[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a really nice barrel.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 18" .223 Wylde is the only fluted barrel currently available, but there are most definitely more lengths and calibers soon to come!

-Tony @ BA
View Quote
When the 24" 6.5 Creedmoor is out you can count on a sale.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:42:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We are happy to announce the release of Ballistic Advantage fluted barrels. These barrels are crafted to the same precision we have become known for over the last 8 years. As with all Ballistic Advantage barrels, this new 18" fluted barrel is guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA. Click the photo to shop now, or CLICK HERE!

Length:                     18"
Material:                   416R Stainless Steel
Profile:                     Fluted SPR
Finish:                      Bead Blasted
Gas System Length:   Rifle
Gas Block Journal:     .750"
Twist Rate:               1:8
Muzzle:                    1/2x28 Threads
Weight:                    28oz

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh498/tonybamfg/Fluted%20barrels_zpso84zsuza.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh498/tonybamfg/Fluted%20barrels%202_zpsh8rewkog.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh498/tonybamfg/Fluted%20barrels%203_zpst8v61nf2.jpg
View Quote

Assuming it shoots as well as your other barrels this is a home run.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 18" .223 Wylde is the only fluted barrel currently available, but there are most definitely more lengths and calibers soon to come!

-Tony @ BA
TIMES TWO
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Does it come in 6.5grendel?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#8]
hmmmm that's cute but a bit much. I don't think that's that breathtaking to merit that price.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
hmmmm that's cute but a bit much. I don't think that's that breathtaking to merit that price.
View Quote
Doesn't seem pricey to me at all in comparison to other fluted match barrels ..... In fact at $250 it seems like a good price
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does it come in 6.5grendel?
View Quote
It's beautiful! Make mine in 6.5 grendel . When will we see it in grendel? Same price?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Before you get all hot and bothered about fluted barrels, understand it first.

The Real Benefits of Fluted Barrels
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've read the article several times during the past year and I still get hot and bothered BECAUSE of the science and logic therein... Form AND function melded together is a wonderful thing...
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Science and logic are great but let's be honest, at the end of the day, fluted barrels look cooler and that's what it's all about for most of us.  Glad to see BA stepping up their game, and I'm also hoping to see a 6.5g (with matching bolt?!) in the future.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
   So this write up says it is false that fluting adds stiffness, yet clearly points out that when 2 barrels of the same weight are compared, the fluted barrel is clearly MORE stiff. The whole point of fluting in regards to stiffness is that you can have a barrel that IS STIFFER than a non fluted barrel of the same weight, not of the same diameter. When you are lugging a barrel thru the woods you really don't care what the outside diameter of your barrel is, you care how much the rifle weighs. If you are trying to keep the weight down and you have a choice of two barrels that weight 2 pounds, wouldn't you want the stiffer barrel?
   Second point is regarding barrel cooling. And once again while starting with the statement that increased cooling is a misconception he ends up stating that in fact fluting does increase barrel cooling. Who cares what the reason is, however he is wrong to leave out the increased radiation as one of the reasons, since radiation is proportional to the surface area which he has already pointed out is increased by fluting, there is increased radiation cooling of the barrel.
I am not here to say fluting is the greatest thing since sliced bread, lets just get the facts straight. And they are.....ounce for ounce, a fluted barrel will be stiffer and cool faster, period. I hope no one ever believed that a thicker heavier barrel was not stiffer than a lighter barrel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Our reasons for making fluted barrels is very simple.

1. It's light. 28 oz is pretty damn light for an 18" barrel.
2. Our customers wanted it. I can't count how many people have asked us for fluted barrels. We are heavily influenced by our loyal customers and what they want.

However, let's settle some long-debated nonsense.

This is fluting in a nutshell:

A fluted barrel with any given weight will be more rigid than a government profile, non-fluted barrel of the same weight.
A fluted barrel with any given outside diameter will be LESS RIGID than a non-fluted barrel of the same outside diameter, but will be CONSIDERABLY LIGHTER.

Let's talk heat dissipation. It is absolute fact that an increased surface area will increase the rate at which energy (heat) radiates from a given object. It's why that beautiful ice sphere in my bourbon, waters down slower than cubes do. Less surface area, less heat transfer; More surface area, more heat transfer. A barrel of the same outside diameter will cool slower than a fluted one, for 2 reasons. Less mass to retain the heat, and larger surface area.

But here is the most important part, you will not notice the increase very much. Go ahead, mag dump 120 rounds though our fluted barrel, wait a few minutes, then touch it. Be sure to treat your burns properly afterwards.
Does it cool down faster? Sure. But does a couple of degrees per minute make a difference at 600+ F? Not really.

You might have noticed, we have in no way used increased heat dissipation as a feature to market our fluting.

-Tony @ BA
View Quote
These would make great CW barrels.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

2. Our customers wanted it. I can't count how many people have asked us for fluted barrels. We are heavily influenced by our loyal customers and what they want.

A fluted barrel with any given weight will be more rigid than a government profile, non-fluted barrel of the same weight.
A fluted barrel with any given outside diameter will be LESS RIGID than a non-fluted barrel of the same outside diameter, but will be CONSIDERABLY LIGHTER.

Let's talk heat dissipation. It is absolute fact that an increased surface area will increase the rate at which energy (heat) radiates from a given object. It's why that beautiful ice sphere in my bourbon, waters down slower than cubes do. Less surface area, less heat transfer; More surface area, more heat transfer. A barrel of the same outside diameter will cool slower than a fluted one, for 2 reasons. Less mass to retain the heat, and larger surface area.

But here is the most important part, you will not notice the increase very much. Go ahead, mag dump 120 rounds though our fluted barrel, wait a few minutes, then touch it. Be sure to treat your burns properly afterwards.
Does it cool down faster? Sure. But does a couple of degrees per minute make a difference at 600+ F? Not really.

You might have noticed, we have in no way used increased heat dissipation as a feature to market our fluting.

-Tony @ BA
View Quote
You go Tony !
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:04:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice barrels! Any 20" scheduled?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:35:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Might be time to upgrade my 6.5 Grendel barrel.  Well done BA, looks perfect for what I need.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll probably pick one up for my next build if they are ever available in black nitride!
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Whatever happened to the 12.5" Hanson 5.56 barrels?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Tagged for my hunting build later this year
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow Tony your post on the science of flutting freaking nailed it. Dead honest, no bull crap.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Any idea when the 18" fluted barrel will be back in stock?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#28]

-Tony @ BA
View Quote
FINALLY someone being honest about what they are selling.  I have done testing with fluted versus non-fluted barrels on rifles in my own collection and the above is EXACTLY what I have found to be true.  The cooling aspect happens, you cannot argue physics, but it is really not that valuable an asset in the real world.  While the amount of cooling is slightly faster with a fluted barrel, I also found that it heats up faster exactly for the same reason, less mass.  Shoot ten rounds over 30 seconds and measure the temp, fluted will be little hotter.  Bring both up to the same temp and let cool, the fluted will cool a little faster.  
I shot two identical profiled barrels, one fluted, one not, fluted heated a little faster than the non-fluted but cooled a little quicker once both barrels were up to the same temp.  Not enough to be of any practical use, but that's what I found in my testing of two rifles, same caliber, same load, same barrel lengths, same profile, same material (ss) one fluted, one not.

To me the ONLY field advantage is weight savings.  The looks are a perk but IMO not an advantage.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I have one on the way, can't wait to check it out!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#31]
You had me at bourbon.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Haven't finished breaking it in yet.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The barrel came in at 31oz and not 28oz.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I want an 18" 5.56 and a 13.5" 6.5 Grendel, both fluted of course.

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#34]
3 oz diff. Wonder if they weighed it at 28oz less the barrel extension?
Weird
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:25:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Weird
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Weird
That would account for the extra weight. I'm not too concerned about it as it's still a hell of a lot lighter than the LaRue it replaced.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#36]
BA,

Any chance of getting these in a black finish? I am putting a SPR project together, and your rifle gas, and lighter weight have me sold, over a Larue barrel...just wish they were black..

-Tim
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
BA,

Any chance of getting these in a black finish? I am putting a SPR project together, and your rifle gas, and lighter weight have me sold, over a Larue barrel...just wish they were black..

-Tim
View Quote
+1, an SPR is my next build, but I'm not a fan of the untreaded stainless look, black nitride would be perfect!
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
While the amount of cooling is slightly faster with a fluted barrel, I also found that it heats up faster exactly for the same reason, less mass.
I shot two identical profiled barrels, one fluted, one not, fluted heated a little faster than the non-fluted but cooled a little quicker once both barrels were up to the same temp.
View Quote
What's the point in comparing the heating/cooling of two barrels with different mass?!?

A fluted barrel is stiffer AND cools faster than an unfluted barrel of equal mass.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:49:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Dear Ballistic Advantage,

Please might you consider QPQ/Nitriding your 416R Stainless barrels to improve their wear properties and extend the barrel's life?

Customers (like me) would be all over them if you did!

Best wishes
Steve
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Dear Ballistic Advantage,

Please might you consider QPQ/Nitriding your 416R Stainless barrels to improve their wear properties and extend the barrel's life?

Customers (like me) would be all over them if you did!

Best wishes
Steve
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Aww  hell, putting together an 18" build with a LaRue Stealth and I run across this. Don't know if I should finish it...or build it with this one? Decisions, decisions...
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Any accuracy reports?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Any accuracy reports?
View Quote
The only time I shoot paper is when first zeroing the rifle and when confirming my zero. I've only shot a few 5-shot groups but all were under an inch with my Hornady 75gr BTHP hand loads.

I was able to consistently hit a 2/3 silhouette steel taget at 600 yards with a Vortex Viper PST 1-4. I ran a couple 20 round mags through it hitting steel from 100-400 yards as fast as I could with no noticeable degradation in accuracy as the barrel heated up. Remember that I'm not shooting for groups or anything, I'm just trying to make first round hits on steel targets.

Best shots of the day were two back to back hits on a 2/3 silhouette at 800 yards off the back of an ATV. Probably could have done better if I was using more than a 4x scope
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:29:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Interesting discussion on fluting...  

So yes, given a fluted vs non-fluted of the SAME WEIGHT, the fluted will be stiffer because of the greater effective moment of inertia.  The fluted barrel will also be physically larger in diameter as a result.

For two barrels of the SAME DIAMETER, the non-fluted will be heavier and stiffer than the fluted barrel.

Heat dissipation is a function of surface area, so fluting will always have greater surface area in either case.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#45]
When 20"?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I want an 18" 5.56 and a 13.5" 6.5 Grendel, both fluted of course.

View Quote
A 13.5 Grendel would be magical. I would buy a at least 6.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
When 20"?
View Quote
This!

Planning a 20" rifle and was just about to order up a fluted 20" Faxon when I came across this thread. Would order a 20" BA with a pinned low pro right now! Black finish of course...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#48]
So here's an odd question:

Kreiger and a couple other barrel manufacturers don't make or recommend lightweight profile or deeply fluted 416r  barrels in cold climates, citing that if the steel as any sulfur stringing it might kaboom.  Granted, that isn't an issue for 99.995% of the site, but since I'm in Alaska I thought it was relevant to see what you guys think on that.

Mostly because that's exactly what I'd want in a barrel for my next build, but haven't been able to confirm/deny the above either.  Do you think that's a potential issue or ?  Worst case I'll look at a different barrel when I build a rifle, but was worth a shot to ask.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#49]
As of 8/22/17 you can order this barrel for a 25% discount

link to barrel is here:

http://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Ballistic-Advantage-18-223-Wylde-SPR-Fluted-SS-Rifle-Barrel-BABL223021PL.htm

link to discount code is here:

http://graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Barrels_c56.htm

The site also carries several other BA barrels and they are all on sale.  I have not done business with this vendor.  I just thought it was a good discount to post here.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
As of 8/22/17 you can order this barrel for a 25% discount

link to barrel is here:

http://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Ballistic-Advantage-18-223-Wylde-SPR-Fluted-SS-Rifle-Barrel-BABL223021PL.htm

link to discount code is here:

http://graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Barrels_c56.htm

The site also carries several other BA barrels and they are all on sale.  I have not done business with this vendor.  I just thought it was a good discount to post here.
View Quote
That's where I got my barrel from. They take a few days to ship but for the price I don't mind the wait.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top