Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2010 5:25:27 AM EDT
Which would you buy if you could only have one... A new LWRCI M6A2 or a new FN SCAR 16s? Which would last longer?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 5:32:46 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a dangerous topic because people are passionate about their guns.   So I will keep things friendly here...

I chose to buyanLWRC M6A2 instead of a SCAR for a few reasons.

1.  The stock on the SCAR is a little flimsy feeling, and there have been a few that have broke them.
2.  You cannot get adequate spare parts for the SCAR now or in the near future.  Give FN a call and ask them for some spare barrels, bolt carrier group, fire control parts, etc.  They don't exist.  All warranty work has to be done by FN and you user serviceable parts for the major operating system of the rifle.  
3.  LWRC comes with Troy BUIS standard, Emod stock, magpul grip.

Other than that they are both great weapon platforms.   The SCARS are very accurate and will last a very long time, and so will the LWRCS.

The sheer availablity for aftermarket parts for the AR-15 platform keeps me away from proprietary systems.   The SCAR will proably never replace the M-4 the way things are going with budget cuts.  So I say stick with the AR-15 platform for now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I would go LWRC, the SCAR is flimsy and I personaly dont care for the reciprocating charging handle. Parts are an issue for the FN as well and we dont seem to get the same quality as the military gets with FN guns. I had a FS2000 that began to melt from the inside out and hear on here of charging handles being broken off of them. The LWRC is a durable well made accurate rifle, and LWRC is a good company.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#3]
#3 for LWRC.

Do the research and you will see the LWRC has at least a couple of desirable technical features (CFH nitro bbl, ion-bonded BCG, etc.) plus a few things like LWRC has piggy backed with several LEO/MIL agencies.  This means that even though their weapon(s) may not have been adopted by said agency, they have passed all the same tests and are authorized for individual officer/agent purchase...DEA and DoJ are two that come to mine.

Check out the LWRC forums.

Oh, M6A2-S American Sniper LE + M6A2-S 6.8.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#4]
For the longest time the SCAR was grossly overpriced and hard to come by. I might have fallen prey to the hype if they weren't.  

My PERSONAL experience with FN is that they totally SUCK in regard to customer service.  I've vowed never to buy another FN product.  That said my PS90 and FiveseveN pistol aren't bad pieces, but I simply refuse to reward sh*tty performance.

You have any AR time?  If so,  that makes a high-end AR that you understand, can fix/modify, and already have good muscle memory on  functionality pretty hard to top.  I just don't see what you'd be missing if you got the right stock and accessories for the LWRC.

You'll have to be rich to wear either of them out.  If and when it does happen, you'd have an AR back up and running in no time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#5]
All very good points... I already have a M6 and a M6A2 and I was thinking of selling the A2 to help fund a SCAR. I think I'll just keep what I have and be happy .

Thanks,

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Let the SCAR get some time on it...if it ever does...looks like the light has been canc'ed by the .mil for now.  Early adopters (Rangers and USAF JTACS/PJs) are the only ones I've seen with them in theater...could be more, but I haven't seen them...and the way it looks like it going to go, they'll be the only ones.

I'd be perfectly happy with an LWRC (or two).
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#7]
lwrc m6a2 +1
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, I've never seen this much LWRC Love on ARFCOM...normally it's an automatic Colt or BCM no matter what the OP asks about.

Like I always say, do the research and LWRC will be hard to pass up...anything else is, well, something else.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 1:21:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wow, I've never seen this much LWRC Love on ARFCOM...normally it's an automatic Colt or BCM no matter what the OP asks about.

Like I always say, do the research and LWRC will be hard to pass up...anything else is, well, something else.

I own lots of Colts and recently bought an LWRC which I haven't one complaint about.  LWRC makes a very nice rifle indeed!!!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Agreed,  
I love those responses...
" i need a varmint gun" "COLT 6920, ONLY COLT HAS THE TDP HERPDERP"
"i need a grizzly bear gun" "G19 WITH FMJ WILL BE FINE HERPDERP"

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]
+2 for lwrc m6a2
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a M6A2 and love it.  I have shot the SCAR and am not impressed.  I would not sell my M6A2 to buy a SCAR.  I wouldn't even trade straight across (unless I had a buyer already lined up for the SCAR and would buy a M6A2-S to replace it with!)

I like the customization available to the M6A2 (except for the Rail - no long rail aftermarket rails - when is that new LWRC longer rail due out...?)

Which would last longer?  Well, I'd have to say the LWRC as there are spare parts available to have on hand!  The SCAR?  Send off and wait & wait.

Hold where you are at, look at the grass on the other side, but its definately greener from where you are at!

~Will
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#13]
LWRCi for me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just bought the M6A2.

Well?

What do you think?

Another here for LWRC.

-Ed

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#17]
happy 10.5" M6A2 and PSD owner checking in..
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I was in the same boat and decided to get the SCAR.

Link
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I own neither and both are fine weapons, however the SCAR is one ugly mofo IMO.  

Personally, I would get the LWRC first since you know you have to get both of them eventually  if you live by the Arfcom creed.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I got both!
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I got both!

I did, too. You can't go wrong with that choice.

Link Posted: 8/15/2010 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#22]
M6A2
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 2:09:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I own approximately 3.7 LWRCs (M6A1-S, PSD pistol, REPR, M6AK upper), and keep on eyeballing an M6 at the local store (I'd already have it, but things are tight with the new son finally here).

I have yet to pull the trigger on getting a SCAR, although the 17s is tempting, and I've had numerous opportunities to pick one up at near dealer cost.

That about covers my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Yet another vote for the M6A2.

I own one, as well as the new M6AK (5.45x39).

LWRC = high quality, durablility, high performance, longevity

SCAR = overpriced, overhyped, underperformance

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 1:42:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I would say they are both over priced companies. I like lwrc and thought about getting the A3, but you can buy similar ar for cheaper. But If your bent on getting one of those rifle, go with lwrc. At least you won't have to worry about crappy customer service and more parts are available should something go wrong.

What I really like about the scar is, it does look different, has side charging handle and its ambidextrous. I'm a lefty so the scar would suit me better. Wished more AR companies would adopt the side charging handle and be more ambidextrous instead of having to buy special parts to make them ambidextrous.

Quoted:
Yet another vote for the M6A2.

LWRC = high quality, durablility, high performance, longevity

SCAR = overpriced, overhyped, underperformance

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 3:53:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I didn't know that they were actually producing 5.45 uppers at this point!  I've got one of the original 5.45 prototypes from the LWRC Springfield factory and NEVER thought the 5.45 project would get off the ground.  

What are the specs on the M6AKs?
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I would say they are both over priced companies. I like lwrc and thought about getting the A3, but you can buy similar ar for cheaper. But If your bent on getting one of those rifle, go with lwrc. At least you won't have to worry about crappy customer service and more parts are available should something go wrong.

The difference with the LWRC is that everything is at least second tier or better. You get the heavy duty barrel (no pencil barrel) with 1:7 (not 1:9), you get the front quad rails, Troy sights, Magpul grip and trigger guard, Emod stock, and more. Upgrade the "similar" rifle to have all that and I think you will find it's not much cheaper, if at all. The other thing I would recommend is to go to a gun store that sells both and run them through a quick function check. The LWRC will be rock solid, and will make the imitator feel cheap. I did it, and will never be as satisifed with another (LWRC will spoil you). And yes, their CS is excellent.

M6AK specs: http://www.lwrci.com/t-m6ak.aspx

It's a limited run.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't know that they were actually producing 5.45 uppers at this point!  I've got one of the original 5.45 prototypes from the LWRC Springfield factory and NEVER thought the 5.45 project would get off the ground.  

What are the specs on the M6AKs?

http://www.lwrci.com/p-198-m6-ak-545mm.aspx

Caliber: 5.45x39mm
Barrel Length: 14.7" - 1/8" Twist Rate
Hand Guard: ARMR-C quad rail
Front Sight: None
Rear Sight: None
Muzzle Device:A2 Flash Hider:

5.56 - 1/2 - 28 TPI;

Permanently Attached

I really need to get some ammo and get out with mine.  Very cool upper.

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is a dangerous topic because people are passionate about their guns.   So I will keep things friendly here...

I chose to buyanLWRC M6A2 instead of a SCAR for a few reasons.

1.  The stock on the SCAR is a little flimsy feeling, and there have been a few that have broke them.
2.  You cannot get adequate spare parts for the SCAR now or in the near future.  Give FN a call and ask them for some spare barrels, bolt carrier group, fire control parts, etc.  They don't exist.  All warranty work has to be done by FN and you user serviceable parts for the major operating system of the rifle.  
3.  LWRC comes with Troy BUIS standard, Emod stock, magpul grip.

Other than that they are both great weapon platforms.   The SCARS are very accurate and will last a very long time, and so will the LWRCS.

The sheer availablity for aftermarket parts for the AR-15 platform keeps me away from proprietary systems.   The SCAR will proably never replace the M-4 the way things are going with budget cuts.  So I say stick with the AR-15 platform for now.

+1  He said it all.   Heres mine at my 300 yd plate. ML3 Aimpoint on LRT mount.

I've had an M6A2 for almost two years now. It has been FLAWLESS!  A QUALITY mfg from start to end.
And a Company that seems to live for customer service.  

My 5.45 upper came in yesterday...so I guess I own one and one HALF LWRC's.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=507520   thread on "Variants" section regarding my gun with a few pics.

FN in MT

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I liked my M6A2/Aimpoint so much my next purchase was a M6A3/ ACOG TA11B. .

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I own both and would go with the LWRC.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top