Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2011 5:59:15 PM EDT
Anyone try re chamberring a Ruger 556 from  6.8 SPC I to a SPC II?  I know it's a chrome lined rig but that may or may not be an issue.  If some one has done it, who did the work and was the result better than before?  (Accuracy/ reliablility)
Just curious about this.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Contact Ned at Michiguns.  He'll be able to take care of this if you decide to do it.

http://www.m-guns.com/

Have you been shooting the new upper?  How's it running?
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 4:01:33 AM EDT
[#2]
So far so good.  I lke it.  Just nor sure if I want to improve the chamber so I could do re-loads or not worry so much about which amo I get.  I looked up Ned on the web before you posted but his website said that he was not taking any costom work at this time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 4:24:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Somebody over on another forum sent him a barrel recently and had it reamed.  It shouldn't take him very long so he probably doesn't count it as "custom work."

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Can they do it with the barrel stil in the receiver or do they dissassemble it all?
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#5]
On the 6.8 forums there was a reamer pass around.  You did it still in the receiver.  According to the posts it was a straight forward job.  HTH.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
On the 6.8 forums there was a reamer pass around.  You did it still in the receiver.  According to the posts it was a straight forward job.  HTH.

I saw it.  This is why I want to know if the shop will charge me for taking the upper appart or not.  I will call and find out.  
Went to the range today and my 1st 100 yard target was the best,  SSA 110 grain pro hunter.

" />

Well, I guess it isn't going to post the image today.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I think I will probably send out the 6.8 to re-chamber it to SPC-II sometime this winter.  I was thinking of also havig the shop flute the barrel to take a little weight off the front. (Just under the hand gaurds)  Any one try this on the Ruger barrel?  Any reason this should not be attempted?
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 3:12:36 AM EDT
[#8]
You may wish to contact Adco........
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:33:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You may wish to contact Adco........

You know I thought about them since I got my mk-12 upper from them.  (Like it a lot)  However, they don't seem to do much with piston guns or 6.8 when I look at thier website.  I was thinking about a shop in Florida called Ballistic advantage that seems to focus more on 6.8.  Any ideas about them?
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:57:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never heard of them,......call Adco and ask
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Any thought about rebarreling?

I had Marvin Pitts replace the barrel on my SR-556E and I'm very pleased with his work.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Melvin.  That is an option.  I don't hate the gun the way it is but I would like the better chamber and don't want to dump a lot of money into this.  I know lots of guys want to crap all over it but part of me wunders how bad the Ruger forged barrel realy is if it had the correct chamber.  For $70 buck the guys in Florida will re-chamber it on a lathe and re-assemble the upper.  Maybe I should call ADCO too just to see.  I'm not in a real hurry and I'm hoping that somebody on 68 forum has done this before and will post thier experiences.
If I were to re-barrel, you got a Wilson blank in 556 correct?  Probably good in 6.8 also.  I would concider fluting under the hadgaurds too if I were going to re-barrel but I don't want a naked stainless barrel.  I do live rite on the ocean so chrome or stainless are better.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Did you contact Ned?  I think he charged the last guy $35 or something to cut the chamber.

Are you having troubles with the SAAMI chamber?  Getting pressures signs or popping primers with the ammo you're using?  If not, I don't think I'd mess with it.  As I said before, unless you handload, you're not going to really gain anything over available commercial ammo.  With that said, I've been able to handload for my Ruger and get a 90gr bullet to around 3,000 fps with no cratered primers or anything like that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Whoops.  Double Tap!
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did you contact Ned?  I think he charged the last guy $35 or something to cut the chamber.

Are you having troubles with the SAAMI chamber?  Getting pressures signs or popping primers with the ammo you're using?  If not, I don't think I'd mess with it.  As I said before, unless you handload, you're not going to really gain anything over available commercial ammo.  With that said, I've been able to handload for my Ruger and get a 90gr bullet to around 3,000 fps with no cratered primers or anything like that.

Melvin.  Not realy having trouble as much as I want to tighten up my groups to 1 MOA more consistantly.  Part of it may be that I am only usinga  4x scope but I thought that if I had SPC-II I could try some of the SSA tac loads.  (I don't re-load at this time)  Admitadly, I have only tried SSA 110 Pro Hunter so far as I got a bunch of it.  Maybe I should try SSA 115 BTHP.... or something else for plinking ammo.
Have a good Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't think you'll find reaming the chamber will do anything to improve your groups.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Melvin, Do you get the idea that your 556c is more accurate than the 6.8?  That seems to be the case for me and I'm just using PRIVI 55 grain in the 556C with a red dot and no magnification, vs. 110 SSA pro hunter and a 4x VX-R..  Keep in mind these are small targets and the red dot covers up almost the entire target at 100 yards with no magnification.  The cross hairs at 4x on the Leupold cover up the 10 and some of the 9 rings so I can center the cross hairs on what is left to see. The targets for the 6.8 can be better but not consistantly better than the 556.
5 shot 6.8 target on top, 10 shot 556 on bottom

[/img]
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had pretty good luck with the 110gr Pro Hunter in my rifle.  I've also had good experience with Speer's 90gr bullet.

With that said, I don't think the 6.8 is as inherently accurate as the .223.  I don't mean to say that it isn't a good cartridge capable of good accuracy but it does seem to be a little pickier than the .223.  

Get a few various loads from a couple different manufacturers and try that before reaming the chamber.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Melvin, what gas setting are you using on your 6.8 with SSA pro hunter?  Mine is on 2 and it chucks the brass a mile at 5:00, hitting the reflector hard.  Thinking I should open it up to 3 to see what happens next time.  I did order some SSA 115 OTM so we'll see what that is like when it comes in.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Melvin, what gas setting are you using on your 6.8 with SSA pro hunter?  Mine is on 2 and it chucks the brass a mile at 5:00, hitting the reflector hard.  Thinking I should open it up to 3 to see what happens next time.  I did order some SSA 115 OTM so we'll see what that is like when it comes in.

I run mine on the #2 setting and it has been running just fine. It doesn't always cycle fully on #1. I don't think I've tried it on the #3 setting. I don't remember doing so, anyway.

Try turning the gas down to #1 next time you're out. If it locks the bolt back when empty you should be good to go.

Just for curiosity, give a go with the gas turned off. See if your groups improve with the rifle on single shot.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I run mine on the #2 setting and it has been running just fine. It doesn't always cycle fully on #1. I don't think I've tried it on the #3 setting. I don't remember doing so, anyway.

Try turning the gas down to #1 next time you're out. If it locks the bolt back when empty you should be good to go.

Just for curiosity, give a go with the gas turned off. See if your groups improve with the rifle on single shot.

I'll try that next time out.  Good idea.  Temps here are around 30 degrees so perhaps that has a little to do with it? (Groups that is)
When reading the manual, it sounded like it was saying to open the gas setting to bring the rounds to more of a 3:00 position, not close it down to #1.  That is why I was thinking about trying setting #3.  On the other hand, I can see your point about overgassing possibly effecting my groups.
On a different note.  I installeed the anti tilt buffer in the lower, which I use for both 556c & 6.8 uppers.  (The 556 has the roller cam as it was showing a good gouge where the pin strikes the upper reciever after only a few hundred rounds.  It has not sugnificantly increased since I installed the roller.)  Since adding the anti tilt buffer, neither upper has shown any real probles in this area even though the 6.8 does not have the roller cam. (Just a minor contact scratch)  I'll watch it more as I shoot more rounds to see if the anti-tilt buffer prevents the 6.8 from developing this problem.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Went to the range today and got about 20 rounds off.  It was about 32 degrees out so not too cold but I didn't stay too long.  Finaly got downe to a 5 shot 1/2 MOA group @ 100 yards with the Ruger 6.8.  Not too bad.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#23]
What ammo?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Still the 110 gr pro hunter.  I orderred some 115 gr OTM arround Christmas time from SSA but it hasn't come in yet.  I'm down to my last 20 rounds!
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top