Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2012 7:37:33 PM EDT
Just getting ready for bed - John Carpenter's 'The Thing' (which was a remake, that was recently remade again) 1982 - in the first 1/2 hour Mack (Kurt Russell) flies Doc (Sorry, don't know his name but has had a million roles) to check out the Norwegian camp. When Kurt Russell gets out of the chopper he's carrying a Stevens. Sorry, no screen shots, but my friend Rick taught geology and worked in other capacities at the high camp where this was filmed, on a Glacier somewhere between Alaska and BC. The sign in the opening sequence is still up there. Just thought you guys might find it cool. This is a retro movie BTW - a real hoot, and one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I like that movie, too.  Next time I have it on, I'll have to watch for the Stevens.  Something very unusual about that movie is there are no women in it.

John Thomas
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Wilford Brimley
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty sure Mac was using an Ithaca.

I'm certain he had an Ithaca in the American base.

Eta:
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/The_Thing

I love the movie, BTW. It's one of my yearlies. I remember watching for the first time with my dad when I was about 10.

We went to see the prequel in theatres.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Great cast. Doc was Richard Dysart
I just watched it on AMC this past weekend. One of those flicks that's good to watch on a snow day.

"We went to see the prequel in theatres."  -  Never really heard if this was any good.

Oh, yeah, and it does appear to be a Stevens 77. Didn't catch what else was in the weapons cabinet, need to watch in Blu-Ray
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Ithaca Model 37

ETA:

From IMDB Movie Guns Database.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:43:59 AM EDT
[#6]
By golly you're right - I had to crash so just saw the beginning - all I was looking at was the front of the pump. Ithacas are very distinctive due to the bottom ejection. Wow - when I'm wrong, I'm sure wrong!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:22:18 AM EDT
[#7]
No worries.  I love Ithaca's for the bottom ejection too!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
By golly you're right - I had to crash so just saw the beginning - all I was looking at was the front of the pump. Ithacas are very distinctive due to the bottom ejection. Wow - when I'm wrong, I'm sure wrong!

You just wanted it to be a Stevens.

Ithaca is retro, too!

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Made me go back and look at the RGWG thread. Texasrifleman -That was an 870 you had with the wood?

Fantastic black &white pic you put up!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, the latest pics were with an 870.

I have an Ithaca, but I got it with a plastic stock. Still looking for a wood buttstock.

I have a Savage 67, but it's missing parts.

Which b&w photo?

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Michael Douglas uses a sawed off Savage/Stevens in Black Rain.  IMFDB says it's a Stevens 67 but with the extended magazine I'd say it's more likely a Savage 69RXL.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#12]
This one.

I thought at first one of the women in your pics had just put on a head scarf then I focused on the LIFE magazine emblem.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I gotcha.

It's actually from this thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/555013_When_it_was_new__1963.html

But he never reposted the pics.

This thread made me get out my Ithaca 37. And I'm searching for a wood buttstock now.

Oh, RBRD, when will you end?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:40:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This one.

I thought at first one of the women in your pics had just put on a head scarf then I focused on the LIFE magazine emblem.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af342/cruciantime/ff8f1fe1.jpg

Babay, whats your name????
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This thread made me get out my Ithaca 37. And I'm searching for a wood buttstock now.

Oh, RBRD, when will you end?

I was actually looking around for a wood stock and forend for my Mossberg 500 the other day! Its not really something that falls into retro category but its all I have right now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I just made a wood stock today for my Ithaca. Because I couldn't find one for less than $100.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#17]
When I went out on disability retirement from the SO in 1998, I had three major "casualties": original Ithaca M&P Model 37  gray pakerized with heatshield and and bayonet lug, Colt SP1 Carbine, and Poly-Tech Type 56 AK with folding bayonet,  The misery of it!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top