Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2009 2:02:57 PM EDT
I installed the system last Wednesday. it went in fine after following the directions and I had to run to the store to get another tool.

I have a bushmaster m4a3 16inch barrel with eotech  512 HWS

I went to the range today. I brought the following ammo:
- Tula practice .223 55gr x 300
- Wolf .223 55gr x 200
- PMC bronze .223 55gr x 500

I shot the Wolf fine and had no problems.  Next I shot the Tula and the system short stroked a few times. I'm not sure if thats the right terminology but, it would shoot 5 in a row, then the bolt wouldn't go back and basically I had to re-cock it and this happened consistently wth the Tula ammo. What can i expect for paying a little more than 25cents a shot with shipping. Next I used the PMC bronze, this worked flawlessly and the rifle seemed to fire better also! So I'm thinking that the Tula ammo wasn't properly weighed out/bad batch because it would go 5-7shots then stop working, but then other times it would go 1 shot re-cock for about 10 in a row...that was frustrating to say the least.

I didn't shoot all that ammo today. I saved alot of it and I brought along my younger and older brother to shoot with me!

-Ryan
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I installed the system last Wednesday. it went in fine after following the directions and I had to run to the store to get another tool.

I have a bushmaster m4a3 16inch barrel with eotech  512 HWS

I went to the range today. I brought the following ammo:
- Tula practice .223 55gr x 300
- Wolf .223 55gr x 200
- PMC bronze .223 55gr x 500

I shot the Wolf fine and had no problems.  Next I shot the Tula and the system short stroked a few times. I'm not sure if thats the right terminology but, it would shoot 5 in a row, then the bolt wouldn't go back and basically I had to re-cock it and this happened consistently wth the Tula ammo. What can i expect for paying a little more than 25cents a shot with shipping. Next I used the PMC bronze, this worked flawlessly and the rifle seemed to fire better also! So I'm thinking that the Tula ammo wasn't properly weighed out/bad batch because it would go 5-7shots then stop working, but then other times it would go 1 shot re-cock for about 10 in a row...that was frustrating to say the least.

I didn't shoot all that ammo today. I saved alot of it and I brought along my younger and older brother to shoot with me!

-Ryan

I'd forgo the Tula, personally, but how did it run prior to the installation of the Osprey OPS-416 when using the Tula  ammunition, or was it the first time you've used it? Sounds like an ammo related problem as you say the Wolf and PMC worked fine. With that said, I don't shoot Russian ammo unless it's through an AK, but I know others who do run it through their AR's, and some have had problems, and others haven't.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
It shouldnt matter as the system is metered..what kind of buffer and recoil spring are you using...standard components?
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya I will forget that Tula ammo, its a shame because I have like 500 rounds left :( oh well. I'll shoot it or just sell it or something. rats!!

I will only be going with wolf and or PMC or other mid quality brands in the future!

- Ryan
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It shouldnt matter as the system is metered..what kind of buffer and recoil spring are you using...standard components?

I have the bushmaster as mentioned before, all of its stock except for the upper. everything is stock/mil spec

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

I emailed Joe at Osprey last night around 11pm and I got a response back first thing in the morning! Excellent customer service!!!

- Ryan
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top