Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2014 7:31:00 AM EDT

Check out the Handguard Retaining Ring on these Colt Model 6001's, and Please let me know where I may be able to find one in Good or Better Condition.

</a>" />

Copied this pic/ad from forum member Booze
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The only 2 sources I've known here in retroland were my65pan who made a run of them and also Edwin at Total Silence inc. My65pan I don't think is doing ANY AR related stuff at this time,and I'm not sure what Edwins status is.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Theres a member here who has at least 2 that he uses on builds, then takes them off, etc is it Sgt1911?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]
No doubt they were aluminum/anodized, but in today's world where anodizing seems to be hard to come by, would they be received well if they were steel and could be parkerized. Or do you guys think people would rather "paint" them, and have them out of aluminum?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
You know, I really don't think that E1would look that bad with a SIG brace...
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You know, I really don't think that E1would look that bad with a SIG brace...
View Quote

Blasphemy!

JK, , Go for it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No doubt they were aluminum/anodized, but in today's world where anodizing seems to be hard to come by, would they be received well if they were steel and could be parkerized. Or do you guys think people would rather "paint" them, and have them out of aluminum?
View Quote

I'm not sure it would not matter. I would guess it would come down to how close to correct we would be looking for. I'd take raw and DuraCoat one...
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

my65pan made his batch from "aluminium" and looks like he anodized them. The one I have is a little scratched, but would be much more worn if painted I would guess.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Theres a member here who has at least 2 that he uses on builds, then takes them off, etc is it Sgt1911?
View Quote

I got them from Edwin-Total Silence

They're still on there
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Anybody know what year this ad was made?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one made by Edwin , contact braceman,
He can make you one, and I can send him mine to use as a template
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:02:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They're still on there
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're still on there

I just remember theads of you swapping parts around and trying these on a few different builds, one being a 605. I knew/thought it was you and had 2, which were different colors.. one gray and one black? I'm going off of memory here.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:13:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Some useless history:  Year used would have been 1966 tool-room prototype XM177.  It's a pain in the @%# to manipulate.

SGW/Oly Arms made repros of them in the early 1980's.  I bought one out of Shotgun News around 1983.  They called it an Early XM177 Prototype handguard ring.
They were black anodized.

When I first started to visit the forum I asked if anyone had ever made these.  Nobody had.  Mark (My65pan) offered to make some, I think like 10.  It was a small batch.
Then TS made them after re-opening.

So as far as I know; There are the one or ones that Colt made.  The ones that SGW/OLY made in the 80's,   My65's (10) made, TSI's batch, and who ever has hand rolled some since.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top