Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/3/2014 8:59:44 PM EDT
Once again, I got out of the retro game for quite a while and here I come crawling back like a strung out addict. Still have my 601 (not ever going anywhere), but I'm making progress on my XM177E1 project (possible 607 if I can get a stock...) and now I started a new M16A1 project.

I'll be sending the 16" barrel off to be cut down to 10" very soon, but I still need to get that lower SBR'ed, so the barrel will either sit in the parts box or put back on the upper and the upper will live on my Colt M4 SBR lower for a while.

Just got the second A1 upper, triangular HGs, and Type D buttstock (with slight mottling) from boywonder77 today (thanks man!). But now my predicament is that I have a C H forge M16A1 upper and a no-forge-code XM16E1 upper, so I could do one of two things:

Option A: Make an M16A1 with the CH upper and a full fence lower. (Would a three prong FH be totally off base for something like that? I know I should know, but like I said, I've been out of the game for a while ) Then use XM upper and lower to make early XM177E1 (or 607, stock dependent).

Option B: Use no-forge upper and partial fence lower to make an XM16E1 and use CH upper and a full fence lower to make a late XM177E1.

What does the hive-mind say? You guys are always able to steer me in the right (and most expensive ) direction!
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Any thought to trading the 16" barrel for a 10" or 11.5" one?  Would be a shame to cut the barrel if it's a Colt.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Drool....
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any thought to trading the 16" barrel for a 10" or 11.5" one?  Would be a shame to cut the barrel if it's a Colt.
View Quote

It's a CMMG barrel. I would LOVE to trade it, especially since it's not had 100 rounds through it. But I'd have to find someone with a 10" light barrel that would be wanting to trade
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Option A.

Then you have a long thing and a short thing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
My vote would be for an XM177E1 and a late M16A1 with the CH upper. Like Cal said, a long thing and a short thing.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Welcome back
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:23:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I will second every post so far.

That partial fence lower with the car stock is beautiful.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah...I really do love the partial fence on the XM177/XM607 uppers. Now, would a 3 prong be accurate for a regular M16A1?
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah...I really do love the partial fence on the XM177/XM607 uppers. Now, would a 3 prong be accurate for a regular M16A1?
View Quote

Go for option A. And while really the CH code upper would have had a birdcage, I don't think anyone would hold it against you if you used a 3 prong on your A1.

Build brother, BUILD!!!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#10]
According to what I've read, after the trial period with the E1 when the Army spec'ed out what they wanted on the A1 they called out the birdcage, but a lot of the early A1s were delivered with the pronged FH.

So while the CH upper may be late for the pronged FH, only a serious collector or museum curator is really going to care.

eta: I've put together an A1 clone on a new A2/M4 lower and I'm working on gathering parts for a XM177E2 lookalike. So you can see that absolute accuracy is not too important to me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
According to what I've read, after the trial period with the E1 when the Army spec'ed out what they wanted on the A1 they called out the birdcage, but a lot of the early A1s were delivered with the pronged FH.

So while the CH upper may be late for the pronged FH, only a serious collector or museum curator is really going to care.
View Quote

Well, I'm both, and while I am a purist at heart and in practice, I still wouldn't mind.

There ya go Blanco, you officially have clearance to use the 3 pronger.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Welcome back
View Quote

Exactly.

Until you have a mega cache of parts again, mix and match what you do have according to your own inner retro child.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the input and comments, guys. This has always been the best community on the site since it's inception.

What I'll do is leave the 177 on the partial fence and make an M16A1 with a full fence. And a 3 prong flashider, dammit
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We need you in here White Devil. The RBRD will always be in your blood!!
View Quote

THIS! You cannot escape!
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:27:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I hear you, I thought I was done and just realized, I could really, really use those two NDS lowers that I sold last year
for two more builds.  Darny darn darn!
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

THIS! You cannot escape!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We need you in here White Devil. The RBRD will always be in your blood!!

THIS! You cannot escape!

For sure! I wanted a project to work on for the winter... Yeah, first one- done waaay too fast!
Second one under way.
By spring, I'll probably be sittin' here W/ a couple new builds And a hole in my wallet LOL!
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Just sent the 16" barrel out yesterday to John Thomas to have the XM177E1 treatment
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just sent the 16" barrel out yesterday to John Thomas to have the XM177E1 treatment
View Quote

Nice. The XM177E1 is one of my favorites. Have a build planned myself, am hoping I don't have to sell the receivers at some point. Basically I have everything but barrel, moderator and BCG.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#20]
My barrel will be back from Mr. Thomas today!!! Will post pics tonight or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input and comments, guys. This has always been the best community on the site since it's inception.

What I'll do is leave the 177 on the partial fence and make an M16A1 with a full fence. And a 3 prong flashider, dammit
View Quote

My "XM16E1 clone" was on a full fence lower for a long time before I got a partial fence lower to replace it (and then promptly traded it for an engraved one!  ).  

My upper is still a late M16A1 with a "CHOME BORE" marked barrel and "C H" forge mark - but it uses a three-prong flash suppressor and older mottled furniture and a Type "D" stock.  

The only thing I think I want to do with it is to put in a repro (can't afford an original) chrome BCG and maybe a waffle mag.  

Basically - "it looks the part," but is actually a fairly nice shooter with the "updated" parts - it used to have an Edgewater buffer in it that I sold and put a normal rifle buffer in it - no one could see it, and the rest of it wasn't terribly correct anyways.  

The point of all that being, though, that you can use a three prong on a full fence lower, and it will be just fine.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Well I got my barrel back from John Thomas and it's beautiful!! Please excuse the modern lower, it's my only SBR AR lower right now. Have to register my NDS XM16 lower. I can't get over how light and handy this thing is. Can't wait to shoot it!

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Sexy as hell!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top