Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 5:29:29 PM EDT
Which color of Brownell's Alumahyde 2 more closely resembles Colt Gray? Parkerizing Gray, Dark Parkerizing Gray or Stainless Steel Gray?

I am thinking of recoating my A1 Dissipator and the XM-177 Style build I have once I get the upper for the A1 and the barrel for the XM-177.

I would like to be as close as possible to Colt Gray as possible or maybe just leave them the anodize black like the A1 upper supplied by NDS from Brownell's

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion the Dark Parkerizing gray.  I will make note that I purchased two cans of Dark Park Gray and one is a shade lighter than the other - likley different lots - so If you need to shoot more than a can's worth beware.

Here is a cheapo carbine project I did in Alumahyde 2 Dark Parkerizing Gray. Its got some oil gloss to it in this pic because I wiped it down after shooting.

" />
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Dark is a far closer match.  Light matches my SP1 closer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#3]
This was taken under florescent lighting but it's dark park grey, Looks quite close in daylight.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#4]
How does it hold up on the barrels?  Thats a lot of heat to contend with?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.. it will hold up but it can chip off ..

it holds up to moisture well..
I left my M16 in the jeep for a few days and it rained.
The gun was wrapped in jacket.
THe alumnahyde bubbled up.. but the bubbles went away after I set let it dry... weird stuff..

PRO TIP.. buy extra nozzles.. throw them away after each use. They never spray the same again..
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This was taken under florescent lighting but it's dark park grey, Looks quite close in daylight.

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rtqqwwwsfqqtrstxsqkggtksqtsdf,vi/wwwkgtrrdxbsgbrssfgxwdkttwrwt/5/3676325/13874625/43aXM177E2cloneSmall-vi.jpg
View Quote

That is the exact color I am looking for. Thanks!!

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

THe alumnahyde bubbled up.. but the bubbles went away after I set let it dry... weird stuff..
PRO TIP.. buy extra nozzles.. throw them away after each use. They never spray the same again..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought the bottled stuff and use it through my airbrush.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Brownell's has free shipping on everything just use L8H code at checkout. I was going to order a can of the Dark Parkerizing yesterday for $13 but the shipping was $15.95. They have several of the colors for half off too. I am glad I waited.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#9]
If you use Brownells Edge, shipping is at no cost, and no hazmat fee.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top