Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2012 12:09:58 AM EDT
I ordered a superlight barrel and slipover flash hider from BM  last february and I have still not heard any word from them. Has anyone else had this experience? I am going to be in Korea until next October so time is not a issue, but I'm starting to get concerned that it has been almost a year with no word. For those of you who have gotten barrels from Bushmaster, what was the wait time like?

Update- I just got an email from BM saying my superlight barrel has shipped and should arrive by the 17th. I ordered it Feb 19 so it has been about a 10 month wait. At least its one part closer to my xm177 build! Now I just have to wait until next October to make it back home.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:48:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I cancelled my order for the same barrel after 9 mths of "No Word"
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:10:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a guess, but I'd bet you're SOL. Getting parts from ANY major manufacturer has been like pulling teeth for a long time and is likely impossible for the foreseeable future. They're using everything they've got on hand to get complete weapons out the door.

Have you tried a barrel maker - like Wilson? (I THINK they made the lightweight barrel I put on my wife's Carbon-15. I'll try to look and get back on that.)

In any event - good luck, bro!
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have had a Superlight barrel on order since August 2011. Tic toc tic toc......
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
JT Distributing/Doublestar has a awesome 16" LW they sell at Brownell's. When it was "out of stock" at Brownell's I called JT directly and the guy on the phone walked out to the warehouse and made sure they had it and then sold it to me for the Brownells LEO price. The one I ordered was the 11.5" LW with the Chrome lined bore and chamber. Another thing about the JT is its closer to the original in that its .625 under the gas block where the Bushy is .750 then stepped down to the LW profile to the FH. The '
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I put a JT 14.5" on my Izzy clone and it's been a damn fine barrel.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Too bad about Bushmaster.  I really like the BM superlights.  They used to come really fast too, with great customer service, buit I haven't ordered one since 2008.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#7]
are you guys ordering the threaded/bayo lugged or non threaded/non lugged version?

sometimes they have a backlog on orders for the threaded version, while unthreaded barrels are just sitting on the shelves.

the last time I ordered a carbine barrel (2010), people were saying it was taking months to get the threaded ones. I got my non threaded barrel in 4 days after my order was placed

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Heres a visual reference for what Bayer was saying about the Bushmaster being .750 under the sight base
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Heres a visual reference for what Bayer was saying about the Bushmaster being .750 under the sight basehttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/gordog_2006/6532.jpg

this is the model that should be used for a retro carbine build that is getting a moderator installed:

16" Bushmaster SuperLight Barrel Assembly
The lightest 16" barrel we've ever offered - tapers from .670" to .565" under handguards, .625" under sightbase, and to .570" at the muzzle - similar to the original Vietnam era A1 barrel profile. Assembly includes Bayonet Lug, Threaded Muzzle, A2 Birdcage Flash Suppressor, Handguards, Gas Tube, and Delta Ring Kit.

NOTE: due to diameter at muzzle, no "slip-on/pinned" type muzzle brakes will fit this barrel. Use only 1/2"x 28 T.p.I. threaded accessories.

Options: Assembly w/ Lug, Assembly w/o Lug, Barrel w/Lug, Barrel w/o Lug
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Like Cornish said, the SuperLite barrels are thin under the FSB.  This one started out as a SuperLite:

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I have nothing good to say about Bushmaster customer service.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered a barrel from them four years ago and it took about 4 months or more back then. My general impression is that it has never improved, and gradually the wait time has lengthened. There used to be a couple of people in their customer service department that you could call and get an ETA from. I would do that as long as you have waited. But there are other sources for lightweight barrels. If this is only a 16" that you are interested in, there are some others like Daniel Defense available.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:18:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Bushmaster customer service backlog:

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I asked Bushmaster about the wait time on their barrels and was told at least 10 months or more.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:41:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I ordered one of the superlites from bushmaster in early 2010 and got it in a week or so.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:47:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Bushmaster also abandoned their plant in Mass. and moved the operation to NY. They put a lot of good people out of work. Those folks got together and formedd Wyndham Arms. I would be much more likely to buy something from them than Bushmeister these days. In fact, this post made me wonder if anyone has asked them about ltwt barrels? Seems they'd be the perfect company to build some retro barrels for us.

ETA: FWIW I just looked at their website and didn't see any ltwt barrels, and they have a backlog on what they do have. I got my last ltwt barrel (middy) from PSA and it was damn nice. I'd buy one again...when I'm back at work of course. Unemployment sucks - even for a little while.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Called BM on Wednesday and they said 8 weeks on the superlite barrels... So who knows
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#19]
FWIW I ordered a DD LightWeight from Primary Arms... It's a little more $$ but it is CHF and 1/7 twist.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Called BM on Wednesday and they said 8 weeks on the superlite barrels... So who knows

During the 2008 scramble I called and asked how long and was told "about a month".

I called back in a month and was told "about a month".

I did this for seven months.

They don't know and will lie to get you off the phone.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

During the 2008 scramble I called and asked how long and was told "about a month".

Prolly shouldn't buy from these Bozos.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Cerberus Capital Management aka Freedom Group hasn't been the best move for the AR community.  Might have been good for the profit side of business.  BM once considered as top notch hasn't been that way in some time.  I gave up on them in 2009 after being direct on a decent deal for over 10 years and I'd say at that point they knew they were moving into the Remington plant or the writing was on the wall.  

Windham Weaponry on the other hand is really the original BM from the Quality Parts days and even bought back much of their original machinery for pennies on the buck and re-hired most all of the BM employees.  Many had worked there for over 25 yrs and were nothing but crapped on by the Freedon Group.  Windham owner Dick Dyke gets nothing but praise in the AR community but he's no longer a spring chicken either.    I'm also waiting for them to re-introduct a superlite barrel assembly but they possibly never will.  Their product is good but I doubt they will ever regain the market share they once possessed.

Lot of good lw barrel options out there.  My J&T non chrome does shoot better than all my chrome lined pieces.  Same 1-9 twist and cost was tit for tat.  Chrome lined J&T and BM basically shoot the same but my nod would be the J&T by a smidge.  Colt 6520 is best of the chrome lined.  Never tried a DD or PSA to date but they offer the faster twist rates probably a little more desireable today and I'd guess performance is very similar to the Colt.  Four lw carbines is enough for me.  If I sell one,  possibly I'd build a middy to replace it but I kinda doubt it.  All mine are 16" and work fine for me,  never a problem and my favorite is which one I'm shooting.  Don't know about cutting them down as I always used Hbars for XM177 clone builds and never really cared much for them.  Back then they looked cool and that was about it.  SBR's have come a very long way in the last 5 years though.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#23]
"So I ordered a siperlight barrel from Bushmaster...."

Sounds like the beginning of a good gun joke.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 3:54:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also asked about the 11.5 with 5.5 perm attached flash hider and there was no ETA... That must mean they quit making them lol

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top