Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2011 6:46:40 PM EDT
Sorry if this is a Re-Post, I checked to see if it was and didn't see anything, so here's a vid from Shot Show:
Piston M4

How about Colt finally making a piston M4?

I feel they are doing this to try and keep competitive with the new Army's need for a piston carbine, but I highly doubt we'll see it for a while on the civilian market.

What are everybody's thoughts?  What say you?
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like a good run down on the operation system before I make a conclusion...
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]

I'm surprised to see them go the piston AR route. We'll see how it tests out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw the DI versio of this at the IACP police show in Orlando last year.   They told me that the folding stock is for law enforcement only and that they wouldn't have it available for civilian sales.   So unless something changes, I am not interested.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
LE only is silly and DI is so last year.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#5]
.....pass. More LE/Mil Use Only- Cool-Aid...alot  better choices out there
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sorry if this is a Re-Post, I checked to see if it was and didn't see anything, so here's a vid from Shot Show:
Piston M4

I feel they are doing this to try and keep competitive with the new Army's need for a piston carbine, but I highly doubt we'll see it for a while on the civilian market.

Considering Colt has had a piston carbine design since the late 60's I don't know about that.

Quoted:
.....pass. More LE/Mil Use Only- Cool-Aid...a lot  better choices out there

See above.  Colt had a piston AR before all the other companies who have them now ever existed.  They probably know a thing or two about AR15s as they have built millions of them.  What could you possibly be basing your statement about better choices on?

Quoted:

Please......

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Piston M4

Considering Colt has had a piston carbine design since the late 60's I don't know about that.

Quoted:

See above.  Colt had a piston AR before all the other comanies who have them now ever existed.  They probably know a thing or two about AR15s as they have built millions of them.  What could yo possibly be basing your statement about better choices on?

Quoted:

Please......

Off the top of my head,

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:27:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not conveyed well, the it's for LE only thing is what I disagree with.  I have some "for LE only" mags, they aren't different or special, just a stupid stamp just like making that stock for LE only like it's a dangerous buttstock.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:19:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Colt is behind the times as usual.  Playing catch-up now to LWRC.

Where is all of the detailed content/coverage from SHOT this year?  All we're getting is a few pics and some lame videos.  Like others have already stated, I'd like to see detailed pics/specs on the design and function of this new C piston system itself.  That stock looks like crap, but is probably serves it's purpose decently.  

Bryant
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:32:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I find it very interesting how so many of the old timers on these forums continue to prop up the DI system so hard and are STILL trying to make others believe it's better than the new GP systems.  I don't see it.  Now that the almighty Colt has come out with a piston, you'll all be running to get one.  To each his own, but I would never purchase a DI system again after what I've seen with the pistons.  And piston systems will keep on getting better!

Now I want to see Noveske put out a GP with an adjustable GB/Switchblock.      Pretty please?

Bryant
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Colts 6940 is a great gun and dont' forget Colt receives great feed back from the sand box on the DI system, I think they are happy to stay DI.

Maybe, but didn't Colt just lose out over the HK 416 to the USMC, maybe Colt is starting to understand why they lost.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Although patents would likely get in the way, I'd like to see some sort of standardization amongst piston manufacturers. While it may be sometime down the road, *if* the U.S. military ever adopts one that will likely set the standard (for better or for worse).
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colts 6940 is a great gun and dont' forget Colt receives great feed back from the sand box on the DI system, I think they are happy to stay DI.

Maybe, but didn't Colt just lose out over the HK 416 to the USMC, maybe Colt is starting to understand why they lost.

That was for the IAR.  That rifle fits a pretty specific role.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An obvious excuse to get a piston battle tested.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK.....

Or, more likely, the rifle they selected met the criteria they were looking for.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Stoner was a big supporter of DI - and there is nothing wrong with it - or piston for that matter.
I own LMT factory Di and Piston rifles
My issues are not with the weapon -but with the company itself. As mentioned piston AR type weapons have been around since the
60's but with Colt itself...

Now they are saying the new buttstocks will only be available to LE/Mil Only...hmmm

I am active LE and I prob would have no problem getting one - but it infuriates me
that ordinary "Joe Blow" shooter cannot have one -as dictated by nothing more than corp. policy.
Thats flat out wrong and I turn away from companies like that
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Colt was the first manufacturer with a piston AR.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not conveyed well, the it's for LE only thing is what I disagree with.  I have some "for LE only" mags, they aren't different or special, just a stupid stamp just like making that stock for LE only like it's a dangerous buttstock.

Often items that have a limited market are not released to the general public, simply for cost reasons.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:46:59 AM EDT
[#20]
"Law Enforcement Only"  Nice.  Is this a marketing scheme to LE so that they feel they have something "better" than us lowly citizens?

I should start manufacturing snake oil.  I will label some of it "Law Enforcement Only".  That way they will have something even more useless than my standard product.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:57:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Piston M4

See here.

This video indicates it is a standard M4 with DI not a piston gun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK.....

Or, more likely, the rifle they selected met the criteria they were looking for.

Yeah, something reliable

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Armalite Rifle 18
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Colt always seems to make what they want to, not what the consumer wants. I am not a big fan of DI (I know a lot of guys say theres nothing wrong with it and thats fine) I just dont like a system that shits where it eats and requires the atention the DI system needs (Lubrication as it must be run wet to work right). I would like to see Colt make this piston rifle for us lowly civilians eventually, I feel the same way about Remington's new piston AR they feel is too good for us. I wish Armalite would do something with their AR180 these days, if they would put a real 1/7 barrel thats chrome lined and has a pinned gas block, a railed handguard, a metal lower and folding stock they wouldnt be able to keep them in stock. It would compete well with all the whiz bang rifles like the ACR and SCAR that are bassically modernized versions of it anyway. Companies never seem to connect with the public if you think about it, you often find your self scratching your head about the stuff they wont make that they could make a killing on.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Armalite Rifle 18

I hope you aren't serious.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"Law Enforcement Only"  Nice.  Is this a marketing scheme to LE so that they feel they have something "better" than us lowly citizens?

I should start manufacturing snake oil.  I will label some of it "Law Enforcement Only".  That way they will have something even more useless than my standard product.

I think just the opposite is true..
You stamp "Mil-spec"  "Tactical"  "Spec-ops"  "Operator"  "LE/Mil use only" - on something ....and people will buy it.
it's a marketing tool for the "Tacti-cool" crowd to drool over...

IExample - 've seen "Tactical" printed on ammunition boxes of 5,56mm -     How can ammo be tactical ...?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Armalite Rifle 18

I'm as serious as an erection problem.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Armalite Rifle 18

Your saying Colt introduced the first piston AR?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Armalite Rifle 18

They had a piston design in the late 60's and early 70's.  It was never released.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, something reliable

If you don't think the M4 is reliable, you must be using.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Armalite Rifle 18

They had a piston design in the late 60's and early 70's.  It was never released.

The AR-18 was designed at ArmaLite in California by Arthur Miller, George Sullivan, and Charles Dorchester in 1963 as an improved alternative to the AR-15 design, which had just been selected by the U.S. military as the M16.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Armalite Rifle 18

The AR-18 was designed at ArmaLite in California by Arthur Miller, George Sullivan, and Charles Dorchester in 1963 as an improved alternative to the AR-15 design, which had just been selected by the U.S. military as the M16.

And never gained ANY traction.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, something reliable

using? what do ya mean?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Armalite Rifle 18

I never said it did?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Armalite Rifle 18

I never said it did?

So, whats your point?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I never said it did?

I think the problem comes with the terminology here.  While the Armalite AR-180 may have been an "AR" it's not an AR-15 pattern rifle.  The Colt piston gun was.  It used and AR-15 type lower.  And AR-180 and AR-15 don't have a ton in common with each other.  Usually when people talk about "ARs" they are talking about AR-15 types not an AR-180.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, something reliable

using? what do ya mean?

Mind altering substances.  

The M4 is plenty reliable with it's PROVEN DI design.  It is an assault rifle, though, not a machine gun and was not designed to be used like a machine gun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, something reliable

using? what do ya mean?

The M4 is plenty reliable with it's PROVEN DI design.  It is an assault rifle, though, not a machine gun and was not designed to be used like a machine gun.

Thats the M4's "Achilles heel".
I see no reason to be rude, accusing me of drug use.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, something reliable

using? what do ya mean?

So the achillies heel of the M4 is that it wasn't designed to be something it's not?

Interesting.  That must be what's wrong with my truck as well.  It doesn't work as a boat.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, something reliable

using? what do ya mean?

So the achillies heel of the M4 is that it wasn't designed to be something it's not?

Interesting.  That must be what's wrong with my truck as well.  It doesn't work as a boat.

Oh man, I should have see this coming!

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Armalite Rifle 18

From my reading the AR18 was designed as a" cost alternative" to the more expensive Colt M16..
The only group that really adopted it in numbers was the IRA..

There is also a news reel footage of Fidel Castro when he initially took power -riding in the back of a jeep - with an AR18 on his hip,
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top