Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2016 6:06:52 PM EDT
So I just picked up a pretty nice C stock but the roll pin that holds the mount for the swivel is REALLY rusty. Obviously heat is out of the question so will a penetrating oil like Kroil or Liquid Wrench mess with the stock in any way. Thoughts please?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
support the base on something solid, scrap piece of wood with a hole drilled in it.  soak the pin in pb plaster or something overnight, then put the base on the scrap wood and hammer the roll pin out.  all the impact should be on the roll pin, swivel and base.  nothing should be touching the stock.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I cracked one all the way through trying to get a rusty one out.  Be sure you have a heavy hammer, a good punch, and do as above.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I cracked one all the way through trying to get a rusty one out.  Be sure you have a heavy hammer, a good punch, and do as above.

Good luck.
View Quote

I cracked one as well, so you might consider just leaving it alone
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

That would suck.  I guess with time on my side I'll just let the sucker soak for a few days to see what happens. It does look like shit but I don't want to risk cracking a C stock either.  Did it crack from the hole where the roll pin goes or in a different spot?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That would suck.  I guess with time on my side I'll just let the sucker soak for a few days to see what happens. It does look like shit but I don't want to risk cracking a C stock either.  Did it crack from the hole where the roll pin goes or in a different spot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

It cracked all the way through, right where the roll pin is.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Have someone that could drill it out for you?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have someone that could drill it out for you?
View Quote

It's a thought but everytime I tried drilling out a roll pin the bit catches on the open part of the roll pin and catches.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#8]
EVERYTHING needs to be clamped down TIGHT and precise.  Drill press is best.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Will do..........thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Milling machine is best, and so is an 1/8" endmill instead of a drill bit.   A half inch 5C collet in a collet holder to securely hold the stud, and then all of that is held in a vice.   slick as a whistle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#11]
PB Blaster. Stuff is amazing. Soak it a few times and give it time. I loosened a completely rusted front sight this way, among other things. It also melts cosmoline very well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#12]
For what it's worth, I read an article several years ago that detailed a military test on a rust "busters"    Automatic transmission fluid mixed with acetone was the BEST penetrant/rust buster out of all concoctions that were tested.  I forget what the mix was, but you might do a Google search if going that route interests you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the input folks. As usual you guys kick butt!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So I just picked up a pretty nice C stock but the roll pin that holds the mount for the swivel is REALLY rusty. Obviously heat is out of the question so will a penetrating oil like Kroil or Liquid Wrench mess with the stock in any way. Thoughts please?
View Quote

A good oil, a roll pin punch, and a 4oz hammer. Soak overnight, soak again in the morning. Brace with a block of wood and go slow with a 4oz brass hammer tapping it slowly out. I did mine with CLP, a #2 or #3 roll pin punch (if I recall), and a brass hammer. Came out without too much excitement.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#15]

might think about trying some evapo-rust then Aerokroil or the like

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:02:33 AM EDT
[#16]
For what it's worth, I've left PB Blaster on early stock hardware for days on end with no damage to the surrounding stock material.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a stubborn rusted pin as well. I had the swivel supported on a block as suggested and started hammering on it pretty hard. After only a few good whacks, I noticed a hairline crack starting from the pin hole. Luckily I stopped soon enough that it's hardly noticeable. Then soaked it in PB blaster and got it out the next day. I would suggest lots of light taps instead of really pounding on it. Similar to removing rusty Car suspension bolts, the vibration from lots of tapping can help break lose the rust little by little and allow the PB blaster to seep in deeper. I tapped on mine awhile, soaked, came back later, tapped again, and so on til it eventually came out. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#18]
If your afraid of cracking the stock and want to get fancy, couldn't you square the stock up to an appropriate sized end mill bit and just kiss both ends of the roll pin? Just enough to clean off the rust and make it look better. Then touch it up with a little cold blue.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#19]
So I spent some time cleaning up the stock and soaking the roll pin before I did any tapping.  Once I got all the gunk cleaned of her I noticed a small hairline crack already on both sides.  They look VERY minor with no visible separation and no wiggle at all in the swivel mount.  Obviously I'm going to abandon trying to get the old mount out but is there any preventative medicine to keep the crack from getting worse? I'm wondering if the rust on the swivel mount under the surface caused swelling leading to the crack.  IMHO the stock looks pretty cool.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Super glue would easily go into the crack and make it stronger. Are you SURE that you didn't ignore our advice and tap it just a little, causing the cracks?  Those cracks look just like the ones I caused on my stock
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Someone beat you to it?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Super glue would easily go into the crack and make it stronger. Are you SURE that you didn't ignore our advice and tap it just a little, causing the cracks?  Those cracks look just like the ones I caused on my stock
View Quote

No tapping involved on my part.  How freaking thin is the stock in that area anyways?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No tapping involved on my part.  How freaking thin is the stock in that area anyways?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got an A1 stock set with hand guards and a pistol grip from Numrich and the rear swing swivel is totally rusted. I did a soak in CLP, Mobile one, and PB Blaster. I can move the swivel portion back and forth now, but it still has not budged after a few good whacks with a punch. After reading this thread I am worried about breaking the stock, so I decided to leave it alone. I am going to carefully hit it with a dremel wire brush and then spray some black rustoleum and call it good.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok so I have just a little experience here. I removed a little over 50 of these earlier this year from stocks. The key is to support the stud and the stock. I wrapped a pice of 3/8 round with a shop towel and wrapped some tape on it. It supports it perfect when layed underneath. The pins went  into the towel.

Kaisermans suggestion is very good also milling it out would be good for saving a stock.

I had alot that the studs swelled and cracked the stocks as you described. I couldn't see your pics but yes I have seen a bunch this way.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:00:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I would give it a minor clean up and hit with a light coat flat black and call it a day , The P/B might be alright like one guy said ,but could brake down the fiberglass not sure .
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I would give it a minor clean up and hit with a light coat flat black and call it a day , The P/B might be alright like one guy said ,but could brake down the fiberglass not sure .
View Quote
This is what I did OP.

When I got my stock:

After cleaning and painting (couple of days of mostly PB cleaner, then wire wheel/sandpaper/dremel):

I then decided I really wanted the rust out of the stock pin (the swivel pin was fine), so I sprayed more PB Blaster and "drilled" through with some 18 gauge wire:

The great thing (in my opinion) is the PB Blaster softened up the paint a bit, and while I was "drilling" it ended up creating a worn look that I was going to try on purpose to accomplish later so as to better match the stock's condition:

It all depends on what you're up to, but I would leave it alone as far as trying to knock the pin out.

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#27]
The crack could well be from the expansion of the rust. If it was mine I'd try using electrolytic rust removal, taking time to let the solution penetrate the area around the pin. The solution won't hurt the stock so it could sit for a looooooong time. Since the lug  is junk I'd put the lug in a vise to drive the pin out  Very gently I might add. The pin is tight in lug so it's best to hold that.

There is a penetrating super glue that will wick into the crack, but you'll want to be careful not to make a mess.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top