Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2013 5:42:10 PM EDT
Hey gang,

Been all around the site & Internet looking for this: A1 & A2 rifles--what alloy is a mil spec rifle have?

I'm guessing 6061.

Reason: I'm building a retro A1 from a Colt kit & have an A1 kit receiver extension & an A2--they're the same length. If one is more durable than the other, then I'll save the other as a spare.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Any idea for how long it's been used?

I've read that 6061 was used in the 1960s upper & lower receivers, then were switched to 7075-T6 mid-1960s. Based on 6061 being easier to machine, I thought that's what's being used.

I've contacted multiple companies on the matter later yesterday--too soon for a reply.

When I look up receiver extension/buffer tubes--the carbine alloy is listed--but not the alloy used in a rifle WTF?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top