Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2012 4:45:49 PM EDT
Another retrohead showed me this some time ago.
If you guys have any Sendra a1 sight wheels, you can knock them apart and put them together backwards for a blank wheel.

My first markings werent that straight.. I need a 1/8 inch letter punch set to make it right.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
and your arrow needs a bit of a curve to it....like this
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I need a 601 repro wheel.  HnB doesn't have any at the moment.  Anybody have a spare?

Also, someone want to take the lead on making "<-- L" prototype wheels?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What would you guys say if I told you the prototypes were marked with a "L" and a clockwise arrow (not a counterclockwise arrow)?

John Thomas

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would you guys say if I told you the prototypes were marked with a "L" and a clockwise arrow (not a counterclockwise arrow)?

John Thomas

John, according to TBR (page 69) rifles #00002 and 00003 had counterclockwise arrows

eta: I don't know if you consider them prototypes though
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

John Thomas

So, it would have to be threaded the opposite direction!!!!!
RBRD is a serious disease
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

John, according to TBR (page 69) rifles #00002 and 00003 had counterclockwise arrows

That is what the book says, but with my own eyes, I can confirm 000004 has a "L" with a clockwise arrow.  I don't know if the peep sight and screw are reverse threaded or if it is a mistake in design, but I guarantee you with 100% certainty that's the way it is.

As a side note... I've studied that picture of 000003 on page 69 of "The Black Rifle" with a magnifying glass, and you'll never convince me that sight wheel in the book is marked at all.

John Thomas

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 4:41:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but... If the R arrow points clockwise to move the sight right when turned that way; then if turned anticlockwise it would move the sight left. The thread is the same, just marked with the opposite notation. No?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:00:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but... If the R arrow points clockwise to move the sight right when turned that way; then if turned anticlockwise it would move the sight left. The thread is the same, just marked with the opposite notation. No?

Therein lies the mystery... the 601s are marked with a "R"; the prototypes (at least 000004) is marked with a "L"; BUT... the arrows on both point clockwise.

John Thomas

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:19:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what the book says, but with my own eyes, I can confirm 000004 has a "L" with a clockwise arrow.  I don't know if the peep sight and screw are reverse threaded or if it is a mistake in design, but I guarantee you with 100% certainty that's the way it is.

As a side note... I've studied that picture of 000003 on page 69 of "The Black Rifle" with a magnifying glass, and you'll never convince me that sight wheel in the book is marked at all.

John Thomas

John, do you have any pics of this that I can add to the collection?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#11]

John, do you have any pics of this that I can add to the collection?

I have a crystal-clear, close-up picture, but I'm not at liberty to post it.  

As adjusted, the "L" is at the 7-8 o'clock position and the clockwise arrow is at the 9-10 o'clock position.  The arrow is the same style as used on the 601s.  

If you look at the picture crackedcornish posted above of the 601 wheel, just change the "R" to a "L" and that's what it is.

John Thomas

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:59:13 AM EDT
[#12]
He's right, the one at Aberdeen is the same deal. L with a clockwise arrow.

Here's the picture posted back in 07 in The Real Deal Thread. You can tell it's an original upper modified with a triangular charging handle because, you can see the little nub from the trigger charger at the front.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#13]
OK, I've had coffee; but maybe somebody in the prototype shop didn't
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top