And a easy way to see what you are missing. And it's compatible
For non retro rifles .

The long section at the bottom is for a barrel, but I don't have one yet
Here is the site link , if somebody could make it active I'd appreciate it
Wwww.Ar15 buildbox.com

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
he's definitely catering the right crowd.  it's us retro guys that have many builds going on, especially those doing early builds waiting for the correct parts to come up.

www.Ar15buildbox.com

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link won't open ,,,for me anyway.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Each box should include one takedown detent to get the build started...
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Might want to black out your address on the box.... just sayin' !

Cool idea though!
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#6]
My habit turned into a widget:

I've been holding out for just the right parts for years on these things now.  I came across this sub forum while I was overseas back in 2008 I think, looking at all the build guides for modifying A2 profile lowers into A1-ish lowers, and Retroblackrifle as a resource.

My hunger for an authentic XM177E2 was rekindled from childhood, and then I saw the 605.  My life was changed significantly as to my AR projects, in addition to all the modern types.  There are quite a few surplus parts in the pics from members of this forum.  Thanks!

Slip ring from Texsquirrel in there somewhere
Vinyl Acetate repro aluminum telestock from Boywonder777
NDS-16A1 lower from NoDak
NDS-XM16E1 from NoDak
Custom 605B 80% from Braceman
Mottled pistol grips from Boywonder777
4.5" Repro Moderator & Grenade Ring from Brick
601 Chrome Bolt carrier from Boywonder777
Ejection Port Covers from different sources on the EE

The boxes also make a great way to protect my projects when I send them for gunsmith work.  Brace and John Thomas, I've got stuff headed your way.  One of these will soon start with a prototype FSB, then hopefully some NoDak prototype receivers!
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 3:25:51 AM EDT
[#7]

I need... like twelve.  

Great little idea there, most of my parts are in various rubbermaids and tupperware drawers - I figure since I'm not a "fit and finish" type, not only am I building authentic configurations, I'm getting "authentic parts box wear!"  

This might make it a bit easier to keep track of everything, though!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 3:37:56 AM EDT
[#8]
What goes in the empty spot behind the PG ??
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was going to ask this as well. I'm guessing front handguard cap.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I need... like twelve.

That's exactly the same box I found myself in....I'm still trying to figure out how many I need.  One thing that helps me keep track of the projects inside is labeling the boxes on the outside, so when I stack them sideways, I can see which is which...no more rabbit hole digging through bubble wrap, Tupperware, & meat-packing paper.

I was going to ask this as well. I'm guessing front handguard cap.

I made it for the low-profile and non-FSB type gas blocks for modern builds, but I did see that the handguard cap does in fact fit in there well too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Well that's kinda neat.  Hopefully I won't be needing any.  Ya'll really beat your parts all up?  One could buy a lotta Rubbermaid for $20 at the Good Will Store.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Nothing Garand size? I've got like... 5 going on right now...
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#13]
There are other Build Boxes in the works.  

AR10

I'm also looking at Mauser action based bolt guns.  How many people do you think are building Garands from the ground up?
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Wish they were available when I started all my builds.

Another thing to consider is making shipping boxes for AR15s.
A rifle and a carbine model would be awesome.
Maybe broken down.
It would be great for people shipping rifles.
...but then I bet you'll get requests for other rifles.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#15]
That's actually the next AR15 sku, a broken-down template for upper and lower receiver groups.

Hopefully yours arrives today.

There are new AR15 owners born every minute.

I was only able to keep the size down on this first sku by having all the upper parts in their individual slots, also allowing for up to a 21" barrel without flash hider attached.

That keeps the box size down to 24" length.

The disassembled upper & lower box will have to be longer than 24" just to fit a 16" carbine, unless you do 5 layers of foam, which will make the box cost-prohibitive.

An assembled rifle upper will be a pretty large box.  The current sku handles everything from a pistol build, up to our prototype projects.

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#16]
whats wrong with my underwear drawer/?
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 12:21:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Certainly neater than my banker's box with "M16 PROJECT" on the side.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How many people do you think are building Garands from the ground up?

Hmmmm.......good question.  I happened to find myself passing thru Anniston this morning, and ran thru the CMP store on speculation.  Sometimes they put stuff out they only have a few of and you can get lucky.  Anyway, they had quite a few barreled actions that included a head-spaced bolt in the rack.  Nothing else in the assembly, just a receiver with a barrel and a headspaced bolt.

There were several people going thru them with lust in their heart, and in the short time I was there, two were purchased.  Not bad for a Wednesday morning, wot?

Overheard one of the staff telling a customer that they would have International Harvesters available in January.  He did not say, nor did I ask, how many, how much, or what grades they might have available.  But I would speculate the answers would be not many, too much, and very few service grade.  Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:52:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's hilarious right there.  I guess you could slowly convert your skivvies into weapons rags...could make for interesting conversations at the work bench, or better yet, the laundry mat.

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Man these build boxes sure would have been better than the plastic bags I used when building most of my retros.
My previously built retro rifles are gonna get jealous when they see my current project get babied by my build box!
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I just received my build box today and am very pleased with it for my battlefield pickup 604 build I'm working on. I'll post  pics later but I wish I would have had these when I was doing more builds as it makes a quick and easy way to store parts together for a build as you search out the elusive last correct parts.

Most of my builds are more retro inspired rather than correct but the 604 I'm going all out for so it's taking a bit longer.

I would have had a stack of them labeled on the outside end and stacked up. I'm going to make a little check list of parts that I need yet so I can see what I need as far as small parts without having to dig through the little stuff.

Thanks LRRP, I'm liking it a lot!

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the feedback.  One cool thing you can do is write with a black marker on the outside, or use adhesive labels.  Once you finish that project, you can slap another over it for the next one, on the side that is visible.

I'm also including printed lower receiver parts diagrams with labeled parts, and an AR15 core frame diagram, looking for feedback on some of these ideas from customers.

Were they helpful?

Do you just ignore it and drive on with what you want to do anyway?

Does the new builder find it useful?
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just received my build box today and am very pleased with it for my battlefield pickup 604 build I'm working on.

Hmmm, perhaps he needs to make one with the insert cut out of steel wool & sandpaper.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So true!
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Badass idea!
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#26]
No problem, I was going to shoot you an IM tonight to let you know I got it but I see you posted here. I'll give you a few of my ideas but overall I like it.

I tend to hoard things a bit so will probably have this box in my possesion for a long time even though I swore I am done building after these! I'm thinking that on the inside lid I am going to put a clear plastic sleeve in which I can insert a list of parts that I need yet and what I need to send off for machine work, etc. I figure then I can slide it out, check the box and know at a glance what I still need to find or get done. Once that build is complete I can slide it out and slide in the next one.

I really feel that these are made for us retro guys in that it can often take a long time to gather up the right parts. I feel that many of the modern builds will go much faster as people aren't trying to track down the ultra rare part. They would be a nice way for manufacturers to ship out kits to folks though too.

On the idea of the retro guys, I'm not sure how easy it would be to add room for retro accessories like slings, bayos, mags. I know that it would make the box a little larger and don't know if the demand would be there or not.

I did like how easy the foam was to cut as well. Sorry for lack of pics but photobucket is down right now but when I punched out the foam for the bolt and dropped it in there I felt it set a little low. No problem, a quick trim with a bread knife and the foam was the right depth for me with a nice clean and easy cut.

As for the diagram I pretty much ignored it but I think perhaps it was because I have a decent knowledge base of the AR platform. Perhaps if I was new to it I would have found it more useful. The parts diagram might be helpful for folks trying to identify small parts when building a lower but I think is limited use in gathering parts as most people will just buy a complete LPK.

Anyway, it's a great product and I love that it allows me to keep everything organized as opposed to spread out in multiple boxes and then I know what I need yet. Thanks again and good luck with it!

Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback.  One cool thing you can do is write with a black marker on the outside, or use adhesive labels.  Once you finish that project, you can slap another over it for the next one, on the side that is visible.

I'm also including printed lower receiver parts diagrams with labeled parts, and an AR15 core frame diagram, looking for feedback on some of these ideas from customers.

Were they helpful?

Do you just ignore it and drive on with what you want to do anyway?

Does the new builder find it useful?

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 3:45:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Just ordered one this morning.  Any idea how the foam holds up to gun oils over time?

I like to keep everything steel dripping wet with Ballistol while it's stored.  Wondering if I should line the cells with plastic.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:47:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I like the plastic sleeve idea.
Maybe with a generic parts list with a check box.
I have something similar for all my builds in Excel.
I also keep up with prices so I know how much I've spent and how much I need to spend(estimate) in order to complete my project.
Then at a glance I can see, hey, if I put this $xxx.xx I have saved up on my 60x project I can finish it.
I prefer finished projects to multiple unfinished projects.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#29]
My 1918 Colt 1911 I am doing is in a merrell box with everything packaged and labelled but I think I might do something like this for my builds. hmmm I think I have 5 going on right now ha

Colt 629
MK12 Mod 0
SBR
Dissy
Zombie build

Dear lord! idk when ever Ill get to finishing all of these
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My 1918 Colt 1911 I am doing is in a merrell box with everything packaged and labelled but I think I might do something like this for my builds. hmmm I think I have 5 going on right now ha

Colt 629
MK12 Mod 0
SBR
Dissy
Zombie build

Dear lord! idk when ever Ill get to finishing all of these

You never finish, you'll just start more. And when you're done with ARs,
There is always AKs, fal, galils,,,,,,,,,,
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#31]
As I was thinking about how the builder would place any printed or paper products in the box, I leaned towards the clear binder sleeve idea as well, figuring people will place it there themselves, and be able to decide if they will just set it in the box, then take it to the bench as they work on the build.

I do the exact same thing with the bolt carrier slot, buffer slot, and barrel slot:  cut the insert piece in a layered half, then put it back in to form a shelf.  I think this is important if you are going to ship a barrel off to have a smith do work for you, as the barrel will be held tightly between the layers.  You can also customize the length of the barrel assembly insert to your needs, and cut off the FSB area, then place it back in if you like.

For any build, it offers those of us who like to budget the project out over time, or those who are stuck with the market being what it is with major back-orders.  It sure beats explaining $1000+ purchases to my wife when I walk through the door or the brown Santa Sleigh drops off something large!  Of course, my wife is 100% supportive of keeping our family protected, so I have it a little easier than some scenarios I have seen...

Man tries to sneak in the door with new AR15.

"Is that you?"....silence

"Did you buy something!"...head droops in shame, tail tucked in.

"Was it over a hundred dollars?"...uhhhhhh

That rarely works out well, unless you can afford to drop coin like that without affecting your family or personal budget much.  When I was a single Staff Sergeant, I was buying blasters almost every month, with a heavy ammo budget so we could train more on the weekends.

As for oil on the foam, I've seen a guy in the Build It Yourself sub forum use Plasti-Dip on his custom cut foam inserts for Pelican cases, but he said you need to start out with a very light coat, because the Plasti-Dip will attack the foam.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Here's the pic of my box for now. Yes, it's missing some key pieces and some that are there are just wrong but they are a place holder.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#33]
If you cut the barrel assembly slot foam piece in half as a layer, you can use it as a shelf to hold the barrel up higher, rather than being buried so far down in the box.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#34]
For anyone in the area, I will be at the Crossroads of the West Gun Show at the Southtowne Expo center in Sandy, UT this weekend.  This will be my first time running a booth at a Gun Show, although I have done SHOT when working for another company.

Please come by and see us.  I have found Type D stocks, early pistol grips, and a complete SP-1 Carbine upper at the last few gun shows I have attended there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Build Box arrived today,I can see where some of you would cut the inserts to fit.
Box is plenty deep with lots of room.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#36]
The good news too is that the foam cuts easily and cleanly so it's not bad to do.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Glad to see you got it.  The instructions go over how to make shelves for the slots if you want to, which is what I did with mine.  I like the electric carving knife for that, or some have used a band saw.

The upper & lower receiver group areas don't need it, but I really prefer it for the BCG, buffer, barrel nut/slip ring/weld spring/snap ring hole, the barrel assembly slot, and the LPK slot.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top