AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2011 1:51:28 PM EDT
Off HK USA's website:

Suggested Retail is $3,295

Let me be the first to say HOLY SHIT.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the basis for such an exorbitant price? Is it because of the Heckler & Koch brand name?
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is the basis for such an exorbitant price? Is it because of the Heckler & Koch brand name?

yes, the fanboys will be along shortly to tell you why it's worth that price
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Bah....   I would expect at least a CL barrel with that crazy price.  I bet those are one of the few guns that people will actually buy at MSRP.  Amazing...

"HK. Because you suck.  And we hate you"
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Not an HK "fanboy" but I did buy the MR-556 and yes that's a crazy price.  I thought I was a little "Nuts"  when I got mine for $2500.  Well, I'm starting to feel a little better about it now  A big part of the reason I bought the MR556 was the obvious overal quality of the rifle upon inspection  AND the Many HK Devotees that will keep the value of this gun going up over time.  Never thought it would happen this fast.  I may make it a "safe Queen" for investment reasons.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]

...why wouldnt you want one ,,,,?

Sorry I would just buy another LMT MRP
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep. Many better options out there. That's the truth.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I would wager the price hike is due to cost of production of the German parts
and also that HK is deeply in debt.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would wager the price hike is due to cost of production of the German parts
and also that HK is deeply in debt.

Step 1: Buy MR556
Step 2: Wait for HK to go out of business
Step 3: Sell MR556
Step 4: Profit!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Non chrome lined barrel - (unlike the Military 416 version)

~"Plastic" dust cover
~Proprietary bolt (About $200 for a replacement)
~Proprietary carrier
~Proprietary firing pin  (Spring loaded by the way, extra Hk spring ALONE costs = $19.97) (Extra Hk firing pin $50.00)
Want an "Official" Hk 416/556 Manual? = $50.00

~Spring loaded takedown pins? C'mon really? I know !  - they take out the "play" between the receivers ...well one would firgure for that
price tag you would have somewhat more of a handfitted weapon, rather than band aid type devices, to take out play.
Better machining tolerances is the key for proper fitting receivers.

The fact that you have to "remove" the handguard, with a tool - just to get to the gas piston assembly ?=
(Poor design)

Is it a good rifle - yes. Are there better rifles out there with the same, if not better quality/design? YOU BET !!

Will people shell out thou$and$ to "Be the first kid on the block with the new Teutonic pleasure toy? YOU BET !!

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I really hope the guys in the teams at least get free schwag from HK for single handedly boosting their sales of their rifles.

How long until we see "SEAL Team 6, brought to you by HK and SIG"

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Amen to that!  At least with the MRP, you get a front loading piston design, quick change chrome-lined barrel, and more standard AR15 parts.  My Piston MRP was much cheaper...

I wouldn't mind having one of the HK hammer forged, chrome lined barrels though.   Judging from the amount of throat erosion on my LMT barrel after 8K rounds, I would say the LMT barrel life is somewhere around 10K rounds of fairly hard use.  I've heard the HK 416 ones go up to 30K.

I think defensereview did a head to head comparison.   The LMT has softer recoil as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I am a HKoolAid Drinker but you would have to be an utter retard to buy that rifle at that price. The MR762 is going to be around 4300 and probably have the same problems as the MR556 and it will have one more, proprietary magazines. I like my HKoolAid but this latest batch of drinks tastes like dookie.

Land Warfare Resource Company International all the way. Every bit of the HK and then some.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am a HKoolAid Drinker but you would have to be an utter retard to buy that rifle at that price.

That says a lot considering it's from a fanboy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a HKoolAid Drinker but you would have to be an utter retard to buy that rifle at that price.

Almost all of my handguns except for my summer carry and my .44mag (Everyone should own one) are HKs. My wife carries a sig P238. I was going to get the MR556 when I bought my LWRC. The thing that swayed me was the price in relation to all the you don't get. I think its a great rifle for 2K, even at 2200 I could have convinced myself to look past all the proprietary stuff and utter lazyness executed in their barrel. At 2500 it was too expensive for what it is and is damn sure too expensive at 3K with dealer mark down. If it had been a semi auto 416 I could have swallowed it at 2500. I still love my pistols and I am sure this is a fine rifle and 99% of end users won't ever notice the lack of battle rifle abilities, but call me that 1% that will.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost all of my handguns except for my summer carry and my .44mag (Everyone should own one) are HKs. My wife carries a sig P238. I was going to get the MR556 when I bought my LWRC. The thing that swayed me was the price in relation to all the you don't get. I think its a great rifle for 2K, even at 2200 I could have convinced myself to look past all the proprietary stuff and utter lazyness executed in their barrel. At 2500 it was too expensive for what it is and is damn sure too expensive at 3K with dealer mark down. If it had been a semi auto 416 I could have swallowed it at 2500. I still love my pistols and I am sure this is a fine rifle and 99% of end users won't ever notice the lack of battle rifle abilities, but call me that 1% that will.

2500 for a semi auto 416 would be reasonable.    I still would rather have a similarly priced SCAR 16s, 17S or a Bushmaster ACR. The ergonomics on both rifles just feel awesome to me.  I've told myself that I'm going to wait a couple of years to see if the SCAR or ACR turn out to be solid carbines.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't get me wrong I like Hk firearms ...

I have owned Hk91's 94's and a 93
Hk USP 9mm and a Hk USP EXPERT in 45 ACP

But in all honesty the MR556 is a waterdowned clone of the 416 - sold  to civillians ...for "conspicuous consumption"
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2500 for a semi auto 416 would be reasonable.    I still would rather have a similarly priced SCAR 16s, 17S or a Bushmaster ACR. The ergonomics on both rifles just feel awesome to me.  I've told myself that I'm going to wait a couple of years to see if the SCAR or ACR turn out to be solid carbines.

I read in an AAR for a defensive carbine class that two ACRs in the same class failed. I will try to find the quote. My friend in SF said his SCAR is running fine, but its a 10".

ETA:

One shooter brought a brand new ACR. This is only the second one we have seen at class- the other one died on T1. This had some issues as well, including some issues with the magazines dropping out of the gun after they were locked in.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 1:02:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I held one at a gun show and next to it was a Ruger 556.  The Ruger was around $1000 cheaper.  Even if money was no object for me, I would still choose it over the HK.  Screw HK and their over inflated retarded price.  Also, PMAGs rule over HK mags.
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Also, PMAGs rule over HK mags.

Amen! Preach that truth brotha.

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top