Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/6/2011 7:09:50 AM EDT
i cant find em anywhere. not even gun things.... anyone havea line on em?
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Century bought a lot of them and used them in their c15a1 builds.

Saw a couple somewhere, maybe at apex gun parts
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The last two places that I saw had them, Sarco and Whatacountry, are sold out now.   I think the supply is done.  A co-worker has been trying to find one and now is just going to buy a Century C15a1.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Dies anybody know who made those "in the white" barrels and what specs they are?  I assume they had 5.56 chambers and 1/9 twist.  I am curious because I am profiling one for a prototype.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dies anybody know who made those "in the white" barrels and what specs they are?  I assume they had 5.56 chambers and 1/9 twist.  I am curious because I am profiling one for a prototype.

The one I used to build my 604 (the barrel was leftover from a Sarco A1 kit I used to build a 651) is a 1/9 twist, 5.56 chambered, non chrome lined, and made by Citadel.  Hope that helps.

ETA:  As far as finding a kit, I'm not sure if there are any left.  You may try Gunbroker or Auction Arms.  Maybe one will turn up there.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
OP you would come out cheaper just to buy these parts individually.Plenty of Colt barrels,uppers,BCG and stocks out their.Place a WTB ad.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

GunBroker Auction Offering

The kits came from rifles made after the Vietnam conflict ended.

"NOT FOR SALE IN AZ,CA,CT,DC,DE,FL,HI,IA,IL,MN,NC,NJ,OH,RI,SC,WA,WI, OMAHA,NE, OR SOUTH BEND IN."

Quite the list he's got there.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Dissagree on the barrels. It took me about two weeks to find a halfway decent barrel. All the new in wrap ones seem to be priced astronomically high, if you can find them. Someone needs to start producing them I think.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"NOT FOR SALE IN AZ,CA,CT,DC,DE,FL,HI,IA,IL,MN,NC,NJ,OH,RI,SC,WA,WI, OMAHA,NE, OR SOUTH BEND IN."

He charges a handling fee on top of the shipping as well, wasn't happy to see a $1.50 handling fee on top of $10 shipping.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does this guy have agaist Arizona ?

Link Posted: 11/6/2011 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or Florida?  AZ & FL are two of the most gun friendly states in union.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or Florida?  AZ & FL are two of the most gun friendly states in union.

I was wondering why FL was on his list.  We have no restrictions that I know of.  We don't even allow the local municipalities to usurp the very non restrictive state law.

Link Posted: 11/6/2011 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dissagree on the barrels. It took me about two weeks to find a halfway decent barrel. All the new in wrap ones seem to be priced astronomically high, if you can find them. Someone needs to start producing them I think.

2 weeks is a very short time to wait for a retro part.I have quite a few Colt A1 barrels that I'm not going to use.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With that list the seller does not want to sell it very bad.

As the others before me said about their state, there is nothing wrong with selling that to someone from IA.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#15]
He charges a handling fee on top of the shipping as well, wasn't happy to see a $1.50 handling fee on top of $10 shipping.

Would still say that's cheap.  Local PO is charging me $8.60 just to ship a stock west of the Mississippi River.  With sling,  mag and cleaning kit I'd say jump on it sell off the barrel for $125 and use the coins to buy a real 1-12 USGI barrel.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 4:06:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As the others before me said about their state, there is nothing wrong with selling that to someone from IA.

And yet NY isn't on the list??  
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Nor Massachusetts.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#18]
you can get a complete century rifle for +/- $640.

Then have another receiver and barrel to turn into another build, if you are going to swap parts anyways.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But Ohio is!   WTF  
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Check out Green Mountain Barrels for new production 1:12 twist Chrome lined A1 profile barrels at a decent price.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 8:31:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Check out Green Mountain Barrels for new production 1:12 twist Chrome lined A1 profile barrels at a decent price.

Except they don't have any of them for sale.  I have been trying to get one for a year and it is always "in a couple of months" but they never materialize.  

Link Posted: 11/7/2011 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except they don't have any of them for sale. I have been trying to get one for a year and it is always "in a couple of months" but they never materialize.

that sucks, I really haven't kept track of them since I got mine last year.

Link Posted: 11/7/2011 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But Ohio is!   WTF  

I asked him why no Florida.  His reply, "Thank you for contacting us. it is because the bolt in this kit is a full auto bolt and even though it only shoots in semi auto the state of FL does not allow you to have it."

If he means bolt carrier someone needs to tell Spike's Tactical in Apopka.  And the gun-show vendors...
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But Ohio is!   WTF  

I asked him why no Florida.  His reply, "Thank you for contacting us. it is because the bolt in this kit is a full auto bolt and even though it only shoots in semi auto the state of FL does not allow you to have it."

If he means bolt carrier someone needs to tell Spike's Tactical in Apopka.  And the gun-show vendors...

There is nothing in the FLA regs that prevents FA bolt carriers.  They are sold all over the state and many people have them.  I have one in every one of my AR-15s.  He simply has it wrong.  Florida subscribes to the ATF definition that a FA bolt carrier does not constitute a machine gun.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#25]
someone linky him this thread.

might help his business
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I sent them a E-mail today telling them that the great state of Arizona is the most Gun friendly state in our country and we have NO LAW prohibiting our ownership of this kit.

They sent a reply.

Thank you for contacting us :
Then telling me that they already told me once that they will not send me a kit becase I live in Florida and that they don't want to argue back and forth with me ?

They said they don't make the Laws they just obey them.

I never in my life sent them a E-Mail till today so I really don't know where they are coming from ?

They are a thoroughly confused band of people to say the least.

To bad I would of liked to receive a kit from them.
Alfred
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Alfred

Maybe someone else will be nice enough and willing to buy one for you.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alfred

Maybe someone else will be nice enough and willing to buy one for you.

Sshhhhh!  you know who may be listening....

Link Posted: 11/7/2011 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I too have looked at these kits off an on for awhile.  I eventually concluded that it was not money well spent for me because it is darn fun to collect all the details.  I would say if you really want the barrel and not have to search for the rest of the stuff, then yeah, pay a little more, get the kit, and get a NDS lower.  But I do not know about those barrels.  I think the three most important parts of a retro are the barrel, the trigger, and the magazine.  Make sure you are super comfortable with the material and twist of the barrel before buying.  The rest, in my opinion, is largely cosmetics, at least if you are looking at a rifle.  I also prefer to use new springs and buffer.  A1 furniture is plentiful.  Then you can decide on your bolt carrier group.

A trip to NDS, a surplus store like Apex, and you are most of the way there.  Except the barrel.  I think that is where you should spend the majority of your time and money making sure you get just the right one.  Just my two pennies.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But Ohio is!   WTF  

There is nothing in the FLA regs that prevents FA bolt carriers.  They are sold all over the state and many people have them.  I have one in every one of my AR-15s.  He simply has it wrong.  Florida subscribes to the ATF definition that a FA bolt carrier does not constitute a machine gun.

I just noticed that the magazine pictured is likely forbidden in NY and MA...
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I too have looked at these kits off an on for awhile.  I eventually concluded that it was not money well spent for me because it is darn fun to collect all the details.  I would say if you really want the barrel and not have to search for the rest of the stuff, then yeah, pay a little more, get the kit, and get a NDS lower.  But I do not know about those barrels.  I think the three most important parts of a retro are the barrel, the trigger, and the magazine.  Make sure you are super comfortable with the material and twist of the barrel before buying.  The rest, in my opinion, is largely cosmetics, at least if you are looking at a rifle.  I also prefer to use new springs and buffer.  A1 furniture is plentiful.  Then you can decide on your bolt carrier group.

A trip to NDS, a surplus store like Apex, and you are most of the way there.  Except the barrel.  I think that is where you should spend the majority of your time and money making sure you get just the right one.  Just my two pennies.

As usual, when you need a lower NDS is out of stock.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I sent an inquiry to "LG Outdoors" asking why Ohio is on the list, got a reply:

"State laws will not allow us to ship certain items to Ohio.
Customer Service
LG Outdoors"

WTF?? Sounds like their company policies made up law...

I emailed again asking: What is the Ohio state law that prohibits you to ship to this state?

Got the following reply:

Thank you for contacting us.

When we purchased the kits from Century International Arms, they sent us a list of restrictions of cities/states to which this item cannot be shipped (some of the parts are “full auto” parts). We posted those restrictions on our item description. We do not have time to read through the laws of each city/state on the restriction list to give the exact reason why it can’t be shipped; the manufacturer sent us those restrictions and we are just following them to keep us out of any legal problems.

If you need detailed information on the restrictions, please contact Century International Arms or contact your local BATF office.

Thanks,
J.T.
LG Outdoors Customer Service

So, anybody else got any left over kits laying around?  M203 was my choice during my VN tour..
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I sent an inquiry to "LG Outdoors" asking why Ohio is on the list, got a reply:

"State laws will not allow us to ship certain items to Ohio.
Customer Service
LG Outdoors"

WTF?? Sounds like their company policies made up law...

I emailed again asking: What is the Ohio state law that prohibits you to ship to this state?

Got the following reply:

Thank you for contacting us.

When we purchased the kits from Century International Arms, they sent us a list of restrictions of cities/states to which this item cannot be shipped (some of the parts are “full auto” parts). We posted those restrictions on our item description. We do not have time to read through the laws of each city/state on the restriction list to give the exact reason why it can’t be shipped; the manufacturer sent us those restrictions and we are just following them to keep us out of any legal problems.

If you need detailed information on the restrictions, please contact Century International Arms or contact your local BATF office.

Thanks,
J.T.
LG Outdoors Customer Service

So, anybody else got any left over kits laying around?  M203 was my choice during my VN tour..

Kind of funny Arizona is one of the most Gun Friendly states in our Union, No restrictions on these kits whatsoever, and Arizona is on their no sale list, but New York is one of the worse Gun friendly States out there and they will send a kit there, go figure ?

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Sad. There are about 17 states on that list.

I can just imagine this conversation going on right now (with a relative in a free state):

"Hey gramps, uncle, etc! How ya been? Say, a box will show up at your house in a few days. Would you please slap a label on it with my address and send it on to me? Thanks a million. Talk to you in another ten years!"
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Gunbroker ad is the same vendor I bought 2 kits last month. Barrels are in white, unpinned, correct (?) A1 profile but very smooth, marked with one letter M. I bought from his catalog online, same price.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Century International has these as "built rifles" saying:
Not available for sale in NJ, MA, CA CT, HI or where phohibited by law.

Sales must go thru an FFL.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Gunbroker ad is the same vendor I bought 2 kits last month. Barrels are in white, unpinned, correct (?) A1 profile but very smooth, marked with one letter M. I bought from his catalog online, same price.

Hognose, I got one too about a month ago. My magazine is very shiny and slick like there's no finish on it - is yours like that? I think the upper receiver looks very nice, it's dark gray. Wondering if you know how well they match the NDS lowers?
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#38]
cb7,

These parts are a bit darker than NDS parts. They are typical of 1970s dark grey colt parts, NDS has their stuff anodized to the 1960s-early 70s medium grey.

I thought the finish on the mags was a bit thin. I remember milspec mags as having some kind of applied finish over a layer of bronze-green-goldish anodize, these look like they don't have that underlayer. The kits are on a storage shelf in the workshop and the other mags are all in the gun vault on another floor, so I haven't put them side by side. The mag was a 30-round mag marked Colt on the floorplate and looked like it had been handled slightly A few of the parts of the one kit I examined appeared new, a couple had been fired and had very minor traces of carbon. I only examined one kit and opened another just to remove the barrel and handguards (too lazy to go upstairs where there's a pile of handguards).

I did not want to use these barrels so I bartered them off.

LG Outdoors shipped fast and shipping was reasonable IMHO. They are the only ones I know of who still have A1 kits. I think Sarco has some A2 kits still but A2's ain't retro.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#39]
We have an IM feature for a reason...VA-gunnut

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top