Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/19/2014 5:40:29 PM EDT
Not my auction, but never heard of this one before, seller is calling it a "Colt's Show Gun."

Either this is a priceless one-off from Colt, or a defaced lower. I know which I think to be the case, but what about you guys?

Picture below, here's the link: GB Auction 417331921

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a "Man Eating Carp" story to me.  It is a late production SP1 at that.  I say BS.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Engraving is different typeface's? I say B.S.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never heard of one before.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The space where "Show Gun" is engraved is usually blank, right? So like already been said. BS.

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#5]
They had laser engravers with the Colibri font back then?
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I might point out that Colt ALWAYS put "COLT" not "COLT'S" not even back in the day of Colt Peacemaker 1873s.  If anything, they would have "SHOW GUN" if it had anything at all.  If I had a show gun it would be "Molloy show gun" not "Molloy's show gun."  The 's to me feels like someone else is saying, "hey this is Colt's show gun".  Just plain stinks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#7]
i guess its possible they made it up in the 70s

2008 Colt Collectors Association Show Gun

Bill Gamradt did a magnificent job on the 2008 Colt Collectors Association (CCA) "Show Gun" that will be auctioned on Saturday evening October 4 in Houston, Texas. The CCA hosts its annual show in different State venues around the country every October. The Show Gun is traditionally theme engraved for the annual host State.

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#8]
The gun comes with 2 Colt clips and web sling. Great collectors AR.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm... Without some significant provenance, you have to buy the gun, not the story.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The gun comes with 2 Colt clips and web sling. Great collectors AR.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130412233907/theamazingworldofgumball/images/0/0a/Seems-legit.jpg

LOL.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Who wants a gun labeled a show pony?
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I was at a gunshow one time and a guy was trying to sell an M1 Carbine that was supposedly Audie Murphy's.  Supposedly given to his father by Audie himself.  Several problems:  It was a post WW II mixmaster and had no provenance. Besides, his (Murphy's) M1 carbine is in a US Army museum. I wonder how many "Audie Murphy carbines he sold to suckers....
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They had laser engravers with the Colibri font back then?
View Quote

Hmm.  Perhaps Dan Rather is the seller?
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Clearly aftermarket remarked.  Worth every penny of sentimental value you associate with it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I think is is legit. Colt is well known for marking guns just like this for use at the Shot show and the Colt Collectors Association shows.

Here is one on a handgun for sale on gunbroker.

I still think it is over priced and would require a letter from colt to authenticate it.

Link Posted: 5/20/2014 5:06:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I think that's the one Richard Chamberlin used in Shogun.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think that's the one Richard Chamberlin used in Shogun.
View Quote

(rimshot and applause)

Good one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was at a gunshow one time and a guy was trying to sell an M1 Carbine that was supposedly Audie Murphy's.  Supposedly given to his father by Audie himself.  Several problems:  It was a post WW II mixmaster and had no provenance. Besides, his (Murphy's) M1 carbine is in a US Army museum. I wonder how many "Audie Murphy carbines he sold to suckers....
View Quote

Shucks!   Are you suggesting that guy who sold me the same m1917 Enfield that Sgt. York used to capture 132 German soldiers was stringing me along?
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Shucks!   Are you suggesting that guy who sold me the same m1917 Enfield that Sgt. York used to capture 132 German soldiers was stringing me along?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've got one too? -
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I had an acquaintance about 15 years ago.  He had an 1893 Marlin in 30-30.  He claimed his great grandfather was an Army Scout used it to fight in the Indian wars around the time Custer was massacred (1876)  Problem was, I gently tried to explain to him, was Marlin did not produce the 1893 Lever Action until 1893 (hence the name) and did not release it in 30-30 (IIRC) until 1895, almost 20 tears later....
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was on display at the Third Infantry Museum at Ft Stewart, GA. Not quite as impressive a museum as the Ordnance Museum that was located at Aberdeen Proving Ground, but never the less I spent a lot of free time there. I need to get to Ft Lee and check out the relocated Ordnance Museum it's only a couple of hours away, but I never seem to have much free time these days.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I need to get to Ft Lee and check out the relocated Ordnance Museum it's only a couple of hours away, but I never seem to have much free time these days.

Thanks for info.  Didn't know there was a museum there.  Go by there regularly (tomorrow).  May have to stop.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I need to get to Ft Lee and check out the relocated Ordnance Museum it's only a couple of hours away, but I never seem to have much free time these days.

Thanks for info.  Didn't know there was a museum there.  Go by there regularly (tomorrow).  May have to stop.
View Quote

More than one actually.

http://www.qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/

http://www.awm.lee.army.mil/

http://www.goordnance.army.mil/OTHC/ ( Okay just read in the link The new Ordnance Museum is not open yet but they have displays at the Quartermaster Museum)

You know what really burns my butt, besides a fire about this high......is when folks type ordinance instead of ordnance.

Link Posted: 5/20/2014 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe I missed the context you are referring to, but that is not correct.  I have seen many series 70 1911 mk IV slides that say "Colt's" in big letters.  I have also see at least one single action army marked colt's mfg.  That's just what I can recall.

Haven't seen it on an AR before though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've heard of "Show Girls".....
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently they mark them the same way:

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I might point out that Colt ALWAYS put "COLT" not "COLT'S" not even back in the day of Colt Peacemaker 1873s.
View Quote

Always?

Link Posted: 5/22/2014 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s983.photobucket.com/user/44Echo10/media/Gun%20Stuff/carbine/14kgsq0_zps62536c8a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae318/44Echo10/Gun%20Stuff/carbine/14kgsq0_zps62536c8a.jpg</a>
It was on display at the Third Infantry Museum at Ft Stewart, GA. Not quite as impressive a museum as the Ordnance Museum that was located at Aberdeen Proving Ground, but never the less I spent a lot of free time there. I need to get to Ft Lee and check out the relocated Ordnance Museum it's only a couple of hours away, but I never seem to have much free time these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s983.photobucket.com/user/44Echo10/media/Gun%20Stuff/carbine/14kgsq0_zps62536c8a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae318/44Echo10/Gun%20Stuff/carbine/14kgsq0_zps62536c8a.jpg</a>

Pretty sure there's a Garand and totally sure there's an Audie Murphy 1911 on display in the small Audie Murphy Museum at Audie L. Murphy VA Medical Center at San Antonio.
At least when I was working there 25 years ago there was.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I might point out that Colt ALWAYS put "COLT" not "COLT'S" not even back in the day of Colt Peacemaker 1873s.

Always?

http://i.imgur.com/UQeQfvG.jpg

I'll be darned!  That's a first for me, and I used to be heavily into historic Colt weapons.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'll be darned!  That's a first for me, and I used to be heavily into historic Colt weapons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always?

http://i.imgur.com/UQeQfvG.jpg

Had to yank your chain a little, pretty sure that's far from historic! Think it was the rollmark for earlier 6920's (correct me if I'm wrong y'all)
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:20:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Pretty sure there's a Garand and totally sure there's an Audie Murphy 1911 on display in the small Audie Murphy Museum at Audie L. Murphy VA Medical Center at San Antonio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't picture Audie Murphey giving anything to his father, since his father took off on the family when Audie was like 12, he had to quit school to work on a farm to help support his family until he lied about his age and enlisted in WWII.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Another one of the of the M1 carbines issued to Audie Murphy is on display at an Army Museum at some fort.  It was his, turned in and had a post war rebuild.  Someone in Ordnance apparently tracked it down by serial number, and it was requisitioned for the museum after the rebuild.

The one in the earlier post is still, or has been restored to original "as issued" in 1943 condition.  I have seen a photo of the rebuilt Audie Murphy carbine "in situ" in an army museum.  If it was the same one as the earlier post, it must have been restored to original since then.  There was some discussion on the rebuilt Audie Murphy Carbine in the Milsurps Carbine forum, several years ago.

With that said, I have heard of several other stories about Carbines, supposedly given to private parties families directly from "Audie Murphy, himself."  The funniest was not even a USGI, but an Alpine 1960s commercial receiver with some GI parts.  Like PT Barnum said, "There is a sucker born every minute!"

ADDED INFO:  Half way down on page (which is page 3 of a thread) is a photo of the rebuilt Audie Murphy Carbine on the Third Infantry Divisions Web site of their museum:
3rd ID Audie Murphy Carbine
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top