral fluted barrels says you are wrong. Guys are putting up groups as small as .5 MOA and .75 MOA average with the right ammo with these barrels. So lets say the accuracy isn't hurting at all and at the most maybe a .1 MOA? Now lets see what the spiral fluting does do, it allows the fluting to cover a whole lot more surface area of the barrel thus affording a bit more weight reduction which is the reason why LWRCI says they do this process. They aren't trying to improve stiffness, they are trying to lose weight while eliminating some of the stringing issues found with normally fluted barrels. Since most companies cut the flutes into the barrel after they are made and I beams are extruded in the shape that they are destined to be in, your comparison between the two things is invalid and inaccurate. Not trying to be a jerk, just saying. This dudes rifle is sick and if I didn't just buy an M42K and a HK45 I would own one of these like yesterday.

ETA: PS I dare you to go on to the KAC boards and tell them golf ball dimpling is stupid and just a gimmick. All of M4CNET will be at your front door with baseball bats. LOL

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Get off the dudes nuts, he spent his own money on a rifle he wanted. No reason to come in here and trash his purchase.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think the accuracy achieved through these spiral fluted barrels says you are wrong. Guys are putting up groups as small as .5 MOA and .75 MOA average with the right ammo with these barrels. So lets say the accuracy isn't hurting at all and at the most maybe a .1 MOA?

Well if the internet says so, must be true. Under what conditions? 1 shot per 30 seconds? Does it string after a 30 round rapid fire session? Regardless, nobody said it couldn't be accurate. Especially given that it's still a hefty barrel. What is a fact is that it would have been stiffer if it weren't spiral cut.

Now lets see what the spiral fluting does do, it allows the fluting to cover a whole lot more surface area of the barrel thus affording a bit more weight reduction which is the reason why LWRCI says they do this process.

When you are education goes beyond what you read on the internet, you'll be able to see past marketing hype and think for yourself. Extreme Shock says their ammo is the deadliest thing since the bomb, accuwedges are claimed to improve accuracy, Taurus judges are marketed as being great for personal defense, etc.... That doesn't mean it's true. Don't be so impressionable.

They aren't trying to improve stiffness, they are trying to lose weight while eliminating some of the stringing issues found with normally fluted barrels.

You eliminate stringing by increasing the rigidity of a barrel. You increase the rigidity by increasing its moment of inertia.

Since most companies cut the flutes into the barrel after they are made and I beams are extruded in the shape that they are destined to be in, your comparison between the two things is invalid and inaccurate.

Perfectly valid even if you can't comprehend it. It's about geometry, not how the material is formed.

Not trying to be a jerk, just saying. This dudes rifle is sick and if I didn't just buy an M42K and a HK45 I would own one of these like yesterday.

ETA: PS I dare you to go on to the KAC boards and tell them golf ball dimpling is stupid and just a gimmick. All of M4CNET will be at your front door with baseball bats. LOL

You can't be a jerk by showing how uninformed you are. Golf ball dimpling is actually a good way to reduce weight of a barrel and maintain stiffness. The way the load is distributed is similar to honeycomb structures and fairly strong. There is a big difference between that, and a spiral cut which is not even axially symmetric.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 3:54:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Get off the dudes nuts, he spent his own money on a rifle he wanted. No reason to come in here and trash his purchase.

X2, It's his money, If he likes it, that's all that matters.

I didn't like the spiral profile at first, but I think it's growing on me.  Nice Rifle!

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 6:43:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the accuracy achieved through these spiral fluted barrels says you are wrong. Guys are putting up groups as small as .5 MOA and .75 MOA average with the right ammo with these barrels. So lets say the accuracy isn't hurting at all and at the most maybe a .1 MOA?

Well if the internet says so, must be true. Under what conditions? 1 shot per 30 seconds? Does it string after a 30 round rapid fire session? Regardless, nobody said it couldn't be accurate. Especially given that it's still a hefty barrel. What is a fact is that it would have been stiffer if it weren't spiral cut.

Now lets see what the spiral fluting does do, it allows the fluting to cover a whole lot more surface area of the barrel thus affording a bit more weight reduction which is the reason why LWRCI says they do this process.

When you are education goes beyond what you read on the internet, you'll be able to see past marketing hype and think for yourself. Extreme Shock says their ammo is the deadliest thing since the bomb, accuwedges are claimed to improve accuracy, Taurus judges are marketed as being great for personal defense, etc.... That doesn't mean it's true. Don't be so impressionable.

They aren't trying to improve stiffness, they are trying to lose weight while eliminating some of the stringing issues found with normally fluted barrels.

You eliminate stringing by increasing the rigidity of a barrel. You increase the rigidity by increasing its moment of inertia.

Since most companies cut the flutes into the barrel after they are made and I beams are extruded in the shape that they are destined to be in, your comparison between the two things is invalid and inaccurate.

Perfectly valid even if you can't comprehend it. It's about geometry, not how the material is formed.

Not trying to be a jerk, just saying. This dudes rifle is sick and if I didn't just buy an M42K and a HK45 I would own one of these like yesterday.

You can't be a jerk by showing how uninformed you are. Golf ball dimpling is actually a good way to reduce weight of a barrel and maintain stiffness. The way the load is distributed is similar to honeycomb structures and fairly strong. There is a big difference between that, and a spiral cut which is not even axially symmetric.

35mm,

Thanks for the time you've taken to CIVILLY educate us.  I, as the OP wasn't aware that spiral fluting wasn't as good as straight line fluting, but also didn't buy it because "the flutes add rigidity."  I bought it because it's badass and my dick grew 3 inches around as soon as the NICS approval came through and it was officially mine.  That being said, however, I have to ask why an unfluted barrel of the same diameter would be stiffer than a spiral fluted barrel. My 'gut' is telling me that a spiral fluted barrel should fall somewhere between an unfluted barrel and straight line fluted barrel in terms of rigidity. Since my 'gut' is telling me this, please help me wrap my mind around what you're saying. Realize too, though, that since you're educating us "on the Internet" we have to take your lecture with a grain of salt

I look forward to your response.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't worry about the grumpy guy. He's apparently found a big phrase to use.

Your barrel was stiff enough before the flutes, and stiff enough with the flutes. If it's anything like mine, it will be sub-moa with the right ammo, and it will also be LIGHTER. In a 14.5 inch barrel that is at least .750 and more in diameter, stiffness just isn't an issue.....which is something that the grumpy fella would understand if his intention was anything other than trying to prove to the internetz that he is a brainy dude. Sounds like a pet topic for him, to me.  

That is a beautiful little rig. How you like that ambi lower?
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I almost don't even notice the ambi lower because I'm just so used to right handed controls.  The bolt release on the right side is really nice, but the safety lever can actually prove to be a slight annoyance when disengaged because it will rub on the first pad of my index finger.  I do appreciate the ability to use both sides of the receiver, just in case.  In case of what, I don't know––but nice to have nonetheless.

Oh, and don't ask my wife about my dick growing––she'll deny it and just tell you it looks like the same ol' thumb sticking out of an Afro.

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I almost don't even notice the ambi lower because I'm just so used to right handed controls.  The bolt release on the right side is really nice, but the safety lever can actually prove to be a slight annoyance when disengaged because it will rub on the first pad of my index finger.  I do appreciate the ability to use both sides of the receiver, just in case.  In case of what, I don't know––but nice to have nonetheless.

Oh, and don't ask my wife about my dick growing––she'll deny it and just tell you it looks like the same ol' thumb sticking out of an Afro.

Thumb sticking out of an Afro!  I know a guy who says that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thumb sticking out of an Afro!  I know a guy who says that.

Happy new year, man!
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#34]
One of the primary reasons for fluting is heat dissipation. Spiral flutes would be longer and allow for faster cooling. E.R, Shaw supposedly holds a patent on spiral fluting and claims several advantages over line fluting. Anyway that is an awesome weapon. I have a M6A2 and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Y'all anywhere near the Abilene/San Angelo/Big Spring area?
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Wow did someone piss in your wheaties yesterday? Since you are an engineer can you post up the equations that prove your opinions? Or are these just assumptions based on your extensive engineering background? I think nineisfine said it best, if it is just as stiff as a non fluted barrel and it is lighter its not a gimmick. It is also lighter than a straight fluted barrel would be and it does open more surface area than a straight flute. So please explain to me how this is a gimmick. So lets leave MOI out of the argument, and focus on the other realized benefits, is a lighter rifle a gimmick, is greater surface area for heat dissipation a gimmick, is spiral fluting stronger than no fluting at all? I will be waiting for your response.

ETA: What if the flutes are in the opposite direction of the moment of inertia? I know that isn't the case here but what if, would you still be against it?  

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#37]
By the way OP, how are you liking those skirmish sights?
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Y'all anywhere near the Abilene/San Angelo/Big Spring area?

No, we're in the DFW are––but the guy we know that says that (from whom I shamelessly steal the quote) is from west TX.  

The skirmish sights have yet to be evaluated, as I will be running an optic on this gun, so the BUIS are just that, "Back Ups."  However, I'm quite surprised that they are made of aluminum, yet seem more lightly built than my Magpul BUIS I have on my CMMG upper.  They are svelte––I'll tell you that much!!!  

I appreciate everyone's comments in this thread––those that come to educate, and those who come to applaud my gun.  Let's face it, no one likes when you call their baby ugly, but I'm happy with the appearance of this gun so far.  I haven't put it through its paces yet, but will be excited to have a really tricked out AR that's suppressor ready.  It will be my SBR receiver as well––just gotta get all the necessary paperwork in.  

I bought this gun to be an all around pig/deer getter, and I'm excited to be able to run the heaviest ammo through it that I can––either the 75gr Hornady Superformance, or the SSA 70gr TSX.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I can't get enough, I want more!!! FUCK YEAH! Love the lower billet design, spiral fluting, and oversized trigger guard, iron sights, and more! I want this BAAAD! Congrats =)
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wulfmann

Hey, who gives a rat's ass!  Why don't you try giving the OP a compliment rather than your silly-assed rant!  I'm sure we're all impressed with your technical expertise.  Write to LWRCi with your problem, don't post your frustration here.

Link Posted: 12/31/2011 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#41]
damn it, i love that ambi lower, can't wait till shot show 2012.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:16:11 AM EDT
[#42]
beautiful.....simply beautiful......

trade you my wife for your rifle?
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wulfmann

I think the accuracy achieved through these spiral fluted barrels says you are wrong. Guys are putting up groups as small as .5 MOA and .75 MOA average with the right ammo with these barrels. So lets say the accuracy isn't hurting at all and at the most maybe a .1 MOA? Now lets see what the spiral fluting does do, it allows the fluting to cover a whole lot more surface area of the barrel thus affording a bit more weight reduction which is the reason why LWRCI says they do this process. They aren't trying to improve stiffness, they are trying to lose weight while eliminating some of the stringing issues found with normally fluted barrels. Since most companies cut the flutes into the barrel after they are made and I beams are extruded in the shape that they are destined to be in, your comparison between the two things is invalid and inaccurate. Not trying to be a jerk, just saying. This dudes rifle is sick and if I didn't just buy an M42K and a HK45 I would own one of these like yesterday.

Totally agree fluting is not to make  the barrels more stiff but to maintain most of the stiffness while reducing weight .
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:52:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Awesome rifle OP. As to the ambi safety selector rubbing your pad of your index finger, thats just the nature of it. I countered this by switching to the BAD-ASS. The right side selector is much shorter and thinner.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Beautiful rifle !! I'm sure you will have lots of fun with it . Ignore the haters !! They should start a new Tech post to compare stuff like this instead of raining on your parade .

Happy New Year !!
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Actually, the spiral fluting maintaines rigidity, increases the surface area and actually reduces a 16-inch barrel's weight by 20%.  This first came about with the TRCON M6 Rifles that Jeff Gonzales, President of Trident Concepts, Inc., comissioned LWRC to build.  It was a limited run of 500-rifles that sold out and was highly successful

Plus, a spiral fluted barrel is more satisfying to shove up some scubag's butt than anything else.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ended up taking the plunge and getting an LWRC Spartan.  I was looking at the Operator, but saw on their forum that they were doing a limited run that they called the "Spartan."  I liked the Spartan Helmet and "Molon Labe" engraving on the receiver and "come and take it" on the dust cover, so I told myself I had to have it.  So, the last major impulse buy of 2011 is here!

I just picked it up from my FFL, and all I can say is––WOW.  This thing is tits.  I can't wait to shoot it!

Nice.  I purchased one of the original M6A2 OPERATOR myself.  It should be delivered to my local FFL sometime this week.  I really like the billtted, ambidextrous lower.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#48]
OP nice rifle.  People at work always ask me if an LWRC is worth the coin.  i look at them and smile
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#49]
+1.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#50]
OP - didn't read closely enough to see if you're a lefty or if the IC lower is just a bonus for you - but have you tried releasing the bolt with your right hand using the ambi-bolt release yet?  How is it?  

Also, did the lower come with the Norgon ambi-mag catch?  Most of the IC lowers I've seen have been using the Troy part, I'm glad to see the Norgon part in there (I prefer it to the Troy) and I'm curious as to whether LWRCi is switching them up, or if that's a personal preference thing?

~Augee
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top