Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/13/2017 8:25:37 AM EDT
What is the story behind there being green/bakelight right side handguards and no left sides?  It is very weird and I would love to know.  I've been trying to find a left side and anyone only ever has rights.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The general ARFCOM Retro forum theory was that left side hand guards were replaced more often in service as the rifles were always laid down on the left side at the range and the left hand guard was more susceptible to damage. (The reason for this practice is so range safety officers could easily verify that the bolt was locked to the rear and the rifle was unloaded between stages and before people left the range.)

I'm more inclined to believe that there are crates of them stored in secret government warehouses.

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah. I have a green left one and it's missing a tooth and I still had to pay $350 for it. I couldn't find a right, so I said gawk it, I don't need another 601 replica so I sold the grip and Type A stock. Now I kinda wish I didn't.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a complete brown set, but need two left greens to complete my type A green BFPU and type B green. Missing a tooth would have fit in nice with my BFPU...
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I got lucky & started off with a left side. The right side took me a long time to find when I was looking.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Forward assist on is on the right side of the gun. Go to put it in a rifle rack and it often smacks the left handguard of the rifle next to it, especially with the projection of the triangle forends.

Yes, I have forsthamd experience with this.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
While I do not discredit what you're saying, the green handguards we're talking about were only found on the 601, which did not have a forward assist.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

While I do not discredit what you're saying, the green handguards we're talking about were only found on the 601, which did not have a forward assist.
View Quote
I've seen some 601s with forward assists in the left side (prototype f/a's)
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've seen some 601s with forward assists in the left side (prototype f/a's)
View Quote
Were they 601's or XM16E1's? My guess is the later.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:13:42 AM EDT
[#9]
The first forward assist tool room prototype was a 601 upper with a section on the left side cut out and a left handed forward assist welded in. I believe this was what he was joking about.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The first forward assist tool room prototype was a 601 upper with a section on the left side cut out and a left handed forward assist welded in. I believe this was what he was joking about.
View Quote
Yes.

Back on topic, I wish my 601 build had a set of original handguards but that's a bridge too far at this point
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes.

Back on topic, I wish my 601 build had a set of original handguards but that's a bridge too far at this point
View Quote
I always question if the current prices for original will hold up. If building a 100% original I guess you don't have much choice but to pay the price. Most of the ones that have been for sale lately are damaged. I have quite a bit invested in my brown set.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I always question if the current prices for original will hold up. If building a 100% original I guess you don't have much choice but to pay the price. Most of the ones that have been for sale lately are damaged. I have quite a bit invested in my brown set.
View Quote
I started acquiring parts for my 601 build only about 6 months ago and have definitely felt the pain with the prices. But I think that prices will continue to surprise us as time goes on and I have no intention of selling my rifles so that's how I justify it. They may fluctuate but I think the trend overall will continue to go up. .
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I started acquiring parts for my 601 build only about 6 months ago and have definitely felt the pain with the prices. But I think that prices will continue to surprise us as time goes on and I have no intention of selling my rifles so that's how I justify it. They may fluctuate but I think the trend overall will continue to go up. .
View Quote
I have sold a few sets over the years and they are continuing to go up! Buy them when you can, damaged or not, because you might not be able to find them later. It is getting harder and harder to find a set of greens.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The general ARFCOM Retro forum theory was that left side hand guards were replaced more often in service as the rifles were always laid down on the left side at the range and the left hand guard was more susceptible to damage. (The reason for this practice is so range safety officers could easily verify that the bolt was locked to the rear and the rifle was unloaded between stages and before people left the range.)

I'm more inclined to believe that there are crates of them stored in secret government warehouses.

http://codelikethis.com/lessons/learn_to_code/warehouse.jpg
View Quote
Exactly, in Warehouse 13.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I was browsing a government auction sight years ago and I saw a crate of left M16 hand guards for sale. Huge crate, maybe six by six. This was before retro was big thing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I was LUCKY enough to post something like this and a member responded to me So I could complete my BFPU 601. Now it wasnt cheap mind you but.... It turned out great as did my XM16 and 605. Very proud of these rebuilds and the amount of original parts in them all. They took several years of scouring the web to source parts.  Good luck with your quest for the grail, mine is over. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was LUCKY enough to post something like this and a member responded to me So I could complete my BFPU 601. Now it wasnt cheap mind you but.... It turned out great as did my XM16 and 605. Very proud of these rebuilds and the amount of original parts in them all. They took several years of scouring the web to source parts.  Good luck with your quest for the grail, mine is over. 
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20914650_344014166034796_7121704480366354052_n.jpg?oh=e87b5dbbaa3fd3fd3953aa3b44711b57&oe=5A2156B4
View Quote
That is the sexiest 601 ever... Color me Jealous

-Matt
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:42:18 PM EDT
[#18]
What if all the guns were stripped  the right handgaurds put in one box and left in the other and then sold like we have seen in the past?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That is the sexiest 601 ever... Color me Jealous

-Matt
View Quote
LOL You would know Matt.. LMAO
Hope your doing well pal, Thank you again for all you do in this community of gun geeks. 
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top