Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/29/2011 6:59:38 AM EDT
Does the gas piston system change cycle rates in full auto and does barrel length effect cycle rate in the piston systems?
Any problems with pistons over heating in FA and causing problems?
Also what is the Fail Zero kit from Osprey?  I didn't see any listings on their website.

Thanks
SS33
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does the gas piston system change cycle rates in full auto and does barrel length effect cycle rate in the piston systems?
Also what is the Fail Zero kit from Osprey?  I didn't see any listings on their website.

Thanks
SS33

Depends. are you talking a system dialed and built as a piston system, or a after market clamp on system? barrel length to gas port position can have an effect on the rate just as in a DI system.

No, have not seen any problems with the systems I have played with.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea I was talking about the after piston kits like Adams Arms and Osprey,
I know they have problems with DI systems and 10-11" barrels and cycle rates.  Also remember some problems with earlier 14.5 CAR cycle rates as opposed to full length gas systems and barrels.  I was wondering if the gas piston system was more reliable in the shorter gas systems.  
Was wondering what experiences people have had with the gas piston in the smaller length gas systems.  Also wondering on the 9mm

Thanks for the input
SS33
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks
SS33

Mine's on a 11.5" 5.56mm bbl.

It didn't SEEM to change the cyclic rate of mine (but the cyclic rate has not been instrument tested).  My upper got too hot to hold without gloves or a rag wrapped around the hand guard, but installing a MI 4 rail hand guard with its zillion cooling holes fixed that.  Heat never affected the operation.  Note:  apparently my Osprey hand guard set was an earlier one without cooling holes in the upper guard; later Osprey hand guards have cooling holes.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Buffers also effect rates. Im a huge fan of Enidine buffers with Adams Arms piston systems; the attached video I just threw together from clips I made last year of testing different length AA uppers with Enidine and stock H2 buffers. The uppers are about 2 years old now, the Enidine buffer I know people question reliability Enidine used in the video is 2 years old now has about 10,000rds on it of both full/semi auto fire. Both uppers still going strong today no issues in terms of reliabilty, both have about 5,000rds each thru them.

Not huge strings of fire in the video I was dumping 10rd burst to test controlabilty. Forgive my poor Windows Movie Maker skills.

Full Auto test
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Buffers also effect rates. Im a huge fan of Enidine buffers with Adams Arms piston systems; the attached video I just threw together from clips I made last year of testing different length AA uppers with Enidine and stock H2 buffers. The uppers are about 2 years old now, the Enidine buffer I know people question reliability Enidine used in the video is 2 years old now has about 10,000rds on it of both full/semi auto fire. Both uppers still going strong today no issues in terms of reliabilty, both have about 5,000rds each thru them.

Not huge strings of fire in the video I was dumping 10rd burst to test controlabilty. Forgive my poor Windows Movie Maker skills.

Full Auto test

Nice video.  What is an Enidine buffer?  Are you happy with your Adams Arms piston system?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Very happy,
Prior to Adams Arms was not a piston fan at all, trade off in increased felt recoil of piston system for just a cleaner cooler system was not enough. Adams Arms piston systems are just as smooth as DI guns. now best of both worlds!

Enidine hydrolic buffer,you can check them out at brownells.com they run about $90. I have them in most of my guns DI and Pistons. If your not running full auto to slow the rate, side benefit for semi-guns they help smooth recoil.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Very happy,
Prior to Adams Arms was not a piston fan at all, trade off in increased felt recoil of piston system for just a cleaner cooler system was not enough. Adams Arms piston systems are just as smooth as DI guns. now best of both worlds!

Enidine hydrolic buffer,you can check them out at brownells.com they run about $90. I have them in most of my guns DI and Pistons. If your not running full auto to slow the rate, side benefit for semi-guns they help smooth recoil.

Ok found it.....
I was at the Knob Creek Machine gun shoot a couple weeks ago and a company named MGI had a buffer that they "said" was better than the hydrolic buffers.  It looked nice, but I've emailed them twice since then and no reply.  Cost was close I think a little more, but they claimed it worked like a hydrolic but it was mechanical and more dependable.  The video was great! There is a definite difference in the buffers, but I still am wondering about the piston vs DI.  You say the AA piston system is less recoil than the Osprey?  I know they claim they eliminate carrier binding and make it more straight line, but a really don't know the differences of the two systems.  

I did like the AA 3 adjustments for my 300 fireball aka 300 blackout, but I already have an adjustable gas system in place.  I wonder how it does with the subsonic ammo of the 300 Blackout. I like the piston because it's so much cleaner, but I just don't have enough info on them yet to wanna jump in without knowing more about each system.   The Osprey and Adams look to be the 2 most reliable by what I have read here and on another website.

I've also been wondering with all the extra moving parts up front if it effects the accuracy at all?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
no effect on accuracey maybe gen 1 piston technology from 10 years ago did with crappy barrels not with todays piston guns.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top