Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2022 10:06:59 PM EDT
For all intents and purposes, it’s done, save for having the lower receiver anodized. It’s built from one of the nicer Colt parts kits that were available some years ago. I had the lower receiver engraved with late export Colt 613 markings (my favorite, and very likely how the original rifle was marked), then re-profiled to M16A1 specs before milling it out. It has a newer 6920 semi-auto FCG and original Colt M16A1 lower parts, save for the little springs and detents. The barrel is a 1/7 C MP B (controversy over whether those are Colt or not), and an original Colt M16A1 BCG. I had a few options with handguards that I have on hand (an NOS Colt set, an NOS USGI set still in plastic, and a couple of Taiwanese sets), and I chose to use a newer Taiwanese set with an original Type E stock. The handguards feel and look great. When I find a suitable anodizer, I’ll have the lower receiver matched to the upper. I’m very, very pleased with it up to this point. I’ll try to have it out this weekend to shoot.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice, that Colt logo stamping is definitely appropriate for that serial number range.
That will look great when you get the anodizing done. (Well ok, it looks great now)
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice!you should ground off the keyhole forging mark.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]
That looks really nice, can't wait for your lower to be finished
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#5]
WOW! That is a nice looking A1 - Can't wait to see the lower annodized...
Any pointers on where to find some "non-tick" safety selectors?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you, guys! It’s a nice companion for my Colt A2.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice!you should ground off the keyhole forging mark.
View Quote

Thank you! I actually requested that the re-profiler keep that there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

What was the reason you decided to use repop handgaurds after going the extra mile on the lower, they just fit better?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/WXZEAZk-635.gif

What was the reason you decided to use repop handgaurds after going the extra mile on the lower, they just fit better?
View Quote

They look identical to the NOS Colt and USGI sets I have on hand, and I love the feel of the material. They gave me the look I was after, they feel wonderful, and I can keep the other sets put away. I wish I would’ve bought more of them.

ETA: And they fit flawlessly, too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
WOW! That is a nice looking A1 - Can't wait to see the lower annodized...
Any pointers on where to find some "non-tick" safety selectors?
View Quote

No-tic A1 repros (semi) are currently in-stock at AR15Sport; OOS/backorder at Brownell's.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They look identical to the NOS Colt and USGI sets I have on hand, and I love the feel of the material. They gave me the look I was after, they feel wonderful, and I can keep the other sets put away. I wish I would’ve bought more of them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/WXZEAZk-635.gif

Makes sense to me...
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the heads-up!
I just ordered some - I just check their site earlier this week and they were OOS.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No-tic A1 repros (semi) are currently in-stock at AR15Sport; OOS/backorder at Brownell's.
View Quote

Rookie mistake on the previous post - sorry.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve been able to collect accessories for it over the years. I have a few options on carry handles scopes, but this one is most fitting for this rifle. I found it for $105 six years ago in brand new shape. The bayonet is one of the NOS Colts that APEX had some years ago for $89, and I bought the wrench for $20 some years ago as well. The NOS nylon sling is included in this also.

ETA: The parts kit came with an unopened original cleaning kit. That’s tucked away in the buttstock.

Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Did you mean 1/12 twist C MP B barrel? 1/12 is the A1 twist rate. 1/7 didn't come about until the A2 for the purposes of shooting NATO Spec SS109 / M855. Additionally, there is no controversy as to whether or not C MP B barrels are Colt. The C stands for Colt in that nomenclature.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did you mean 1/12 twist C MP B barrel? 1/12 is the A1 twist rate. 1/7 didn't come about until the A2 for the purposes of shooting NATO Spec SS109 / M855. Additionally, there is no controversy as to whether or not C MP B barrels are Colt. The C stands for Colt in that nomenclature.
View Quote

No, he's talking about 1/7 C MP B pencil barrels that were available a while ago from MacKay Enterprises and Numrich Gun Parts. Weaponsman posted an article about M16 spare barrels a few years before he died and mentioned them, including a photo credited to MacKay.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160427051913/http://weaponsman.com/?p=17611

Later, a new run of barrels were made that were M16A1 profile, chrome bore, and 1:7 to allow free use of M855 as well as M193 ammunition. (The heavier M855 bullet is not stabilized by the slower original twist). We have observed these barrels from FNMI and Colt manufacture.

I picked up one from Numrich in 2016 when they advertised them simply as "Barrel, .556/.223, 20", Lwt "Pencil" Contour, Phosphate Finish, Colt Mfg". There was a discussion here at the time and a few of us bought one, not knowing what we would actually get. They turned out to be new barrels, without front site bases, and measured out to 1/7. I don't have any pictures of the whole barrel but I took these at the time.

Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Interesting. I have not heard of these.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, he's talking about 1/7 C MP B pencil barrels that were available a while ago from MacKay Enterprises and Numrich Gun Parts. Weaponsman posted an article about M16 spare barrels a few years before he died and mentioned them, including a photo credited to MacKay.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160427051913/http://weaponsman.com/?p=17611

Later, a new run of barrels were made that were M16A1 profile, chrome bore, and 1:7 to allow free use of M855 as well as M193 ammunition. (The heavier M855 bullet is not stabilized by the slower original twist). We have observed these barrels from FNMI and Colt manufacture.

I picked up one from Numrich in 2016 when they advertised them simply as "Barrel, .556/.223, 20", Lwt "Pencil" Contour, Phosphate Finish, Colt Mfg". There was a discussion here at the time and a few of us bought one, not knowing what we would actually get. They turned out to be new barrels, without front site bases, and measured out to 1/7. I don't have any pictures of the whole barrel but I took these at the time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/622/cmpb-436352.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/622/cmpb2-436354.jpg
View Quote

Correct.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/20andamp_quot__Colt_A1_profile_barrel_with_1_7_twist_/123-481574/
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top