Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2016 7:00:39 AM EDT
My first attempt at a retro clone!
And some questions too, but I'll save those for last...

Had an old SP1 gathering dust while all my other AR's were getting the NFA treatment, and seeing as how it was always my favorite I decided to do something special with it.
Slowly gathered the parts over several months while waiting on my stamp, and completely lucked out after finding that Matt was making some great looking stocks.
The original plan was to use an RRA entry stock with spacer, which stuck out like a sore thumb, so off I went to find a repro.
I elected to use a bolt on, just couldn't bring myself to mill out my favorite SP1.
The lower tube is welded to the plate instead of bolted on like his previous models were, one less thing to worry about.
It's also anodized in lieu of Alumahyde, and the gray matches the SP1 almost as if they were both built in 1968 at the same factory.
To me, the stock really made the rifle...the pics pretty much speak for themselves.

RRA stock for comparison:

With Matt's 607 stock:

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Also, while building, I did learn a neat little trick...the duckbill FH can be installed or removed with a gator grip socket!
It doesn't leave any tool marks, easy to use, and it's cheap.

No tool marks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:02:02 AM EDT
[#2]
It's probably pointless to go into much detail about the parts used, since you guys can easily spot the repro stuff (but if you're curious just ask).
Probably easier to simply say that I used as many of the original SP1 parts as I could, bought original where possible, and filled in the gaps with repro stuff.

I'm still waiting on some aluminum follower 20rd mags, as well as a sling, and I'm in the middle of working out a deal with a friend make a moderator or two for it (NFA repro, with modern baffles).
That's what brings me to my questions...
As far as the moderator goes, most of the original 607's seem to have the shorter 3.5" version, but I've seen one or two with the longer 4.5" birdcage style as well.
Would it look terribly out of place to have the 4.5" version?
My initial thoughts were to recreate the external dimensions and looks as close as possible, but with cone baffles inside for hopefully better suppression.
Not expecting it to be hearing safe by any means (I have other silencers for that), maybe it'll only be a 10db reduction, who knows....but if I'm paying for the tax it might as well be all it can be, right?
Then I got to thinking, if I could just make the cuts on the 4.5" version blind for looks only, then I'd have an additional inch worth of volume to use and hardly any changes would be visible without giving it a close look.
I was told that any of these designs would be easy enough to make and probably no difference in price.
I'm still on the fence but leaning toward the 4.5" and blind cuts, while another friend is wanting an authentic reproduction.
If you had the option, which would you choose for a 607 build?
-Original 3.5" repro with cone baffles
-Original 4.5" repro with cone baffles
-4.5" repro with cone baffles, blind cuts and better suppression
Both the original 3.5 and 4.5 would have the same internals and suppression, since the extra inch on the 4.5 is taken up with the birdcage cuts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:02:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The other question pertains to the handguard.
Mine fits fairly tight, but it doesn't take much grip to make the two halves move up and down.
I can get the delta ring tight against the handguard to where this doesn't happen, but then the two halves and the holes don't line up the way they should.
Is there an easy fix for this or is it something that I just have to live with?
Shim and trim?  I dunno.  Any suggestions would be great...

Lastly, for anyone interested, I did all my NFA engraving on the inside flare of the magwell where it doesn't detract from the original look.
The engraving is still perfectly visible with a mag inserted and there's area enough to exceed minimum size requirements for most trust information.
If I ever do decide to sell it as a Title 1 rifle, removing the engraving and refinishing would be extremely easy to cover up.
Just a little something I thought I'd pass on!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go 3.5, for originality, but that's just me. There won't be enough suppression built into either one to amount to a hill of beans so might as well shoot for originality.
on your handguards.......I have, in the past, machined some authentic rear caps. I don't have any free time for the foreseeable future to make any, but I believe Heatnbeat was recently making some. I am not positive that his are/were made exactly as originals, but you can check with him. An original style will require the frt sight base be removed. It looks like your rear cap is one of the incorrect knock offs made by Primary Ind., which holds the rear of the handguards too high, plus, they hold everything loosely. Original style will have the hg,s held so tightly that they are a real pain to remove....which is a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm hopeful that the moderator can tame the 607 a little better with modern baffles, but working with such a small amount of volume...really it's anyone's guess.
5.56 is loud through a rimfire size can, but there's a substantial difference from unsuppressed, at least from several yards away.
About to the point where you could get away with a few shots here and there without earpro, like a long barrel 12ga.
The big question for me is whether that extra inch worth of volume will be enough to justify deviating from 100% original.
Hmmmm.....indecision, I know thee well

Good to know, I didn't realize the rear caps were any different from original, but it sure sounds like mine is incorrect.
They're pretty easy to install and remove by hand, so I guess that pretty much answers that.
I'll shoot Heatnbeat a PM and see if he's got anything I can use.
Thanks for the head's up!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Every time I see someone post up their 607 build, I'm reminded of two things.
Just how much I love those little guns and just how much I hate living in California!

Great tip on the Gator Grip socket!
I wonder if it would work on the later style 3 prong?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't see why it wouldn't, it works on ASR flash hiders too...the socket is pretty forgiving with irregular shapes.
Its only use was for battery wingnuts until I figured this out, so I'd imagine if you can stuff part or all of it in the socket it should work LOL
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Awesome pics OP!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks FreeBear, I wish I had an actual camera to do it justice and not this joke of a phone camera.
20rd mag and the sling came in today, went out and put a few mags through it.
Functions great, duckbill rings like a tuning fork, all is well
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank You so much.

I really like the way you made this work for you.

I started on mine a year ago ,but quit working on it because of the lower tube.

" The lower tube is welded to the plate instead of bolted on like his previous models were, one less thing to worry about. "

That is such a good idea, I wish I had thought of it.
Now I am going to dig it out and finish mine.

The socket is a good idea.

Thanks
Ron
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Looking good!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I elected to use a bolt on, just couldn't bring myself to mill out my favorite SP1.
The lower tube is welded to the plate instead of bolted on like his previous models were, one less thing to worry about.
View Quote

This is absolutely brilliant! That really opens the door to people like me who don't have the access to do a milled out pocket but still would love to do a 607 someday!

As for the moderator:
I'd go with the 3.5". The 4.5 would look a bit off to me and that extra inch won't do much for sound suppressor. To my knowledge, and I hope the more knowledgeable chime in, the moderator helped with cycling and brought the sound down to rifle-length levels.
I've also never see a 607 with a 4.5", only the 3.5" or a flash hider only.

Also, for a first retro, you not only picked a hard one, but you did a great job on it!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: Also, while building, I did learn a neat little trick...the duckbill FH can be installed or removed with a gator grip socket!  It doesn't leave any tool marks, easy to use, and it's cheap.
View Quote

BRILLIANT!

Its info like this that keeps me logging on to this forum for the past 15+ years.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Great looking build .
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#15]
WestTexasKing,

Great build.

Thanks for the tip on the socket.  I have a 601 build that I am finishing and did not want to buy the tool.

Bought a Gator Grip brand socket on eBay for $13.00 shipped.

Thanks again,
BC
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

WestTexasKing,

Great build.

Thanks for the tip on the socket.  I have a 601 build that I am finishing and did not want to buy the tool.

Bought a Gator Grip brand socket on eBay for $13.00 shipped.

Thanks again,

BC
View Quote

Ya this is awesome! I have had one of those gator sockets for years and never used it... I have a very strong feeling that will change

-Matt
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine is in two places until my paperwork comes in.  Been 9 weeks so far, so it should be any time, based on my last one which only took 58 days!

I went with the 3 1/2 Mod with Fwd asst, but changed over to the Duckbill 3 prong.  Just too damned sweet with that on there!

Can't wait to put her together and show her off!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mine is in two places until my paperwork comes in.  Been 9 weeks so far, so it should be any time, based on my last one which only took 58 days!

I went with the 3 1/2 Mod with Fwd asst, but changed over to the Duckbill 3 prong.  Just too damned sweet with that on there!

Can't wait to put her together and show her off!
View Quote

I wouldn't hold your breath, they're running much longer than 9 weeks now.  Probably be 5 months or more.........but hopefully you are right.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh CRAP!  Thats still 3 months away!
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:54:29 AM EDT
[#20]
This F1 took about 4 months to get back, was in a batch I submitted with a few others in December.
Side note, gator grips also appear to work on 3-lug adapters
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top