Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 1/12/2007 2:50:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#1]
DAMN Denny! That is SWEET! I've been wanting to see one of these ares systems.... very cool. Thanks for posting it up my man!

-ZA206
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh yea.... can you get some measurements from the centerline of the barrel to the top of the piston assembly (highest point). That way the rest of us can check the room under our handguards to see about clearance.

I have a Stag 6.8SPC upper coming (carbine) with a JP Enterprises full float rifle length tube installed.... I "think" it might work under this tube with very little mods (maybe none).

Thanks for the awesome pictures BTW!-ZA
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
What type of steel do they use for the carrier/piston system?,also how is the long term durabilty on these?Also is it easy to clean say after 500 to 1000 rounds?
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info, ya look's like a good system for the ar-15 with ALOT LESS COST,i also like the fact that you can go back to a DI system with just a punch and a hammer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2007 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#7]
WILL THIS PISTON KIT WORK ON MODEL 1 16" 6.8 REM. SPC. UPPER?
Link Posted: 1/13/2007 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#8]
It seen it my self this weekend, its a real nice set up, the new rail system they had for it is made by Knights.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#9]
A really good quality item. I got the whole run down from them @ Shot and I'm interested in getting myself a kit
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
So has a price or shipping date been set yet?
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I was wondering if the Gas Piston would work with a LaRue Free Float rail ?
I have a Noveske 10.5" barrel and a LaRue 9" quadrail. the piston system seems small enough to fit  there ?
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/18/2007 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was wondering if the Gas Piston would work with a LaRue Free Float rail ?
I have a Noveske 10.5" barrel and a LaRue 9" quadrail. the piston system seems small enough to fit  there ?

I don't think it will without a little work...

But I'd sure like to know myself

+1    
Link Posted: 1/19/2007 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#14]
This looks pretty interesting.

Denny,

I am looking to build a 300 Whisper ( Barrel length greater than 10.5 but less than 16.5).
It is going to be suppressed.

Do you think this system would work with it?

If so, which type do you think I would need, the short or long barrel version?

Do you think I still need the gas port opened up and an adjustable gas block?

Any time frame on a railed forend release?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2007 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Been through about 1000rds with mine without a hickup.

No one has been able to tell me if the flash I am getting coming out the roll tube is normal though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2007 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Tag for further field data and for possible purchase for my AR. Looks very cool.
Link Posted: 1/22/2007 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone had to clean one yet? I just ask because after install mine looks difficult to remove without removing the spiggot.
Link Posted: 1/23/2007 2:40:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/23/2007 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Denny, do they have a rifle length version planned or in the works?
Link Posted: 1/23/2007 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I was wondering if ARES GSR piston kit would work in a dissipator upper receiver.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce_Wayne
Link Posted: 1/23/2007 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yes, they had it on display at the Shot Show.
Link Posted: 1/23/2007 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I was wondering if ARES GSR piston kit would work in a dissipator upper receiver.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce_Wayne

Yes it would. The dissipator uses a carbine length gas system.
Link Posted: 1/23/2007 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about pistol length?
Link Posted: 1/23/2007 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Denny, did you ever get the measurements?

Thanks.

-ZA

height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Oh yea.... can you get some measurements from the centerline of the barrel to the top of the piston assembly (highest point). That way the rest of us can check the room under our handguards to see about clearance.

I have a Stag 6.8SPC upper coming (carbine) with a JP Enterprises full float rifle length tube installed.... I "think" it might work under this tube with very little mods (maybe none).

Thanks for the awesome pictures BTW!home
D.
Link Posted: 1/24/2007 4:11:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about pistol length?

No pistol version.

I'm thinking about doing one myself but first need to see how it performs with my current setup.
I just had my Ares GSR-35 modified to work with AK mags yesterday for use with my MGI modular lower.
This will be for my 11.5" 7.62x39 setup in full auto.

If this works well, I want to modify a kit to work in my 7.5" 7.62x39 upper as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2007 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone know the skinny on the mid-length version ?

I heard they have them in stock (from GH @SHOT 07).

Also heard they under consideration for manufacture (guy standing next to GH @SHOT 07).
Link Posted: 1/25/2007 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Can Anyone tell me if ARES has there piston kits in stock? A friend of mine who talked to them at the shot show has been trying to call them, email them without any response. He is a big supplier (he has a advertising block above) and wonted a number of the kits. Can someone shed any light, I think he has given up on them and I was waiting on one!
Link Posted: 1/26/2007 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I just spoke to someone at Ares and Denny should have them in stock.

From Denny's website:
THERE ARE TWO MODELS. ONE FOR 10 TO 11 INCH UPPERS AND ONE FOR 14.5 INCH TO 16 INCH UPPERS. THESE ARE FOR CARBINE LENGHT GAS SYSTEM UPPERS AT THIS TIME.

I am waiting for the rifle leanth kit to be available.
Link Posted: 1/27/2007 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/27/2007 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks like the rail is being built by KAC. Very cool. Here's a pic from Ares website

Link Posted: 1/28/2007 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Are they going to make a mid-lenght rail?
Link Posted: 1/28/2007 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just spoke to someone at Ares and Denny should have them in stock.

From Denny's website:
THERE ARE TWO MODELS. ONE FOR 10 TO 11 INCH UPPERS AND ONE FOR 14.5 INCH TO 16 INCH UPPERS. THESE ARE FOR CARBINE LENGHT GAS SYSTEM UPPERS AT THIS TIME.

I am waiting for the rifle leanth kit to be available.

I have 20 more kits coming in early next week.  I have 3 of the last 20 that came last Monday left.  2 for shorties and 1 for 14.5 to 16" barrels.

These are selling damn near as fast as we get them in.

Denny

Any word on whether or not this kit will fit in a Larue handguard??

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/29/2007 7:02:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Are they going to make a mid-lenght rail?

I want the mid-length also...............any word?
Link Posted: 1/29/2007 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#34]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=305981&page=1

Mr. Larue said he didn't believe his one piece handguards were compatible with the piston kits. I'd speculate that there is no way to slip the barrel nut flange section over the barrel/op-rod.

Seems these piston kits work best with two piece handguards that have a removable upper section like the Samson/Troy, KAC, Surefire,YHM, MI offerings.
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#35]
What is the distance from the center line of the bore to the top of the piston?  And also how wide is the pistion?
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 2:22:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
What is the distance from the center line of the bore to the top of the piston?  And also how wide is the pistion?

IIRC the width of the piston is like 0.47"

My Surefire rail is at Denny's now getting milled like he did on his own.
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Which model is compatible w/a 12.5" barrel?
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Which model is compatible w/a 12.5" barrel?

I recall Denny recommending the 10.5-11.5" model.
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#39]
with the deflection present in the FIRSH I had I'd sy this is a "no go" if rubbing will cause problems......
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#40]
They are charging $400 for this?!?  I mean, it is a great idea, and all, but come on, there is what, maybe $50 worth of machining?  $100?
Link Posted: 2/3/2007 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#41]
the ARES kit price is within the ballpark:
a precision AR bolt carrier is $150+
("apples to orange" comparison) an M14 gas cylinder/piston is $175+
M14 match-grade op rod/springguide $45
with the rest of the difference towards development costs.
It makes me wonder why the other piston upgrade manufacturers are charging so much?

If KAC is making the ARES URX, maybe KAC will eventually sell piston SR-15's or ... egads! ... a piston SR-25?
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#42]
O.K....I don't want to rain on everyone's parade but..... I had one...Put it on my DPMS AP4. First 30 rounds worked great. I got all excitedhe Then..it got worse...would'nt even eject bythe 3rd magazine. I used 62 Grain SS109 and Prvi 55 grain"M885"   Also shot a bunch of Lake City M885. So...I spent over $400.00 for it...maybe I assembled it wrong? home, Could it be me? Nope...not likely...all my magazine are the Uber reliable HK416's, 2nd version. My buffer spring is stock with my AP4 and my blackrifle only has 500-600 rounds through it. I had other range patrons fire it as I watched.....I know the recoil is fast and it looked like it was running...until you heard the "click" and no bang on the 2nd trigger pull. Nope...the unit I had was none mission effective....so off to anti-gun E-bay it went! Did I contact Ares..well no.....for $400.00 and change it should of run, on time , all the time. Sorry Ares......maybe HK can do it better.  Put my "dirty" gas tube back in and shot 650 rounds the following weekend( i did'nt clean it before I went back to "the  tube"). Not one malfunction, mis'feed, failure to feed, stove pipe or Ka-boom! Do I think the Ares kit sux....no...I'm sure someone has got it to work it there gun....but as for me....I should of saved my coins and put it towards a new Sig 556.
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#43]
thanks for info, I was realy thinking about ordering one. Whats the deal? Have you contacted G.T.S ? Please keep us updated. Rob in STL  knights sr15 m-4
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
O.K....I don't want to rain on everyone's parade but..... I had one...Put it on my DPMS AP4. First 30 rounds worked great. I got all excited....until...the next magazine.  Gun short stroked, ejected brass but did'nt strip off a fresh cartridge from the magazine. Then..it got worse...would'nt even eject bythe 3rd magazine. I used 62 Grain SS109 and Prvi 55 grain"M885"   Also shot a bunch of Lake City M885. So...I spent over $400.00 for it...maybe I assembled it wrong? Took it home, cleaned the bejesus out of it. Lubed it up, function check, pagan war dance. prayer to what-ever diety I could think of and back off to the range next Saturday. My hopes were dashed on the first magazine! Could it be me? Nope...not likely...all my magazine are the Uber reliable HK416's, 2nd version. My buffer spring is stock with my AP4 and my blackrifle only has 500-600 rounds through it. I had other range patrons fire it as I watched.....I know the recoil is fast and it looked like it was running...until you heard the "click" and no bang on the 2nd trigger pull. Nope...the unit I had was none mission effective....so off to anti-gun E-bay it went! Did I contact Ares..well no.....for $400.00 and change it should of run, on time , all the time. Sorry Ares......maybe HK can do it better.  Put my "dirty" gas tube back in and shot 650 rounds the following weekend( i did'nt clean it before I went back to "the  tube"). Not one malfunction, mis'feed, failure to feed, stove pipe or Ka-boom! Do I think the Ares kit sux....no...I'm sure someone has got it to work it there gun....but as for me....I should of saved my coins and put it towards a new Sig 556.

You said the buffer spring was stock, what about the buffer?
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like you got the kit with the small gas port hole.....  

Maybe the kit doesn't specify what barrel length the kit should be used with ?

Maybe the kit was put in the wrong packaging ?

Maybe the kit was not installed properly ?
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
O.K....I don't want to rain on everyone's parade but..... I had one...Put it on my DPMS AP4. First 30 rounds worked great. I got all excited....until...the next magazine.  Gun short stroked, ejected brass but did'nt strip off a fresh cartridge from the magazine. Then..it got worse...would'nt even eject bythe 3rd magazine. I used 62 Grain SS109 and Prvi 55 grain"M885"   Also shot a bunch of Lake City M885. So...I spent over $400.00 for it...maybe I assembled it wrong? Took it home, cleaned the bejesus out of it. Lubed it up, function check, pagan war dance. prayer to what-ever diety I could think of and back off to the range next Saturday. My hopes were dashed on the first magazine! Could it be me? Nope...not likely...all my magazine are the Uber reliable HK416's, 2nd version. My buffer spring is stock with my AP4 and my blackrifle only has 500-600 rounds through it. I had other range patrons fire it as I watched.....I know the recoil is fast and it looked like it was running...until you heard the "click" and no bang on the 2nd trigger pull. Nope...the unit I had was none mission effective....so off to anti-gun E-bay it went! Did I contact Ares..well no.....for $400.00 and change it should of run, on time , all the time. Sorry Ares......maybe HK can do it better.  Put my "dirty" gas tube back in and shot 650 rounds the following weekend( i did'nt clean it before I went back to "the  tube"). Not one malfunction, mis'feed, failure to feed, stove pipe or Ka-boom! Do I think the Ares kit sux....no...I'm sure someone has got it to work it there gun....but as for me....I should of saved my coins and put it towards a new Sig 556.

Yeah, I bought it from you.
Its a kit for a short barrel. Works just fine on my 11.5 with the pinned-welded long FH.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I bought it from you.
Its a kit for a short barrel. Works just fine on my 11.5 with the pinned-welded long FH.

Thanks!

So JB Weld got the wrong kit for his AP4 then?  
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 6:17:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Instead of posting something negative about a product try to figure out the problem first. If you had purchased the proper kit I can assure that you would have liked it. I have one in my 10.5 LMT upper...1000 rounds of AE 55 grain down range w/o a single malfunction. IMO, the only down side to this kit is that AREAS has no control over what brand upper/ barrel the kit is installed on.
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Does anyone know if they actually had to modify the URX, or if they just rotated it 180 degrees? I only ask, because that's the lower HG from a URX at the 12:00 position.

Just curious...
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#50]
What type or rutine maintenance is there of this system?  Disassembly and wipe down after every shooting session (as ususal), only after 10,000 rounds, never need cleaning, or what?  Will the gases that come off the piston burn your hand if you are using an open holed hand guard?  Who has one in stock?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top