Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2009 5:00:42 PM EDT
But i suck at searching for stuff so if i didn't put the right terms in feel free to link it and tell me this is a repost....

but anyway, why are people saying that for a short barreled upper (I was thinking about a 7.5" noveske) I should go for a piston upper over DI, yet nobody seems to be able to give me a clear reason as to why that is.

I'm not the mine is better type of person, so if there's a good reason hey I wanna konw.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:44:11 AM EDT
[#2]
How far is the gas port from the chamber on a 7.5" barrel? Maybe 4" or so? How about on a 16" barrel, 8" or so?
[conjecture]
It stands to reason that when the bullet is only ~4" from the chamber the gas pressure will be higher than when the bullet is ~8" from the chamber. Some quick, certainly flawed, math would suggest that the pressure would be twice as great. The extra pressure slams the bolt carrier group (BCG) back much harder than intended.
[/conjecture]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
hrm, Cause i am seriously considering a 10 or an 8 " gun here soon... But i keep hoping Colt will be the ones to sent it out...

LWRC is looking good though.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top