Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2017 3:59:55 PM EDT
Just got off the phone with Olympic Arms customer service and they have "C7" style stripped uppers for $88 that they use on their Plinker rifles.

I thought this sub could use some. They said they had less than 50 in stock.

I'm ordering one and I'll come back here with pictures when I get it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#1]
How is a C7 upper different from other uppers?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
It is basically an M16A1 upper with both a forward assist and a brass deflector.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's some images of C7 uppers here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1589224_CASV_EL_Rail_and_C7_upper.html
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Are they the same as the Windham's with the offset detent cut? I was hoping Windham would just scrap that first run and do it right the second time around.

$88 is great, unless it sucks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't find 'em ?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep reading that they're out of business, then keep hearing that they're not.  Whats up with that?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can't find 'em ?
View Quote
You have to call and ask.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 1:06:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are they the same as the Windham's with the offset detent cut? I was hoping Windham would just scrap that first run and do it right the second time around.

View Quote
I doubt it, these are the receivers they used for their Plinker Plus rifle series. They've been out for some time now and are generally well regarded.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#10]
You got a link for that?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You got a link for that?
View Quote
You have to call and ask, they're not online.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Is that with port door and A1 sight? When I first started to build a retro I wanted a plinker upper. I couldn't find one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Will these come with sights installed etc?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is that with port door and A1 sight? When I first started to build a retro I wanted a plinker upper. I couldn't find one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will these come with sights installed etc?
They are stripped. They have rear sight assemblies but they are $65.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They are stripped. They have rear sight assemblies but they are $65.
View Quote
What is the going rate right now on A1 sights? I think the last time I bought them they were around $30 bucks or so for a complete set.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What is the going rate right now on A1 sights? I think the last time I bought them they were around $30 bucks or so for a complete set.
View Quote
That's what I paid ( give or take )
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
$40 NOS from Amherst, $15 surplus from Indiana Army Surplus. Those two are the best priced, most reliable vendors I've found so far.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#18]
You have a contact number for Indiana Surplus?
I called Olympic today. They had 3 upper recievers left over from when they stopped building guns.
I ordered 2. So there is one left if anyone wants it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one of these c7 uppers dressed up as a mock M16A1, but I'm thinking of changing the upper out for a real A1 with no shell deflector. What is everyone building with these c7 uppers? I'm thinking Black Hawk Down carbine, but i'm sure there are other options.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Dimeco rifles. Pretty rare here in the states.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm building mine into a Service Rifle from New Vegas.

On this lower:
http://imgur.com/Hp7qexo
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just got the one that I ordered.

The detent cut looks way off just like the Windham uppers from a few months back.

If I had to say, Windham either sold all the defective uppers to Oly or the same manufacturer screwed up on the same batch for both companies.

ETA:
Just got off the phone with them and they said that they manufacture them in house from forgings so Oly just sucks. They guy was kind of a dick when I asked about the detent cut being off. His response was "but does it work?"
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Now I'm glad I didn't get my order today in. Thanks for the update. Maybe next time they make a batch they'll be able to cut them correctly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I just got the one that I ordered.

The detent cut looks way off just like the Windham uppers from a few months back.

If I had to say, Windham either sold all the defective uppers to Oly or the same manufacturer screwed up on the same batch for both companies.

ETA:
Just got off the phone with them and they said that they manufacture them in house from forgings so Oly just sucks. They guy was kind of a dick when I asked about the detent cut being off. His response was "but does it work?"
View Quote
Not sure if yours is different from the one I received but mine works fine. I'll upload some pictures to compare.

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#25]
The cut on my upper looks just like yours.
I'm not saying the port door doesn't work, its just loose and will probably wear out faster than if the cut was done correctly.

The door does not stay perfectly flush against the upper, you can probably see light through the gap.

It will work, Olympic Arms should have sold these as blemishes at least. Windham stopped selling theirs and offered refunds for a similar mishap.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
perhaps the slot can be relieved on the side and that would allow the detent to fit flush
View Quote
Mine fits and functions just like every other upper out there, no issue with not fitting flush and it gives the same amount of resistance as all of my other EPCs.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I took some pictures to show what I mean.

Olympic Arms C7

FN A2

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top