Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2017 3:54:36 PM EDT
Howdy guys, I picked up a grab bag of AR muzzle devices over the weekend and was just going through them this morning, normal run of the mill A2's and such, but there is a Duck Bill in this mess as well,  I own a couple of early guns with Duck Bills on them, but doing some searching this morning have not been able to find a definitive answer on what all of the models the Duck Bill actually came on?

This one is in good shape, I don't believe it is an original as it has a concave on the bottom that would match with the current crush washer.

Just gathering more information to put in my notes, I seriously doubt I will build a reproduction early model, but figured it would be nice to know all the models it was used on.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Poke around on here. Lots of useful info. http://retroblackrifle.com/
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The short answer is that the duckbill was only present on very early 601s, later replaced by the improved 3-prong, which was also used on the 602.

Early transitional 604s (XM16E1) could have had either the improved 3-prong or standard A1.

Are you sure it's a duckbill and not an improved 3-prong?

ETA: That should read "early transitional 603s" above. Not sure if the AF 604s ever had 3-prongs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The short answer is that the duckbill was only present on very early 601s, later replaced by the improved 3-prong, which was also used on the 602.

Early transitional 604s (XM16E1) could have had either the improved 3-prong or standard A1.

View Quote
Circuits,

You are probably right, it looks like it is probably the improved 3 prong, in looking at the link the poster above you provided.  I looks like the improved one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ETA: That should read "early transitional 603s" above. Not sure if the AF 604s ever had 3-prongs.
View Quote
Actually, duckbills came on 601s till the end--or at least near the end of the production run.  I've seen unmolested rifles in the 12k+ serial number range with duckbills.
Without going through all of my old notes, I believe the mag button with horizontal grooves was the first "iconic" Model 01 component to expire, switching to the many circles button very early in the run.  Then the Type A stock gave way to the B decidely past mid-run.  Then the 1-14 barrels changed to 1-12 quite late in the run.  But as far as I know, the duckbill made it all the way to the end of the run.  (Disclosure: I have not found a truly late, as in 14k+, 601 in original condition.  But if any did come with the improved 3-prong, that change came very late.)
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#5]
TBR says the improved 3 prong was introduced on the 602. I've never seen anything to contradict that.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top