Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2011 7:04:33 AM EDT
Hey all,

I was looking into purchasing an m6a2 from LWRC.  I have heard great things. I want to purchase the 16.7 inch model.  I would like a longer rail system though.  Something about the free floating barrel coming out that long is something I dont like aesthetically.  

I would prefer the rail system to come up within a few inches to the muzzle, such as the 10,7 inch model on the bottom.  Are there after market options for a longer rail system for this type of carbine?  Let me know.

http://www.avguns.com/igallery/m6a2P-3Z.jpg

-MannytheGreek

Link Posted: 2/3/2011 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#1]
You could get the 14.7 with a PA FH or look at the M6A2-S.  S=STRETCH; it's a 6 built on the 3's midlength gas system.

But I wouldn't do any of that for the way it LOOKS.

I have 2xLWRCs and I'm in love...they aren't for everyone, but if you look at all the custom features (i.e. stuff you would add to your rifle anyway) you get for the $ they are a smoking deal.
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't even see the M6A2-S on their products page anyway. Only the M6A1-S. The M6A2 is already a midlength gas system with midlength rails as is. Unless now the M6A2-S is the ONLY M6A2, but the gas block doesn't stick out from the rails like I thought it did.

OP, you can wait a little bit until the SPR handguards become available for separate purchase. They're REPR style rails meant for the 5.56 platform.

This is what they look like on the M6A2-SPR they just unveiled at SHOT 2011. The barrel is 16 inches:

(For some strange reason the barrel looks closer to 18 or 20 inches, but LWRC says it's 16.1)

All you'd have to do is get the 16.1" M6A2, and change the rails, and you'd be all set.
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The M6A2 is a carbine length gas system. Only the M6A2 Stretch, A1 stretch, and A3 are middies until the SPR makes it out into the world.  And yes, as far as I know, the new SPR handguard is the only option for retrofitting a longer forend. I'm sure they will produce it as a accessory.

A fabulous writeup of the Stretch can be seen below:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/lwrc/
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks pretty cool!  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Are there after market options for a longer rail system for this type [LWRCi M6 series] of carbine?
-MannytheGreek

Right Now: NO

They are suppossed to be producing the SPR soon though.

The SPR "REPR style" 5.56/6.8 rails are still aways off before they produce them as a stand alone product:

Quote by Jesse from the LWRCi Forum:

The initial runs of SPR rails will first be dedicated to the SPR rifles. As production increases for the rails we will begin to sell them individualy. The biggest issue is the specialized fixtures and wrench to install them as they are not cheap to make. We may need to develope a cerified dealer program for the sale and installation of these rails. Things to ponder!!!

I wish there was another rail system longer than the stock 9" rail that would FIT and allow proper functioning.

~Will
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Apparently the new SAMSON Evolution Rail fits!

Reasonably priced too!

hello,
the Evolution rail will fit the LWRC M6A2. you can float it right over the gas block. it does contact the knuckle on top of the gas block but when mounted with that contact it makes the rail flat and in line with the upper receiver.

thanks,
Andrew Dreher
Samson Manufacturing Corporation

Technical Support / Sales

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The SPR is set to be released this month. Most LWRCI resellers are taking pre-orders. Once the rifle is out and they get some of the complete rifles out, they will start selling the uppers and rails only.

Might want to check out the LWRCI forums for more details.

MP
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The SPR is set to be released this month. Most LWRCI resellers are taking pre-orders. Once the rifle is out and they get some of the complete rifles out, they will start selling the uppers and rails only.

Might want to check out the LWRCI forums for more details.

MP

Yeah LWRCi has been 'talking' about releasing the SPR rails since the 2010 SHOT Show.  If you look a couple posts up you'll see I quoted Jesse from the 9" rail thread over there.

Granted, they are taking their time and engineering everything very well.  I have no doubt.

However, SPR rails just aren't a money maker for them.  They aren't made in house (or so I'm told - I could be wrong).  So they have to mark them up to get a profit out of them.  I bet they are going to be between $450 to $700 for their SPR rail.

The SAMSON rails don't sound like a FREE FLOAT if there is contact either!  BUT, if one gets the right rail that is cut out for a gas block and then adds the extension - then that is a viable option that is available NOW.

Not 'maybe next quarter' or 'its going to be expensive'.

I am not bagging on LWRCi.  I love my rifle, they just have other priorities in their business plan & I'm cool with that.

However, I am also a consumer/customer and I like options & I have money to spend.

I also like one of the C.S. quotes that they have at LWRCi:

There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else.
-Sam Walton

~Will
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If I was looking for new rails for an M6A2, I believe those new Wilson rails look like they will fit. They can be found in the New Products section.

MP
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Check LWRCI.com's forums.

Its been said the SPR rails will not be able to be purchased from LWRC.

The reason being, you would have to alter your own gas block or something.

They are only making the new SPR's with the rail, and to send yours in would take them a while to set it up.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Repost from the LWRCi forum:  MEANING: NOT ME!

But some good info:

Edit: Finally got some pictures hosted

I have been piecing together a gun from parts I have tried out and have either failed me or just didn't suit me for what ever reason.

This gun was basically being built around a M6A2 upper I have that hasn't served me well, but functions 99% of the time. It was to use lower parts that did not turn out to be quality as I learned more like a RRA nm trigger or a stag ambi selector. Also used is a PWS piston buffer tube to deal with carrier tilt I had.

I have my Aimpoint on it because I found out I have astigmatism and the dot blooms for me. There are fixed DD rear and Troy front irons. I found I preferred folding for use with my ACOG.

Then there are parts like an Armadynamics ambi charging handle, POF roller cam pin and Adams arms bolt spring. These are parts I wanted to try in the past but I don't trust them from a reliability stand point. Since this is a range toy now they have found a good home.

I particularly dis-like the LWRC rail and think its a pos. It is heavy, short and doesn't line up with the receiver. When I sent my upper back to LWRC for issues it was having they installed a new upper receiver, it came back to me with ripped and bent tabs for aligning the rail to the upper receiver.

I saw the Samson for end I put it on a LW upper I have that used a DD 14.5" CHF LW barrel. I like how light it was but was not totally sold on how it attached to the gun. After trying it I decided to suck up the extra weight and spend the money time and to put a DD 12" lite rail on it. It is my go to gun and I wanted it done right.

I had the Samson rail sitting in my tool box at my shop while I have been piecing together this gun with scraps I had. I decided it would only be logical to use it on this project.

I took off the LWRC rail and took some measurements with calipers to figure out how much I would need to grind out of the Samson rail. It seemed fairly minimal and I decided to test fit the Samson rail to see just how bad a fit it was. It slipped right on with no fuss and lined up well. I know the piston parts won't rub because the gas block is taller than it.

To be clear. It goes on with no modifications at all. You remove the four allens for the LWRC rail, snap on the Samson heat sink, slide on the for end and tighten two allens, done. Takes five minutes, if that.

I think the Samson Evolution rail has its flaws, but is much better than the LWRC rail. The Samson Evolution is: Longer, thinner, much lighter, cheaper and attaches better than the LWRC rail.

LWRC is releasing the SPR rail, but it will require a different barrel nut and more smithing. It would especially be prohibitive for guns with a pinned muzzle device. Then there is pricing and availability. The 11” Samson rail I have was 159$ and uses the factory barrel nut.

Me personally I am on the pre-order for Raiier's version in 12".

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top