Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2012 12:41:12 PM EDT
Hi all,

I acquired a Japan made 4X20 Colt scope. It's a little beat up,but optics are in great shape. I know adjustments are made by removing the top and right side adjustment covers,but how do you remove them? I downloaded the 3X20 manual,but it didn't seem to give specific,idiot-proof instructions. Thanks for any help!

Denny R
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The covers are removed by unscrewing them counterclockwise.

John Thomas
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, at least that's how mine is.  They have a slot for a straight edged screw driver.  Or flat screwdriver.  Whatever they're called.

I don't know who made mine, and it's a 4x carry handle scope.  But it works.  Has terrible eye relief though.  You gotta be close and there's not much wiggle room.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Elevation one came off OK. Lots of dirt in there. Cleaned that out nice. The top one looks like a bear. The slot looks like it's shaped oddly? I'm guessing I've got to hold the bullet drop compensater knob while turning?

Thanks,

Denny R
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Aren't those made to use the base of a 5.56/.223 shell casing?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes you have to hold the elevation knob or it will spin with the cover.   And yes the adjustment "slots" fit a .223 case nicely.   It's actually easier with a case than a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Which carry handle mount are you using for that Colt 4x20?

I am looking for a similar setup.

I have heard LaRue carry handle mounts are good....but there are also cheap ones on Amazon that probably wouldn't hold zero.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#7]
OK got both covers off. The top one was a bear! Looks like I'll be spending Friday cleaning these knobs. They all do work though. I'm using just the integral carry handle mount
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh really....I was not aware the Colt scope had the mount as a part of itself.  Where did you get your scope, or do you know anywhere else that sells the same genuine Colt scopes?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:15:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Most come with a washer/swivel nut that you use to attatch to the handle. It's pretty much an EE auction type of thing to find one. Best of luck!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I was reading in another thread about a possible "group buy" of the Japan made scopes by the "new" company that changed names, but retained most of the original Hakko employees.

But then the "system" said a group buy had to be approved by AR15 staff....and then the thread was archived and no more posts!

Anyone know anything about if a group buy ever took place?  I think there was a 50 order minimum or something like that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's mine.  I forgot.  The windage just screws off by hand and is smaller.  The elevation turret turns, and marked for varying distances.  But the cap gets unscrewed at the top, and yeah, you have to hold onto it, or place it in the lowest setting I believe.  Actually, probably the highest setting.  (500)

I don't know what brand mine is.  It was bought with my Colt A2 20" which is kind of old, and I've since painted it, obviously.  But it was not a "colt" brand.  Some kind of knock off.  It still works though.  

I will say this, it moves around in my A2.  It didn't move as much in that removable carry handle pictured below.  And I once had it on an A1 and did a session with it benched. The scope was real tight and that thing shot really great.  I should've never got rid of it.  It was an SAK barrel and I was getting 2 MOA consistently with just about everything I put through it. 1/12.   I'll see if I can find pics of that.  

this was my Navy Seals poseur look.  Sorry!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top