Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2013 5:07:41 PM EDT
This process of faux bakelite painting is becoming very addictive.  So, I decided to try making a set of faux brown bakelite with distressed green for my BFPU 605.  This 605 has quickly became my favorite rifle when going to the range.

This entire process started when "57octane" posted some pictures of his nicely worn original 601 type A brown bakelite with green paint.  Unable to afford the cost for a type A stock,  My goal is to duplicate the same look as his stock and pistol grip...

First process was applying the brown bakelite appearance...

The next step was applying the green paint and my attempt at aging...

Not completely pleased with the outcome, I installed the furniture on my 605 and applied some additional "aging"...

Some outdoor pictures with natural lighting...

A group photo of my early prototype clone with original 601 handguards, original 601 pistol grip & faux brown/green buttstock (top), 602 clone with faux brown bakelite (middle) and the 605 clone with faux brown bakelite with distressed green.

Link Posted: 11/19/2013 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Very Nice job. It looks really good.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
really like it :) great work.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
i like the wear pattern you put.  very natural on areas that would have been handled often.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I like it as well. You did a great job on that mottled look and the way you faded the green into the brown looks very natural. That's how it should look and it looks really good.

I have a soft spot for the 605, so much so that it's likely going to be my next build. I'd still love to do one with a 148 mounted under barrel but, that green furniture looks pretty sweet on it as well. Heck, maybe I can combine them both. Wouldn't that be something neat; a green stocked 605 with an XM148?

You might be surprised at what those green stocks go for sometimes... If I told you how much I paid, I'd probably get hit with something.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Great minds think alike I guess. I bought a green faux stock from Booze but need to send him some HGs to finish. I had Jerrell pin a 601 style FH instead, since I planned on doing this. I had planned on a BFPU build, but the damn thing is so nice now I'm having problems doing that. I really need to get the lower built and finish it - it's sitiing on another rifle's lower at present. Damn nice pics - and a great job. I like the pic of the three together the best - nice collection!
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like it as well. You did a great job on that mottled look and the way you faded the green into the brown looks very natural. That's how it should look and it looks really good.

I have a soft spot for the 605, so much so that it's likely going to be my next build. I'd still love to do one with a 148 mounted under barrel but, that green furniture looks pretty sweet on it as well. Heck, maybe I can combine them both. Wouldn't that be something neat; a green stocked 605 with an XM148?

You might be surprised at what those green stocks go for sometimes... If I told you how much I paid, I'd probably get hit with something.
View Quote

I read that about mounting a 148 under a 605 and thought "That wouldn't work, no barrel to mount it to" then looked at pics of the 148 and see that it would work perfectly. Wow. Waiting to see that build.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for kudos.  I've tried to duplicate the look of your stock and PG.  Still not completely satisfied yet, but getting closer.  Maybe someday I'll run across an original type-A buttstock at a reasonable price so I can finish my prototype clone.

Like your comment about the XM148 on a 605.  That would make a very interesting combination.  Already have the 148 handguard, now I just need the faux launcher.

Probably make another brown/green furniture set soon and incorporate the things I've learned while making the first 2 complete sets and the single buttstock.

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks good.  What makes you like this one more than any of the other ones?  Does the 605 balance better?
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Like your comment about the XM148 on a 605.  That would make a very interesting combination.  Already have the 148 handguard, now I just need the faux launcher.

View Quote

Would you mind installing it on the 605 for a picture? I'd love to see how it looks with the green furniture.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#10]
That looks great.  I like the green on the 605.
Very unique retros you have made.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Would you mind installing it on the 605 for a picture? I'd love to see how it looks with the green furniture.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snapped a few quick ones with the XM148 handguard installed...

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Now that looks nice.

Thanks for taking the pictures. I think I might go that way with mine if I can ever track down a HG without selling any limbs or organs.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Great job!

You really hit the mark on the "natural" wear areas
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Very nice work!  I can tell you spent a little time on those!  

John Thomas
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Very nice work!  I can tell you spent a little time on those!  

John Thomas
View Quote

Thank you John,  that means a lot hearing that from you.  No where close to your faux painting skills.  Not bad for a novice though.

Do you recognize the barrel assembly?  It's the dedicated 22LR barrel you cut down, rethreaded and installed the FSB for me.  She turned out GREAT!!!

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looks good.  What makes you like this one more than any of the other ones?  Does the 605 balance better?
View Quote

I've always been drawn to the 605 style upper.  They have a very unique look, longer sight picture, short length like a carbine and handle great.  Plus I've always preferred the triangle handguards.

My 605 clone is built on a NDS 605 upper/NDS XM lower both with their "aging" process completed prior to shipment and the best part is, this is a dedicated 22LR...so it's very cheap to shoot.

The green over faux brown bakelite furniture used on this rifle is my third attempt at this process.  I added the extra "distressed" look to go along with BTDT/BFPU look of the upper and lower.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#17]
That looks great.  The painted ones guys are doing nowdays look better than my original set!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've always been drawn to the 605 style upper.  They have a very unique look, longer sight picture, short length like a carbine and handle great.  Plus I've always preferred the triangle handguards.

My 605 clone is built on a NDS 605 upper/NDS XM lower both with their "aging" process completed prior to shipment and the best part is, this is a dedicated 22LR...so it's very cheap to shoot.

The green over faux brown bakelite furniture used on this rifle is my third attempt at this process.  I added the extra "distressed" look to go along with BTDT/BFPU look of the upper and lower.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like them a lot too!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top