User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2019 8:18:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoldAR]
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By FoldAR:  5) Dimpled Barrel.  We are now machining dimples into the barrel where the gasblock setscrews mount the gasblock to the barrel.
The dimples are positioned in such a manner that forces the gasblock up against the journal shoulder and automatically aligns to with 1 degree TDC.
View Quote
 Thought you were supposed to have like 1/10" standoff btwn the gas block & the journal for the forward handguard cap.  So are your dimples going to be in the wrong place if we choose to use a different gas block, or are your gasblocks not going to align on another bbl when we go to reuse them?
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 7:55:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
 Thought you were supposed to have like 1/10" standoff btwn the gas block & the journal for the forward handguard cap.  So are your dimples going to be in the wrong place if we choose to use a different gas block, or are your gasblocks not going to align on another bbl when we go to reuse them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By FoldAR:  5) Dimpled Barrel.  We are now machining dimples into the barrel where the gasblock setscrews mount the gasblock to the barrel.
The dimples are positioned in such a manner that forces the gasblock up against the journal shoulder and automatically aligns to with 1 degree TDC.
IIRC the spacing depends on the gas block. Some low profile gas blocks will account for this, others need spacing. Also noticed a lot of low profile gas blocks have a pretty large opening.

FSB for sure seem to need proper space.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Send one to me for disposable .....I mean testing
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never seen a Faxon gas block break like that. What are you torquing the set screws to?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 7:09:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Can those of us with originals order the new gas block?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:27:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoldAR] [#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#10]
From the OP, you make it seem like the gas block that Faxon supplied was the issue and it was Faxon that is poor quality. Can you clarify this and if you still use Faxon to supply the new ones?
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ahrion:
From the OP, you make it seem like the gas block that Faxon supplied was the issue and it was Faxon that is poor quality. Can you clarify this and if you still use Faxon to supply the new ones?
View Quote
It was Faxon, now they make their own
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The military isn't picking 6.8 SPC.  They are looking at a 6.8 diameter bullet, but pushed much hotter with more case capacity.  Kinda like a .270 super short magnum.  This is supposed to provide good armor penetration when combined with their new bullet design.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 12:25:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoldAR] [#13]
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By enov8ive:

They would crack even with almost no torque on the set screws during the first few rounds fired. We determined it was improper material being used on one of the entire batches we received. The first 500 we bought didnt have this issue except they would still stretch if tightened down hard. Then when heated up it would relax the fragile design and self-loosen the setscrews, allowing the gasblock to move forward.

So we opted to make our own. If you want it done right...
View Quote
I’m not trying to be an instigator but just a thought that comes to mind.....

I sorta find it hard to believe a company known for quality and that has been around for a while can’t manage to produce a gas block. Have you spoken to them about this?  I’d love to hear their response. Is it, “our bad, we had some issues”, or is it.....the opposite?

@faxon
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AIWB:

I sorta find it hard to believe a company known for quality and that has been around for a while can’t manage to produce a gas block. Have you spoken to them about this?  I’d love to hear their response. Is it, “our bad, we had some issues”, or is it.....the opposite?

@faxon
View Quote
Why you asking them?
They went out of business via atf last week.
There’s a fantastic thread in gd about it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 12:50:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#17]
Wait, what?  Link?

ETA:  You talking about F&D Defense?  Totally different company.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AIWB:

@faxon
View Quote
We responded to this here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/Faxon-gas-block-failure-/700-293365/

Pat did a much better job typing it out than I could, but the short is that it was an issue on one batch that we have since corrected and our warranty covers any affected parts.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:49:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 45-Seventy] [#19]
Originally Posted By FoldAR:

There's no other SAAMI spec 6.8mm centerfire round as far as I know.
Dont count on this being selected...
They will end up defaulting to 6.8mm REM SPC. They just needed something comparable to "evaluate" in order to justify a sound decision (and the additional grant money).
View Quote
Are you really trying to convince people .mil is going to be adopting 6.8SPC?

Really?

Because there is absolutely zero evidence of this. If so... put it up.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#20]
When will <10in 300blk uppers be ready? Will they be available with adjustable gas blocks for suppressor support?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By richiemfmead:
When will <10in 300blk uppers be ready? Will they be available with adjustable gas blocks for suppressor support?
View Quote
FoldAR’s account is locked, you are not gonna get a response here.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:

View Quote
LOL. Saw that coming.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
LOL. Saw that coming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:

LOL. Saw that coming.
YUP.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#24]
60 day rule
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top