Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/27/2022 1:00:16 PM EDT
Trying to locate any 601 slab side 80% lowers to do some correctly marked retro AR's.  Used to get them from NoDak but no more.  Any leads?
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Trying to locate any 601 slab side 80% lowers to do some correctly marked retro AR's.  Used to get them from NoDak but no more.  Any leads?
View Quote

These have become as

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Brownells has them as completed lowers, but the damn markings they put on them become a problem for me.  Clearly the lowers are still made, wish there was the ability to buy them before completion as bare 80% units.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#3]
OP...can you work a Dremel?
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Nodak was the only game in town.  You should know that by now.  Check the EE.  You might get lucky and find one there.  Otherwise, you're SOL.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Last 80% 601 that I saw was well over a year back on Gunborker, priced at $500, and sold, even then.

mike_nds has posted recently (Sunday, I believe) that 601 forgings are in-house at H&R, but they're not getting machined for a while yet. (Also, H&R will not be doing 80%.)

Quoted:
Brownells has them as completed lowers, but the damn markings they put on them become a problem for me.  Clearly the lowers are still made, wish there was the ability to buy them before completion as bare 80% units.
View Quote

Brownell's 601s are showing as "not available for backorder", which is to be expected as Nodak was supplying them with the raw forgings.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea why?

I've put regular 80% lowers on my mill and taken off the entire fence, but still not even close to the same.  The profile around the mag release is different and the profile at the back end by the take down pin and extension area is different.  On the slab side of the magwell, the raised + found on the 601 lowers is incredibly difficult if not impossible to replicate.

What are you thinking?  I am open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you know who is providing the 601 forgings to H&R?
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you know who is providing the 601 forgings to H&R?
View Quote
They own the tooling.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#9]
dammit.  I don't understand why not make 80% available.  Wanna bang my head on the floorrrrrrrrrr
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, before Nodak made 80% lowers with the 601 profile, these were made from the standard AnchorHarvey 80% lowers:

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

There was someone on this forum that could do the machining for everything.
Then, the "+" was added with a laser welder after the re-profiling.

I know he doesn't do the engraving anymore.

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yea why?

I've put regular 80% lowers on my mill and taken off the entire fence, but still not even close to the same.  The profile around the mag release is different and the profile at the back end by the take down pin and extension area is different.  On the slab side of the magwell, the raised + found on the 601 lowers is incredibly difficult if not impossible to replicate.

What are you thinking?  I am open to suggestions.
View Quote

It is possible to convert a full fence into a decent looking slab side.  It takes a professional thou, someone who knows how to manipulate a Bridgeport with a very steady hand.  2 persons come to mind.  John Thomas and John Brace.  Not sure if either  is still doing them.  Replicating the + would be asking to much.  Not a big deal in my book.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Braceman can reprofile an A2 80% to 601 specs and can even do the raised plus on the magwell
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Contact information for "braceman"?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Braceman can and can even do the raised plus on the magwell
View Quote

That I would have to see to believe.  Sounds like magic to me.   Not saying it can't be done.  I would love to see it demonstrated.  Putting it next to an original, I wonder if a person could tell which is the original cross.  It would have to be perfect.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Check your pm’s.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That I would have to see to believe.  Sounds like magic to me.   Not saying it can't be done.  I would love to see it demonstrated.  Putting it next to an original, I wonder if a person could tell which is the original cross.  It would have to be perfect.
View Quote

I’ve talked to him about it before he said he could do it and he sent me photos. It requires welding so you can’t anodize it.  I’ll see if I can find the photo he sent me.  He also some years back did it on a partial fence lower for a member here I don’t remember who it was though

ETA..

Braceman reprofile the only thing missing is the buffer roll pin hole

Real Colt 601
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Contact information for "braceman"?
View Quote

PM’d you
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm amazed.  Thanks for for those pics Liberty.  I'll shut up now.  I remember back in the day when stick welding was all that there was.  We've come a long way.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm amazed.  Thanks for for those pics Liberty.  I'll shut up now.  I remember back in the day when stick welding was all that there was.  We've come a long way.
View Quote

Yeah man the dude is a wizard when it comes to this stuff
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Thank you.  I sent him an email to see if he is still doing it and the cost.  I have 4 more clones I need to complete so hopefully he can help me out.
I've successfully removed the fence on a regular lower, but doing the rear profile by the extension and the reprofile around the mag release hole is not something
I have been able to do without butchering the lowers.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Happy to report, spoke with John Brace, he is still doing these, I'll be sending him a few lowers to do.  Once I get them back, I'll put up a few photos to show the before and after, alongside a NoDak one for comparison.  Thank you for the lead to contact John guys.  Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Happy to report, spoke with John Brace, he is still doing these, I'll be sending him a few lowers to do.  Once I get them back, I'll put up a few photos to show the before and after, alongside a NoDak one for comparison.  Thank you for the lead to contact John guys.  Appreciate it.
View Quote

I look forward to seeing the pics!
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I look forward to seeing the pics!
View Quote

+ 1 for sure.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
dammit.  I don't understand why not make 80% available.  Wanna bang my head on the floorrrrrrrrrr
View Quote

The loss of 80% lowers for the 601, XM ad A1 really hurt the retro game. The guys pushing the envelope in high quality retro are what really help to drive the demand.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for making this thread. My 80% is on the way to braceman now. I will have a super accurate 601 clone now I just need to figure out the whole electro-etching to get my Colt/Armalite markings on there...
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thanks for making this thread. My 80% is on the way to braceman now. I will have a super accurate 601 clone now I just need to figure out the whole electro-etching to get my Colt/Armalite markings on there...
View Quote

Electro etching is super easy to do
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Electro etching is super easy to do
View Quote

Yeah I watched a couple videos and was blown away at how there's nothing to it. I have a stencil for my 601 markings already.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:20:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah I watched a couple videos and was blown away at how there's nothing to it. I have a stencil for my 601 markings already.
View Quote

Yeah same, I got my 601 stencil too.  I’m hoping to get a nice size quarterly bonus from work so I can send JB 2 more XM16E1 magwells for welding and an A2 80% to reprofile to a 601.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#29]
The hardest thing about electroetching is knowing when to stop. Prep work and careful stencil placement are also important. Change the etching fluid frequently and check your progress. Use the hot glue dam to do entire areas for better consistency.

Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Great post!  Please PM me their contact info.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#31]
good luck.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top