Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2015 9:43:56 PM EDT
Could someone please tell me "A", the distance from the end of the stock to the apex of the curve ??

I am turning a Type D into an A for my 601 project.

Thanks in advance, BC
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I think its about 1.25 inches. Inch and a quarter. Kind of hard to measure it precisely because the curve is kind of subtle.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't you cut through the plastic shell and into the foam?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

i believe those that have done this modification have encountered this and had to rebuild the shell post contouring.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#4]
This doesn't answer your question, but it is a possible solution for this and other dimension needs. I do it a lot. It's pretty close, usually.   Take a ruler and measure the length of that stock on your computer screen, then measure the "A" area on your screen.  Let's say the stock is 4" on the screen, and you know an actual stock is 8 inches. You measure "A" and let's say it is .5 inch.  Do a ratio  4 over 8 is equivalent to .5 over  x.    So, 1/2 (.5) times 8 divided by 4 and the length of "A" would be 1 inch.  Make sense?    I do it quite often when I've reversed engineered something off the net just by looking at pictures.  I'm not saying the numbers that I've used in the example are the actual numbers............I just pulled numbers out of thin air.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

i believe those that have done this modification have encountered this and had to rebuild the shell post contouring.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could do a B with a D no problem, A from a D.... I see a lot of issues.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I have held up a 601 A stock next to a D stock. It does appear that you will broach the plastic shell and need to get out the bondo. I think you might want more measurements of a 601 A stock than just that one. You may need to build up some part of the sweep before the angle where the D is more gradual.

Let us see your plan and progress.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Here you go If you want higher res, email me.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like an inch and 3/8 to the curve from 601 Green's picture.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Who remembers that song, "The first cut is the deepest" ??

But I do have some experience with fiberglass and bondo.

Thanks guys,
BC
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#10]
NIIIIIIIIIICE!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NIIIIIIIIIICE!
View Quote

He's not bluecar for nothing!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:32:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Ouch, and Woooooow look out Carroll Shelby, thats sweet!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:57:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice blue car, bluecar!  Nice photo, too!

Hey, if you're gonna be grinding on that Type D, you might as well go all the way!  Remember that the A is slimmer.  Handle enough and it'll get to where you can tell an early stock (A, B and C) by feel.

I've got two A's and one D in front of me.  Assuming these are typical, the thickest portion of the Type As (at the rear) maxes out at 1-9/16".  The Type D is only about 1/16" thicker there.  
...But where it's more noticeable is up front.  The Type As measure 1-9/32" across the "mouth" while the Type D is a full 1/8" wider.  Doesn't sound like much, but it's visible because the D is wider than the "rim" of the buffer tube--and like I said, if you pay attention to them, you can feel the difference.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:04:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice blue car, bluecar!  Nice photo, too!

Hey, if you're gonna be grinding on that Type D, you might as well go all the way!  Remember that the A is slimmer.  Handle enough and it'll get to where you can tell an early stock (A, B and C) by feel.

I've got two A's and one D in front of me.  Assuming these are typical, the thickest portion of the Type As (at the rear) maxes out at 1-9/16".  The Type D is only about 1/16" thicker there.  
...But where it's more noticeable is up front.  The Type As measure 1-9/32" across the "mouth" while the Type D is a full 1/8" wider.  Doesn't sound like much, but it's visible because the D is wider than the "rim" of the buffer tube--and like I said, if you pay attention to them, you can feel the difference.
View Quote

if you're looking at it straight on, there are usually 2 flats at the 1 and 11 o clock position where the stock thins out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Fiberglass and Bondo??????   I thought those were aluminum.  

Nice car man!   A buddy of mine has one that same color/white stripes with an all aluminum 427 Windsor.........stupid fast. First and only ride I ever took with him and we're cruising down this country road. We come to a stop sign and need to make a left turn.......we turn left and about 200 yards down the road is a sign that shows 35 MPH curve.........at about the curve we are doing 90+ and I think he's going to downshift to go through the turn.......NOOOOOoooooooooo............he catches another gear and we're drifting through the curve. Scared the living crap out of me, and I like fast.......when I'm behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Makes my 6 cyl BMW 325 IS 5 Speed look like a bitch.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#17]
in for pics of the finished product. Also nice car...very jealous!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I would just use a real type a and know it was legit.   They are out there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#19]
First fill and shaping with a knife.  I'll refine with a block and paper
today to get the final shape.  As suggested, I am also going to thin
the sides of the stock at the buffer tube.

Thanks for the help with the stock and the comments on the car.  Supposed to be
60 degrees in KC today, time for a ride.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top