Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 12:52:36 PM EDT
I'm looking at an SP1 and I'm trying to decide if it's worth the price. I'm pretty sure it's not totally stock. For instance, the bcg doesn't have the "C" mark.

I'm wondering if there's a resident SP1 carbine expert here who can help me with my questions. I have pics, but it's a pain in the ass to upload them here, so i thought I could email them to whoever can answer my questions.
The serial No. puts it as a 1978 manufacture.
I just don't know enough about retro guns to make an informed decision, although i really like the feel of this rifle.

Help!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't forget to check the parts breakdown on retroblackrifle.com.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Don't forget to check the parts breakdown on retroblackrifle.com.

I did. I do notice one of the salesman said the safety switch wasn't stock, but it looks exactly like the pics in retroblackrifle. That's why I'm hoping someone with a keen eye for this can help.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm no expert but did own two of that vintage so if nobody else steps up I'll try and help you.

How much are they asking for it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't know if I'd call myself an expert but send the pics and I can compare it to my from '76 if you want.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#5]
and there you go
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Emails sent.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not an expert, but I have one and have handled a few.  I see prices locally and on the gunboards going from around $1,000 to $1,200.
If it is worth it to you, I say go for it. I don't think it is going to lose value.
As for originality of all parts, I wouldn't be too concerned personally.  If the barrel looks good (probably later chrome bore), the 2 position buffer tube  is still stacked on and the original vinyl acetate stock is there, and the anodizing looks original, I don't think you can goo too badly hurt price wise.  I frankly swap out the BCG on my Colt SP1s because they started doing silly things with the BCG to keep folks from trying to go full auto.  Or at least, I guess they could tell the federal regulators that is what they were doing.  Dunno.

Hey, don't forget to post pics.  We like our pics around here!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am not an expert, but I have one and have handled a few.  I see prices locally and on the gunboards going from around $1,000 to $1,200.
If it is worth it to you, I say go for it. I don't think it is going to lose value.
As for originality of all parts, I wouldn't be too concerned personally.  If the barrel looks good (probably later chrome bore), the 2 position buffer tube  is still stacked on and the original vinyl acetate stock is there, and the anodizing looks original, I don't think you can goo too badly hurt price wise.  I frankly swap out the BCG on my Colt SP1s because they started doing silly things with the BCG to keep folks from trying to go full auto.  Or at least, I guess they could tell the federal regulators that is what they were doing.  Dunno.

Hey, don't forget to post pics.  We like our pics around here!

Thank you for the advice! I won't post pics because I'm not a member and it's a real PITA to do so. I can email them to you, if you like.
I am worried most about the BCG, I was wondering why the previous owner replaced it. Was it shot out? The barrel, as far as I could tell, looked bright and clean.

The salesman kept trying to talk me out of buying it, saying it would be better as a shooter than a collectible, maybe because of the BCG. He also kept trying to sell me their new ARs. I politely declined.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#9]
You might get some different advice here from the other members, but I think the BCG has very little to do with the carbine.  I would not correlate a shot out barrel with a replaced BCG.  The Colt SP1 BCG lacks a shroud over the firing pin and has a big notch cut out of it.  I don't think you will notice it in semi-auto fire, but all I am saying is that the original BCG is not the selling point for that carbine.  There are a hundred different reasons why a prior owner might have removed the original BCG.  Heck, maybe he was reading some internet posts from somebody like me and just decided to swap it out

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I got the pics and responded to you. I'll post up your pics later on if nobody else does but it has all the important parts there like the original stock, tube, lock ring etc. It has the wrong grip and hard to tell about the selector from the pic but those are cheap and easy fixes.

If the barrel is correct I say go for it. The bolt/carrier wouldn't stop me but I would use it as a bargaining point.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#11]
The white lettering is from someone using a wax pencil to make the markings stand out, very common if someone is trying to take pics.
Everything else looks correct on it except the pistol grip.
Can't say anything on the carrier since you don't have pics of it but the coloring on it looks correct anyway.
Stacking is in place on the stock so that has not been messed with.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks cool!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I see I was beat to the punch at posting the pics but as per our emails I would say they have done you a favor of pointing out that it's not all correct. It's a pawn shop so you know they don't have much into it...now go low-ball 'em!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Tell them you'll take it at the asking price if they'll throw in a few cases of that ammo in the background.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Welp, I couldn't resist - i bought that sucker! On layaway, anyway. I will now own a gen-you-wine Colt SP1!
This retro BRD - expensive!

And what kind of ammo can i shoot through it? Can I shoot 5.56?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#16]
5.56 is fine to shoot in it, you will get better results sticking with 55 grain with that barrel.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice! How much did you end up having to give for it...you know, since it wasn't all correct and that stuff?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Ahh putting guns on a layaway plan.........I so love Layaway......now explaining to the wife is a different story.  Congrats on the carbine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Let's just say I got it for under $1,300.

If the wife finds out, she'll use the damn carbine on me!

But there's something I've learned about guns: if you see a good deal. jump on it.
Before, I passed on a Russian Tiger Dragunov for the price of $900. They're worth over $2,000. I was so sure it wasn't the real deal, I went home and thought it over. It was the real deal, though. Too bad, because someone else grabbed it. Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Congrats on your new rifle.  Pics or it didn't happen!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Glad you were able to get it
When you get a chance posts pics of it and that carrier group
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
But there's something I've learned about guns: if you see a good deal. jump on it.

The only thing I regret more than not jumping is the ones I've sold.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Congrats on your new rifle.  Pics or it didn't happen!

Thanks, and some pics are posted above.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top