Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2011 8:15:23 AM EDT
Hi guys,

Nothing new here, but I had my prototype out today, so I snapped a couple of photos.

John Thomas

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I just cant get enough of looking at that one. VERY nice John. Sure hope the Armalite prototype sight thing happens SOON.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Great pics. I luv prototypes and not the Tapco'd out tactical bullshit we normally see.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I love that one.I'm thinking seriously about doing some type of prototype.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Whoa! Wow! Thanks JT. The other day I was thinking about posting for a link to the old thread with this weapon. Awesome!
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just cant get enough of looking at that one. VERY nice John. Sure hope the Armalite prototype sight thing happens SOON.

+10

John,

With your gift at reproduction of bakelite-looking furniture, have you considered forming stocks into Type A format using a sander, then filling with plastifix, then doing the external finish in faux bakelite?

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#6]
+ 1  

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever" - [someone said that]  
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, JT, that looks great.  This is the inspiration for my next prototype build.
I am curious about two things:  First, the marking on the buttstock.  Does this signify something from a unit or rack number or a number that you just liked.  Second, is that an a1 or a2 buttstock?  Also, that prototype flash hider is the bee's knees. Very inspirational.  Keep it up!
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wow, JT, that looks great.  This is the inspiration for my next prototype build.
I am curious about two things:  First, the marking on the buttstock.  Does this signify something from a unit or rack number or a number that you just liked.  Second, is that an a1 or a2 buttstock?  Also, that prototype flash hider is the bee's knees. Very inspirational.  Keep it up!

Megaro,

The markings are ficticious, but the idea is to replicate a test rifle used in the "Small Caliber High Velocity" tests.  In case you never saw the original photos, here's a link, from the archives, with a little more detail:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/510846_Prototype_project_rifle_complete_.html

It is an A1 buttsock, I reprofiled a little.

John Thomas

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+10

John,

With your gift at reproduction of bakelite-looking furniture, have you considered forming stocks into Type A format using a sander, then filling with plastifix, then doing the external finish in faux bakelite?

I've done a couple of stocks this way, but it is cost (time) prohibitive.  To get the profile close to right, I have to get through the gelcoat and into the foam.  Which means I have to rebuild the area with resin and sand/profile/sand, etc.  For the time it takes, I can't do it and charge a reasonable price.  

John Thomas

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I love that rifle. In my 8 years on this site that is by far my favorite rifle. I am slowly collecting parts for one, but no where near as nice. Where did you get the flash suppressor?
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow that is AMAZING

Thanks for posting the link to the archive....I missed that thread

simply amazing.

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 4:11:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I forgot how good that looked!
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:13:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh, Yeah.  That is inspirational.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:52:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Ha.  That SCHV thing will never take off.  Evolutionary dead end.  Wood and steel is where it's at.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#15]
What does SCHV mean?
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What does SCHV mean?

small caliber high velocity
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top