Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/18/2014 4:04:40 PM EDT
I have been trying to track down an authentic colt carry handle scope, do I have any other options for a good quality carry handle scope?
I would prefer the colt to keep it looking authentic, but who are we kidding, a real xm should be full auto and the real moderator is impossible to find and controlled.
So I am good with anything that is decent quality and functional for my a1 upper.

I recently saw a local biker cop with what looked to be a SP1 mounted on the bike, and he had a 1.5x or 2x acog on it, that's a cool idea, but spendy
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if you are looking for magnification or not but check out this thread for a kinda cool, kinda retro cheap option if you don't need magnification.

I'm not sure if they are still available from the source listed but I have seen them come up once in a while on the EE. There are kinda-sorta like reproductions of the Colt scope out there for reasonable or prepare to spend $200-$300 for an actual Colt one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know if you are looking for magnification or not but check out this thread for a kinda cool, kinda retro cheap option if you don't need magnification.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t311/hilljacknm/s18.jpg

I'm not sure if they are still available from the source listed but I have seen them come up once in a while on the EE. There are kinda-sorta like reproductions of the Colt scope out there for reasonable or prepare to spend $200-$300 for an actual Colt one.
View Quote

Dammit banshee now i have to have one!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, they are kinda cool but it's the white ring sight like they used on the first generation FN PS90 and they kind of suck as a day time optic as it tends to wash out on light colored backgrounds or low light.

They originaly had tritium vials that also did a "T" reticle but it is long dead though even with them it still sucked on my PS90. The thread has many work arounds for adding fiber optics to improve the dot and a guy was even making blocks for them that would go right in the front of it on a carry handle.

Here's a link for a guy who has the sights in stock and you can get the fiber optic block from a guy in the thread I mentioned
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can find one an Israeli Eyal scope, or a Beeman SS2 might be a good option for you.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#5]
NightForce made a darn good carry handle scope.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Seems like I remember that being made for Nightforce by the same company (Eyal?) That made those Izzy scopes. Am I crazy? I don't feel like checking 10 years of archives though...
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Along the same line, is there a carry handle mount for an Aimpoint T1?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Are the Colt 4x20 scopes even worth what they go for as far as overall quality is concerned? This thread just got me thinking.
I'd really like to have one but I wouldn't want to pay $400 for a $200 scope that says 'Colt' on it.

Is it just a collectability thing?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are the Colt 4x20 scopes even worth what they go for as far as overall quality is concerned? This thread just got me thinking.
I'd really like to have one but I wouldn't want to pay $400 for a $200 scope that says 'Colt' on it.

View Quote

Yeah, I think it is. They are decent quality, but I don't see them being worth the kind of coin they are bringing these days frankly. Still, if you really want one, unfortunately your choices are limited.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]
The beeman scopes are superb, I wish I had one. Ive played with a couple, very nice optics and adjustable focus. Some are even illuminated fiber optically.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Seems like I remember that being made for Nightforce by the same company (Eyal?) That made those Izzy scopes. Am I crazy? I don't feel like checking 10 years of archives though...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That scope was never made for or by NightForce.  It is a ripoff.  It is a great quality scope but they ripped off the NightForce name.

When I wrote NightForce about the scope they told me it was a fraud.  They offered to buy it from me for $400 to get it off the streets.

I have several Colt scopes and I think this is much better quality.  It is solid and the glass is very clear and it is made very well.  The BDC is perfect.  However, it was not made by NightForce.

If I could find another one for sale I would buy it in heartbeat because it is such a well made scope.  I suspect it was made by the same company that made the Israeli battle scopes because there are similarities.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Another good carry handle scope is the Trijicon TA-44S.  It is lightweight and of course very solid.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you can find one an Israeli Eyal scope, or a Beeman SS2 might be a good option for you.
View Quote

Article on the SS2 at Pyramid Air website:  click here

it looks pretty close to, but not exactly like, the alleged Nightforce scope mentioned earlier.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Of course the Tao1nsn is another possibility - I would love to put one on my soon to be completed BHDish carbine. I am really vacillating between the 603 upper however and the Colt LMG (A2 w/no FA) upper.  

FWIW Hakko made the original Japanese Colt scopes, and they made others for years - some had lit reticles...but I think they are out of business. My point is, if you can find a used Hakko scope on ebay, you'd be G2G.

I've always like the look of this rifle:

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Great thread.  I really like the idea of a magnified ACOG on a carry handle.

Does anyone know when this optic would have first hit the field ?  
My guess is that the red dot or occluded eye thingee came along earlier.
But, in other words, just how retro
could you really get with a carry handle ACOG ?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know, but I have pic of one on a 723 somewhere. I just don't know when the Acog came out - the early Aimpoints were first. Now that I see that pic again I am thinking about duplicating that carbine again. It's always been one of my favorites, and I have everything but the Acog, and I just got hired tonight to start a new job monday, so it's conceivable I could actually afford one pretty soon...
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#17]
The early Trijicon is another option, like this one

I have an El-Op on my IDF clone and somebody had them for like $100 a good while back. I wish I would have known about them then as I got mine for like $200 but great little rugged scope if you can find one.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I installed a TA33-8 ACOG on my SP-1 carbine and love it. Also have a Chinese clone of the Colt optic that fits the carry handle nicely and seems to do its job well. Just don't use it anymore since I installed the ACOG.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are still deals to be had, just picked one up o the EE for $200 shipped a month ago. it was the later 4x20 Colt scope but still they sell for $350.00-$400.00.

ETA: A.R.M.S. makes Aimpoint carry handle mounts for both the Micro and older models, I have several 1 on a BHD 723 clone and one I use on a A2 uppered M4.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top