Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/10/2022 11:21:58 AM EDT
I was wondering if anyone purchased a set? And are they any good?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Yo.

Quick look: they're A1s, plastic is noticeably lighter in weight than original USGI, noticeable sink on the exterior where the ribs are. (Possibly some at the rivet bosses, haven't checked yet.) Visually unpretty minor blems (shine at the vent holes/teeth, a couple small spots that could be silvering due to moisture in the material used). Sanding and painting recommended. Actually made in Taiwan, apparently.

My opinion: worth $25 on sale, more only if you really want new repro and don't like the other offerings.

Someone else's comparison between Luth, Line-Out (Taiwanese) and USGI on Reddit here.

- image from that post; Luth on the left, USGI on the right. his is actually a little uglier than mine.

I bought mine for LaFrance chopping, so cheap and unpretty is a combo I can live with.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Never heard of these Taiwan A1 reproduction handguards. How long have they been out and where are you getting them?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
They popped up recently on the Reddit Gundeals section. Linemount Triangles

Looks like they're still available @ $25 plus shipping tax (if applicable).
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm impressed by the looks of these things in pictures... I'll have to order a set to see for myself though. They look almost as good as the Colt reproduction A1 handguards.

So why couldn't Brownells or Tony's pull off the same thing (correct look with rivets and all)? Apparently this Taiwanese company could.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I may have to throw $25 at a pair.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I was told they are replacements for the Taiwan military. Just bought a set to try
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Saw these too.  IMHO Picture reminds me of the material of an A-2.

https://linemount.com/product/m16a1-retro-pistol-grip-fits-ar15/

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#8]

That grip from the site look exactly like Borewells retro grip. That make me believe maybe Brownells sourced both handguards/grip from the same supplier?
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/pistol-grips/ar-15-retro-pistol-grip-prod109338.aspx
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That grip from the site look exactly like Borewells retro grip. That make me believe maybe Brownells sourced both handguards/grip from the same supplier?
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/pistol-grips/ar-15-retro-pistol-grip-prod109338.aspx
https://cdn-fsly.yottaa.net/53ff2f503c881650e20004c9/www.brownells.com/v~4b.11e/userdocs/products/p_078000347_5..jpg?yocs=p_E_
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The grips look very similar, but the Brownells handguards have the heat shields held on with screws and these Taiwanese handguards have the heat shields held on properly with rivets like the originals.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#10]
When I saw your post I got all excited and thought they were T-65 hand guards......
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When I saw your post I got all excited and thought they were T-65 hand guards......
View Quote

I wish we had a source of spare T-65 parts.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Any updates from the guys that bought these? I finally just got around to ordering a set to compare to the Brownells A1s.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a set looks identical to the USGI one I have. Turn it over can’t tell any difference
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I bought a set looks identical to the USGI one I have. Turn it over can’t tell any difference
View Quote

Do they feel similar to the old GI handguards? The polymer looks like the modern Zytel that the Brownells ones are made of, which would be awesome... Modern polymer plus riveted in heat shields is what always should have been done by Brownells in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a USGI new in the wrap. It feels the same to me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#16]
OP thanks for the Bird dog on these, ordered one for grins :)
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Apparently they ship from Seattle, with that in mind I'm hopping it takes less than a week for shipping.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I received my handguards today from Linemount!

I'm not as thrilled about them as I was hoping I would be, but they are better than the Tony's Customs handguards. Compared to the Brownells handguards, they only surpass them in the fact that they use rivets to retain the heat shields rather than screws.

They appear very similar to the Brownells handguards externally and seem to be similar in weight. However, the polymer doesn't feel like the Zytel used in the Brownells handguards (noting here that neither the Brownells or these Taiwanese handguards feel anything like USGI A1 handguards). There are a few more surface marks and imperfections on these than on the Brownells handguards, but nothing terrible.

When laid flat (heat shield side down) these are a bit warped and wobble like an uneven table. The Brownells handguards only have a very slight wobble to them. The heat shields are much more perfected/well formed in the Brownells handguards and they're pretty much mirror image when viewed with both halves held together. The Taiwanese heat shields are similar to Tony's in that they don't match each other when the handguard halves are held together. Also, the Taiwanese handguards are a smidge over 1/16th longer than the Brownells handguards, but not as long as Tony's.

So, I'd still buy the Brownells A1 handguards over these, but only if Brownells cleans up the sloppy heat shield installation and lacking QC that I received in my last set that I had to send back.

And I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a couple more sets of these Taiwanese A1 handguards... I'll see what I think after a proper test fitting, but I love how easy the Brownells A1 handguards are to install and remove due to their slightly shorter length.

Some pics!

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I just test fit the Taiwanese handguards onto an upper and they were a bit harder to get past the slip ring probably due to their extra length, but I know that's fairly typical of A1 handguards in general mostly due to the difficulty of getting a good grip on the A1 slip ring itself. So don't let that dissuade you... Just know that the Brownells ones are a bit easier to install for whatever reason.

Once the Taiwanese handguards were installed they seemed to be good enough. The only thing I didn't really care for was that they had a slight gap at the bottom rear seem of the handguards due to the imperfectly formed heat shields touching and preventing the halves from fully coming together.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#20]
@556Cliff

Thanks for the pics and review.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@556Cliff

Thanks for the pics and review.
View Quote

No problem, glad to post it!
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I just got my set today as well.fast shipping.  For $25(+$4 shipping) I’m very happy with them. The feel is close, not exact, to USGI, but the look is great externally. If I was to mix these up, it would take a bit to seperate them from GI.
Picture with USGI new. I have not fit to a rifle yet, but I But, if fit is good I might order more.
Attachment Attached File

And again.
Attachment Attached File

Inside;
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Ordered a set yesterday and there in a pistol grip for the fun of it.

Thanks Retro!
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Got mine today

They feel flimsy off the rifle
On they feel fine, slight amount of flex, not brittle
Edges were sharp, had to sand the left side bottom
Not bad, probably will cut them down to make mid lengths one day?
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Got mine today

They feel flimsy off the rifle
On they feel fine, slight amount of flex, not brittle
Edges were sharp, had to sand the left side bottom
Not bad, probably will cut them down to make mid lengths one day?
View Quote

They do feel flimsy-ish in a similar way to the Brownells handguards, but I bet they'd hold up better than the USGI A1 handguards just due to the less brittle more modern polymer.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They do feel flimsy-ish in a similar way to the Brownells handguards, but I bet they'd hold up better than the USGI A1 handguards just due to the less brittle more modern polymer.
View Quote

I haven't had a hands on with the Brownells A1's so I don't know for sure. But yes, because they flex, they won't break like USGI. I put them on my 604 clone and they look right at home.
The mold & storage marks make it look period correct You only realize they aren't legit when you hold it and give them a squeeze. They do fit well in the rifle, no slop. I was a little worried
how they were shipped, (padded envelope) thinking they might have broken teeth, but they transported just fine. Again great set to experiment or camo and not worry like a primo USGI set.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I haven't had a hands on with the Brownells A1's so I don't know for sure. But yes, because they flex, they won't break like USGI. I put them on my 604 clone and they look right at home.
The mold & storage marks make it look period correct You only realize they aren't legit when you hold it and give them a squeeze. They do fit well in the rifle, no slop. I was a little worried
how they were shipped, (padded envelope) thinking they might have broken teeth, but they transported just fine.
Again great set to experiment or camo and not worry like a primo USGI set.
View Quote

I actually requested that they send my set in a box with a good amount of packing material and they actually did that for me, even though they only had to make the trip from one side of the state to the other. I've had some bad luck with plastic handguards being damaged in shipping so I always request a good packing job if I can.

My bad luck has been mostly with A2 handguards, which are actually pretty brittle as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I actually requested that they send my set in a box with a good amount of packing material and they actually did that for me, even though they only had to make the trip from one side of the state to the other. I've had some bad luck with plastic handguards being damaged in shipping so I always request a good packing job if I can.

My bad luck has been mostly with A2 handguards, which are actually pretty brittle as well.
View Quote

Eastsider, eh? Spokane represent!
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Terrible place that just keeps getting worse with the more liberal the state has become. I think the kids are calling it Spokompton now.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Got mine today.

Same review as others.  Looks and feels great.  Pistol grip too.  Amazingly fast shipping.

No sense in littering the thread with more pics.

I'm happy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I guess I didn't realize original USGI triangle handguards had dried up to the point guys are trying to score Repros?

I have a box of ten forward handguards and I guess I need to flush them out to retro builder buyers (right sides in plastic contractor bags NOS / left sides removed from demilled rifles, all the teeth intact of rights / lefts)
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Cheap repros, in new condition. Spend more, you can get really nice originals still. Spend a lot less, you can get original right sides new in the wrapper, but good luck finding lefts because they ran out of those quite some time back. Spend a medium amount, you can get originals (maybe matching, maybe not) in in anywhere from used-but-servicible to oh-god-how-bad-was-the-crash condition.

Medium-price repros are new, but most seem to have annoying differences in the heat shields, as best I understand. (Brownells uses screws rather than rivets, Luth-AR apparently uses tabs on the HGs themselves, or so I saw in a recent post in the Retro AR sub on Reddit.)

My $25 Linemounts have an appointment with a saw, followed by detailing with a drill press and Dremel, and a final checkup with a rattlecan to make LaFrance clones, but if I somehow lucked into NIW/very good used originals, I'd chop and probably be able to skip the spray paint use 'em as trade fodder to someone who has a greater need for 'em.

(Although I *would* fake up the pictures to look like I was mutilating the originals. )
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#34]
So, I'm poking aroun the Interwebs, using the part number for left-side triangle halves, and lo and behold I find a place claiming to have some! New and New Surplus! Lemme get a quote yeah...

One New - drumroll...

$489.98.

Asked for quotes from a few other places that listed 'em, we'll see if they're similar. Kinda suspicious the quote is either for one case/box, or since they deal with .gov/.mil and corporations that they're soaking the customer *hard*.

I do think if I posted a WTB on the EE for the same thing at $200, I'd get a bunch of replies...
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#35]

I think I'll stick with the repros for that price.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Pretty sure you could score a (non-retro) complete rifle for around that price.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a question why do you guys call these reproduction handguards. If these were being made for Taiwan military once you consider these basically military made parts just from a different country than ours. Hand guards from Brownells and other places I can see being called repose. But it's a Taiwan military has a contract for this company to build handguards I consider him real military issued parts. And yes I did receive a set of these handguards and I was happy with them $25 that expecting perfect they were nice outside but I did get one smash rivet. And again this is just a friendly comment don't need to be firebombed
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have a question why do you guys call these reproduction handguards. If these were being made for Taiwan military once you consider these basically military made parts just from a different country than ours. Hand guards from Brownells and other places I can see being called repose. But it's a Taiwan military has a contract for this company to build handguards I consider him real military issued parts. And yes I did receive a set of these handguards and I was happy with them $25 that expecting perfect they were nice outside but I did get one smash rivet. And again this is just a friendly comment don't need to be firebombed
View Quote

Mainly because they are listed as repros on the Linemount site. But also because of the modern polymer used in their construction and the fact that they are not an old 60s/70s production surplus US military set of A1 handguards.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#39]
FYI.

Got an email today, these are back in stock.  I quickly grabbed another set.

Have at it guys.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Beat me to it, but I wasn't checking r/gundeals this week.

Went and bought another pair meself... might have to build an actual rifle, someday.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top