Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2013 10:11:24 AM EDT
I recently finished my first AR build, an A1 retro with help from several people here.  It turned out very nice and looks as I had hoped.  I am starting to put together a second one but I would like this to be a 7.62x39 instead of a 5.56.  Any barrels that you would recommend?  I realize I probably cannot get a 'pencil' barrel (I used a heavy barrel on the first build), I am thinking of using the YHM-75, any other suggestions?  If I do go with the YHM-75, where is the best place to look for one?

Thanks,

Scott
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently finished my first AR build, an A1 retro with help from several people here.  It turned out very nice and looks as I had hoped.  I am starting to put together a second one but I would like this to be a 7.62x39 instead of a 5.56.  Any barrels that you would recommend?  I realize I probably cannot get a 'pencil' barrel (I used a heavy barrel on the first build), I am thinking of using the YHM-75, any other suggestions?  If I do go with the YHM-75, where is the best place to look for one?

Thanks,

Scott
View Quote

I am partial to the complete Colt upper whose bolts are longer lived that some aftermarket ones. They can be a booger to get to run right. In days passed good mags were hard to find and the only ones to work were Frankenmags which were a ten round steel AR mag welded to the top of and AK mag at the proper angle to prevent 'tip drop'. I got some AK drums to run, 'used to be a real money saving blaster. I have no experience with the current mags.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#2]
It isn't retro, but I have an M4 style barrel in 7.62x39 from Citadel.
It has been accurate enough for hunting Whitetail deer and hog.

AR-Stoner30 round  magazines and 10 round magazineshave worked well for me.
The plastic Brownells 5 round magazine lasted only 2 hunting trips before exploding out the bottom while sitting in the stand.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I run the ASC 30 rd Stoners from Brownells with never a problem.  I used a 16" Hbar from seller (Highclass Hillbillly , probably an EES off GB,  $70 before frenzy),  Colt M-16 parked carrier,  Surplus Ammo 7.62x39 bolt and USGI M-16 firing pin,  surplus rifle stock and buffer. Worked over Colt FCG.  Nothing really high end.  Definately wouldn't be afraid of using a Surplus Ammo barrel either at $129.95 in stock for parked Hbar less installed FSB.   Armalite clamp on is a pretty easy install for GI look with lug and irons.  Mine runs just as good as any AR I've had,  no FTF in a tad over 600 rds to date.  M-4 style  feed ramps and a M-16 hammer spring seem to work well.  

Pretty consistent 2in groups at 100 yds with Wolf 123 gr regardless of rds fired.  Worked up some loads for it but haven't seen where they are really any better,  just cost more and they aren't FMJ.  Haven't seen any signs of abnormal wear which I have seen with some 16" carbine systems over the years.  Everything internally looks just as installed.  I run it wet and all who have shot it really liked it a bunch.  A little more thump than a 5.56 and works for AR platform hunting pretty cheap.  

For retro look you're gonna probably have to turn down a 20" Hbar.  M-4 barrel with retro receiver would work for 650ish carbine build but I'd work the feed ramps a bit personally and the mag is gonna kill the retro look unless you use low capacity style. Tex build above was my inspiration and lots of 7.62x39 ammo on hand.  I'd say a great budget, legal AR platform hunting rifle for around here,  inside 200 yds without any or very little holdover.  Beyond that bullet is dropping pretty fast so possibly better caliber alternatives or non budget optics.

The YHM stuff is also very good but more coins.  I usually purchase YHM from JSE Surplus.  Can't think of lady's name (Gwen comes to mind) but she has always done me right.  Call or e-mail,  give them okay to access the coins and products usually show up  pretty quick even if out of stock on www.  Good luck!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top