Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2015 5:58:54 AM EDT
I stumbled across almost everything I need to put together a mutt, I decided to do a mock up just for kicks, nothing about it is correct and I'm missing a few things (hence the rubber bands in lieu of a handguard cap)

Even with the government profile barrel it's pretty handy, I may have just gotten bit by the 605 bug.

Crappy cell pic.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like it was meant to be! Everything matches perfectly. I say build it, you can always swap barrels if you so desire.....
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a good "Go To" rifle to me.  I always like mutts.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice!  Thats exactly what I just did with all my spare parts

making a mutt 605
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I did a Psuedo 605 with my Bushmaster Dissapator barrel and it shot great until I tore it down to do a real 605. I think Morg gave me the hand gaurds, that had a cutout section in the heatsheilds to clear the gas block.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that a gray lower?

Looks like it matches the upper and slip ring.....
View Quote

The upper and lower Have both been sprayed with rustoleum primer, it's very dark. Not quite black but close.

Its a temporary fix, both will be Cerakoted no matter what they end up as.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
What's the better setup reliability wise, dissipator or a real rifle length gas system with the gas port opened up?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What's the better setup reliability wise, dissipator or a real rifle length gas system with the gas port opened up?
View Quote

The Dissipator with Carbine gas system has been known to be very reliable. A 16" barrel with a rifle length gas system will need a gas port tweak, port opened up, etc to run right. Once you get it running correctly, they both are reliable, but you answered your own question. The Dissipator with Carbine length gas system will be more reliable out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Dissipator with Carbine gas system has been known to be very reliable. A 16" barrel with a rifle length gas system will need a gas port tweak, port opened up, etc to run right. Once you get it running correctly, they both are reliable, but you answered your own question. The Dissipator with Carbine length gas system will be more reliable out of the box.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I do end up doing one I'll have it cut to 15". I'd prefer a rifle gas system as long as I don't need a half inch gas port.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I do end up doing one I'll have it cut to 15". I'd prefer a rifle gas system as long as I don't need a half inch gas port.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

John Thomas has it down to a Science now.... It's larger but it's only like .090 or something like that. Right, a 605 will be 15" with a permanently attached 3 prong. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the 18" barrel with rifle length gas system is the shortest you should go without opening your gas port.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is that a gray lower?

View Quote

Looks like a painted Delta Ring.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that a gray lower?

It's actually a black one from BCM.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

John Thomas has it down to a Science now.... It's larger but it's only like .090 or something like that. Right, a 605 will be 15" with a permanently attached 3 prong. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the 18" barrel with rifle length gas system is the shortest you should go without opening your gas port.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know, I'd probably use a NoDak 604 upper when they are available again.

I have to get my 603 done, I've had the upper boxed up ready to go to JT for a month.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top