Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2016 1:11:46 PM EDT
Hi Folks,

I am aware that this is not the Equipment Exchange, but none of the core group of AR-10 enthusiasts here in Retro Heaven don't seem to frequent that area as my WTB post has gotten no attention for about a week, and so I hope y'all moderators will allow this considering my unique situation. I also would love to answer questions about the book and my findings here! I am the author of the new book from Collector Grade Publications The ArmaLite AR-10: World's Finest Battle Rifle (http://www.collectorgrade.com/bookshelf10.html), and one of the driving forces behind me writing and working on the book so long (almost two years of research, writing, interviewing, and general hard work in addition to my day job as an intellectual property attorney) was a deal my wife made with me that only if I wrote a book on the original AR-10 and get it published could I start buying original AR-10s. I have longed for one for years, and now that the book is in print and shipping, I am finally free to buy one!

Needless to say, in my research for the book I made a lot of great contacts, particularly overseas, and have accumulated a handsome collection of rare parts and accessories thanks to them. I have also been privy to the sales of some very rare variants (strangely, much more so than the more common varieties) like two Hollywoods, so I can be very helpful to the collector who sells to me or helps me get one, by sharing my contacts who have cool stuff to sell, particularly in Holland, Portugal, and Britain.

I'm not after a big collection and don't entertain any notions of completing a collection of the rarest varieties, and simply want to get a great-looking Portuguese and either Sudanese or Guatemalan for my own. Money really isn't an object for me on these two, so I am trying to find the best examples out there of the standard infantry model (not the rare ones cut for scopes or the relatively-common bipod-equipped Portuguese) of each make, in semi-auto. I certainly wouldn't turn down an opportunity to get a Transitional Carbine, Cuban, or Finnish rifle either, but I don't have as much interest in them, or the Hollywood or Transitional.

I am only interested in semi-autos, as while I could afford full-autos, I steadfastly refuse to purchase any firearm or accessory that requires me to go through the hassle and indignity of ATF registration and periodic submissions of my collection and home for inspection. My top choice would be a Hahn rewelded original lower in semi-auto, although I would be very happy with a Telko, Specialty Arms, or Sendra (aluminum only, none of the steel ones they made) as well. I am somewhat picky about condition, but am very prepared to pay for it. However, there is practically no original AR-10 I would not seriously consider.

I would also love to answer some questions about cool stuff I found in my research, although I won't give away any of the surprises I have in store in the book. For those of y'all that are interested and buy one, I really hope you like it!
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#1]
First I've heard about a new AR10 book. I've been waiting years for an updated version. Thanks for your effort to make it happen.
OK, Book ordered.
I'll would be glad to comment after I get through it.

I can't help you on finding a semi-auto right now. But something will pop up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your efforts on the book, look forward to reading it :)
Best of luck in your search too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I ordered the book this weekend, and am trying really hard to convince myself to let go of one of my rifles for you.  Problem is, selling guns goes against every instinct and fiber of my being.  It's a curse.  And a blessing.  But a curse.
On the other hand, starting this fall, I will have two kids in college at the same time, and I'm struggling to accept the possibility of a cash crunch which may mandate the liquidation of certain martial artifacts.
I am trying to fathom life with a downsized collection!

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm really honored; thanks a lot! It was a Herculean effort, but I'm very proud of and satisfied with how it came out. When I was writing the first draft never in my wildest dreams did I think Collector Grade Publications would be into it, but when I contacted them about licensing a few photos of theirs, I was overjoyed to learn that Blake Stevens was interested in publishing it. He is an AWESOME dude, and he and I spent a year editing, formatting, and acquiring new info and illustrations. It wasn't an easy project to accomplish, especially while working full time, but it is totally worth it; especially if I can get my reward of an original AR-10.

In the future if y'all folks like your copies and want them signed, I'd be happy to make that happen for my fellow retro forum folks, as y'all were the ones that guided me when I was first learning to walk in the AR-10 world!
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations on the kids going to college there, Ol'Gunner; sounds like you did a bang-up job as a parent! My wife and I have a daughter (our first kid, seeing as we are in our 20s) on the way as well. I'm going to do my utmost to turn that little half-white, half-Chinese bundle into an enthusiastic AR-10'er. The editing of the book took so long that when I first found out my wife was expecting, Blaje and I joked about which would be born first; my kid or my book

Right now my bleeding-heart liberal mother is grittin her teeth as she knits a pink onesie for my daughter that reads: "You can have my gun, when you pry it from my tiny-stubby fingers!"
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Need to order your book. I was eyeballing it the other day but I was in France so didn't even want to attempt ordering something on my phone overseas!

If I come across one i'll drop you a pm. I usually check the regular sources quite frequently, usually when I find one I tinker with the idea of buying it then I remember that I promised the SO I wouldn't buy anything else
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am only interested in semi-autos, as while I could afford full-autos, I steadfastly refuse to purchase any firearm or accessory that requires me to go through the hassle and indignity of ATF registration and periodic submissions of my collection and home for inspection.
View Quote

Congrats on the book!

The first part of your quoted statement is true the second is not. The ATF can not come to your home and search the rest of your collection. Yes, they can come to your home and yes they can ask to verify the serial on your rifle but you can also tell them that you will meet them at you attorneys office with the weapon in question.

it does not open you up to any more scrutiny in general. If you can afford to do it and don't mind the investment it is a good one to make. It's not like they will be making more of the originals even if by some miracle the Hughes Amendment  gets overturned.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
A little off topic, because I don't own your book yet to look it up: Which AR-10's will the Sudenese bayonet fit?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:58:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Sudanese bayonet will fit the Sudanese and Guatemalan rifles.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#10]
And some early Transitional AR10's used Sudanese style bayonets.  Some later Transitionals used Porto bayonets.  
However most Transitional AR10's had no bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:37:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Olgunner, not to try and talk you into doing anything you don't want but let me give you a little perspective from the other side as well as the funding your kids college stand point.

My grandfather was a farmer and an FFL for the winter months slow down. He was the kind of guy that when he found a deal on something he would buy two or maybe three.

When he passed away my father ended up with about half of his collection. Storing and caring for them to make sure they didn't rust away became more of a chore than a hobby.

My father now has metastatic prostate cancer and I helped him move to be closer to family. We went through the collection and he let me take whatever I wanted, we made stacks for my two sisters, one for the "estate auction" he had while still alive, one of ones he wanted to keep and after that was all said and done there were still a bunch that we didn't know what to do with as nobody "wanted" them.

I am slowly selling off the "extra" pistols for him as they are easy to store and ship but I can tell you there comes a point where too many is too much. Where it ceases to be fun anymore and becomes a chore or a burden.

Don't get me wrong, I love guns as much as the next guy and am grateful for the awesome collection I received but at some point it crosses the line from collecting to hoarding and stuff is just stuff.

Bad example but I used to collect Star Wars stuff and had all the original things from my childhood and bought the new toys when episode 1 came out. I realized that a collection doesn't bring me much joy when it's boxed up in the attic. They are meant to be seen and enjoyed so I let my kids open them up over time and I get the joy of watching them enjoy them.

I don't mean to sound preachy or anything just giving you a perspective from the other side of your potential heirs.

Toys are meant to be shared and collecting is about the hunt, once you've caught it it's not as fun anymore in my experience.

You can always share your toys
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Give the EE some time. Sometimes it takes years to find what you are looking for.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top