Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Sadly though it's not a horrible deal any more. Prices have crept up on them and supply seems to have dried up a bunch so if you need one to complete a build  and aren't a patient person it could be worse.

If they're early port doors it's even less of a stretch.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Apex is pretty good for FAL parts.
They have a good reputation on the FALfiles.
I always add some extra stuff to the order to make the shipping cost more tolerable.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Apex reads these pages....let's let em' know it's not a good deal.

ETA:  Neither is the price for a used bolt or a FH.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been through over a hundred over the years, including some from Apex.  I've never paid that much for one, regardless of condition.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
They've bumped up the prices on their AR parts.

I believe those were $150 fairly recently.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, I hadn't looked at their AR stuff in a long time. Those prices are crazy!
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#8]
See they listed buffer tubes as well but for 40 bucks this time last time i ordered I recall paying 25
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey I posted their parts when they first placed an ad in SGN right after I bought what I wanted.  Complete barrel nut/slip ring assemblies were $12.50 and BCG's were $125ish.  Gas tubes couldn't have come from the kits as the one's I received were the worse condition I've ever seen even in  FA M-16's. The rest of the parts were just like the kits from Century in very nice condition but originally reasonably priced.  

I'd say one would want parts pretty bad to buy from Apex today.  Seems they did the typical throw the dog a bone pricing to gather a few customers and then started hammering them without any lube.  Guess it's the American way and they probably have a little overhead.  I believe I went the Copes Distributing route on the upper for around $140 shipped.  Still have one left.  Apex was the cheapest for individual parts for a couple months.  Henderson Defense was the best on the kits and bayos.  Kinda kick myself for not buying more but what I have for spares should easily last the rest of my lifetime shooting AR's.  Wish I'd have bought a couple more buffer tubes when they were $18ea.

Is funny that originally we bought retro before it was even called retro so we could build fairly accurate semi auto LW rifles for less than $500.  Now one is gonna have that just in a surplus upper complete or lots more for something early.  Doesn't really make sense but neither does paying $500 plus to build a semi auto Uzi.  Been dealing guns for 40 years and have always been a little shocked at the market trends especially in the last 20 years.  If someone had told me an SKS would bring $250 25 years ago I'd still be sitting on a few hundred.  I still say they were the best $50 rifles I've ever seen in the USA and I bought a couple sniper Swedes for $40ea. Yes a turned down bolt will cost more today shipped than I paid for both the hand select rifles.  Hey it costs to play!  Bust open Mr Piggy!
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#10]
In my lifetime I remember seeing cheap 1911s, M1 carbines, SKS, and I'm sure others. Now most of them are way overpriced...makes me want to buy a crate of Mosins just in case history repeats itself
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#11]
In my lifetime I remember seeing cheap 1911s, M1 carbines, SKS, and I'm sure others

I may be able to dig up an old Sears Wishbook from the early 70's. It had all the Sporting rifles and shotguns in it.   I do remember new Universal M-1 carbines for $119 and Ruger mini 30 for less than $200 not to mention the Rem 1100 I bought NIB which I still have box and receipt from Best Products in 1973 with vent rib barrel for $179.95.  Buddy still has a Ruger stainless .mini-14 223 ranch rifle he bought for $189.95 because they were getting ready to raise price to $209.95.  True stories!

Until newest SGN issue I didn't know Westinghouse made Mosins right here in America.  Wonder how many I shot over the years.  They made over a million of them.   Never really was a Mosin fan after shooting the Gustafs Swedes and those $40 sniper rifles that I still have are worth considerably more than $40ea.  I'm also looking at a couple octagonal Mosins, one has a 1 stamped on the front sight with tappings and the other has a 2 stamp.  Think they cost $49ea at Roses.  They are alright but not in the same league as a Swede for accuracy.  They do have much more kick and knock down power.  Kinda wish I had back all the 1903's that I hacked up and made hunting rifles out of.  Will say they were more accurate when I was done with them than they were as purchased.  Most the barrels were trashed by GI's from cleaning.

The military rifles as a whole have done very well for investment which is more than one can say for most everything else collectible in the least 5-10 years.  Just don't think purchased at todays pricing,  many are a good investment.  Condition being the key!  I'm kinda waiting for the new ban proposals that are coming early in the New Year.  Doesn't look good for the assalt rifle owner.  To me they aren't worth much if I can't shoot them without possibly losing them but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Is kinda funny that many vendors don't have any barrels right here at Black Friday..  Wondering if they know threaded barrels and bayo lugs could again probably be a big No No? Grapevine also says ban will be permanent this go around.  Those Libs and Dems are learning from their mistakes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone know for sure if the ejector port dust cover is correct? If so, I might just get one to save the hassle of tracking one down myself.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:45:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Im not sure if the port doors are correct, maybe try contacting them.

I have a few old adds may find interesting. not meant to hijack thread.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#14]
JM, anything else you want to torture us with?  

I remember deals and from not that long ago too. Those AR uppers from Apex did jump about $30 since I last checked. So did all their other stuff apparently too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Apex has raised their prices considerably since those parts first started to hit the market.  Now the prices aren't a good place to source retro parts anymore.  

The bolt carrier is now $45 to $55 more than before and you can buy a complete M16 style BCG for almost as much as their bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:09:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Talk about retro ads and prices. That's NOT retro. Retro is me remembering working for 2.35 an hour, and busting my arse waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I do now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In my lifetime I remember seeing cheap 1911s, M1 carbines, SKS, and I'm sure others. Now most of them are way overpriced...makes me want to buy a crate of Mosins just in case history repeats itself

I've been buying antique M39's from Pat Burns whenever I have a few extra bucks.  Figure it will put my kids through college...
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I remember deals and from not that long ago too. Those AR uppers from Apex did jump about $30 since I last checked. So did all their other stuff apparently too.

If you want torture.....

You may not want to look at this one.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone know for sure if the ejector port dust cover is correct? If so, I might just get one to save the hassle of tracking one down myself.

It's been awhile but if memory serves someone said they are A2 port doors.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Must have struck a nerve, guys.

"Product not found!"
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want torture.....

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg415/jm0502/1310922620499.jpg

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg415/jm0502/1310931501841.jpg

You may not want to look at this one.

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg415/jm0502/1310935398221.jpg

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Had a boss who was an officer in VN in mid 60's who said he saw two truck loads of crated Thompsons and never knew what happened to them.  One minute they were there and the next they were gone.  Said they didn't get any of them.  Now we know!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#23]
My grandfather was a MP in WWII, He drove around a General here in the states. One day they went to a warehouse that was full of captured WWI arms. He was given a crate of never issued Mauser's. Unfortunately he sold all of them but one. My uncle still has it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Must have struck a nerve, guys.

"Product not found!"

Welp, that sucks. They were in stock this morning.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe they're raising the price
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Maybe they're raising the price

Don't give them any ideas!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe they took down the listing so they can sell the uppers stripped.

(and jack up the price again)
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:28:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Inadvertently found out iam getting one of these for Christmas. Had this thread and the apex link open when the girlfriend walked in the room.

Her very emotional "Did you just buy that?!!" pretty much gave it away. She spilled the beans shortly after.

Xm177E2 build upcoming. ;)
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:06:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Inadvertently found out iam getting one of these for Christmas. Had this thread and the apex link open when the girlfriend walked in the room.

Her very emotional "Did you just buy that?!!" pretty much gave it away. She spilled the beans shortly after.

Sounds like you have a good woman there.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

She deserves a big hug!
Can't wait to see the build!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:27:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Maybe they took down the listing so they can sell the uppers stripped.

(and jack up the price again)

You guys might regret talking about how much you want those small pad ejection port doors...  

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top