Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/3/2010 4:28:37 AM EDT
Like the thread title says.... has anyone done any true testing of their rifles before and after installing a piston conversion?
Did changing over to piston change the harmonics of the barrel for you reloaders and did you change your charge weight because of it?
I reload for accuracy in all my rifles and was wondering if the piston kits caused a change in accuracy for some of you, or if you saw any change at all.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Only a marginal decrease in accuracy judging from the pictures.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I've put together two different rifles using the same barrels (WOA 18" midlength SPR).  One was DI and the other with an AA piston kit.  Though not the same rifle, they did shoot on par with each other with factory ammo and the same 68gr BTHP custom loads.  I wish I had the time and money to do a full out range report since words seldom cut it on the net.  Considering that they are two different rifles, I'm sure each would respond better to loads specifically made for them.

According to one of AA's videos, "the tolerances between the sleeve and plug allows the drive rod to float freely keeping the harmonics from being transfered to the barrel and making the Adams Arms piston system the most accurate on the market."  Degradation of accuracy has a lot to do with the host rifle and the piston system being used.

That ARES range test was quite in depth and it was using the same rifle.  However, not all piston systems are the same nor will every rifle react the same way to a kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRoxCxkK68c
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top