Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2013 2:22:58 AM EDT
I just picked up a Centurion Sporter 15. The lower is obviously clearly marked, but the upper has no marking at all. I understand these guns where pieced together by Olympic arms and I was just wondering if there is a good way to ID the upper. Also, is there a way to look up the serial number to possibly find anything out about the gun? Thanks.

I'm including a pic just because I know you guys like looking at guns.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:22:24 AM EDT
[#1]
If the upper is Olympic, it may have an "O" proof toward the front, likely on the left side just behind the gas tube port. If not, refer to the link below to see if it is a Colt upper.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/401263_USGI_Colt_603_XM16E1_M16A1_upper_buyers_guide_Edition_II.html
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:28:39 AM EDT
[#2]
And obviously its your rifle so do what you want - but I think it would look awesome with the right grip and flash hider!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Also, is there a way to look up the serial number to possibly find anything out about the gun? Thanks.
View Quote

The serial of the modern, semi-auto, replacement lower will yield no information about the original M16 rifle the parts kit came from.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys. And yes I will be addressing the grip and flash hider.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Post good close-up photos of the upper--particularly the right side, with port cover open and closed.  We might see details that help identify it.
How about the barrel--what markings do you see stamped on it (and where)?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Here you go. The barrel is marked MP inside the front sight, and C just behind the flash hider. I appreciate any info thanks.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a couple more.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#8]
MP barrel with a chrome chamber!  Made by Colt sometime between 1967 and '69 (1-12 twist).  It also looks like there may be a Colt proof mark on the upper just forward of the ejection port.  Should be a triangular mark and a square mark...a better photo might show them.

How's the bore look?
Additional pics are welcomed.  Maybe pull the handguards and show us what's under them?  (Show the inside of the handguards, too.)

ETA: Didn't think to mention it looks like a late(?) square-forge upper...I believe that could be original to the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a colt proof mark on that upper.  From the way it's hard to make out, and the dark color, the upper was probably arsenal refinished at some point.  I have an almost-identical arsenal refinished upper and the colt proof marks (triangle and c in a square) are very nearly illegible under the refinishing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a great pic but I think you can see the gas tube. What else can you tell me. I sure do appreciate all the info.
I'll have to clean the bore/chamber before I can see anything there. It's nasty!!
Cant see the marks on the upper any better in person than in the photo.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#11]
That looks like an early bend gas tube you've got there. Based on the flash hider and neutered bayonet lug I'm guessing this was put together in the ban era.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#12]
So which flash hider would be correct?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So which flash hider would be correct?
View Quote

A1 birdcage would be the most correct,

btw, you have an excellent complete upper there itching to be restored to an early m16a1, or even late xm clone
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks. I Have to admit I kinda stumbled upon this gun without knowing exactly what it was. But thanks to you all on the retro forum I now know, and I plan on making it right. That said please feel free to further point me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I would wager there is not an original colt bolt carrier group in it, that being said that would be an excellent addition to making the upper more accurately complete

as for the lower, well get on the waiting list for a nodak spud a1 or partial fence depending on which way you want to fall, your right on the bubble of transition
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#16]
That bolt carrier isn't chromed, is it?  Looks shiny in the one pic but I can't see it well on this screen.

Swap the A2 pistol grip for an A1, replace that selector switch (looks like it has a "dent"-like tick mark?), then order a Nodak Spud lower A1 lower.  You can leave it as is till the lower arrives, then swap them and sell off the first lower to offset your cost.
I personally like the 3-prong FH on the earlier guns, but with the chrome chamber this would have probably been one of the first rifles with a birdcage.

With very little trouble or expense, you could have a very nice clone of an early A1.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That bolt carrier isn't chromed, is it?  Looks shiny in the one pic but I can't see it well on this screen.

Swap the A2 pistol grip for an A1, replace that selector switch (looks like it has a "dent"-like tick mark?), then order a Nodak Spud lower A1 lower.  You can leave it as is till the lower arrives, then swap them and sell off the first lower to offset your cost.
I personally like the 3-prong FH on the earlier guns, but with the chrome chamber this would have probably been one of the first rifles with a birdcage.

With very little trouble or expense, you could have a very nice clone of an early A1.
View Quote

Says the man STILL running an A2 lower on his 'service rifle.'  
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's right.  And who's also running an all original 3-digit Model 01!
I apologize to NO ONE!  Boo Yah, Arizona Boy!!  
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 5:33:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I got to talking to the guy I got this gun from and he informs me that he swapped out the grip with a new one. So I asked him if he still had the old one and what do you know...
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And who gave you the black parts for that 'service rifle' so you could have exactly what you carried in the Navy punk? With the dearth of NDS A1 lowers these days, I can't give you too much of a hard time, even though I KNOW you already bought a black one to change it out. I will continue to try and make you feel bad about it until you change out that lower...even though I see no real issue with an A2 lower on an A1 in all practicality.

OP - Glad you got that A1 grip from the previous owner - good deal.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:39:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Morg, glad I could bring this post back to the top so you can keep bickering with your buddy...just kidding of coarse. BTW I have a nice A2 grip to trade for an A1 flash hider now,
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top