Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2011 5:37:26 PM EDT
Hi all, new to the forum but not the rifle.  I have a spare, slabside Colt SP1 lower.  Is there anyone around that is putting partial fences on slabside lowers?  I would like to use a front take down pin.  I have contacted a few companies about this but the word has always been that the risk of warping the receiver is too great.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi all, new to the forum but not the rifle.  I have a spare, slabside Colt SP1 lower.  Is there anyone around that is putting partial fences on slabside lowers?  I would like to use a front take down pin.  I have contacted a few companies about this but the word has always been that the risk of warping the receiver is too great.  Thanks!

so you're talking about getting material added that can be drilled for a spring/detent?  i don't imagine this could be easily done nor cheaply.

since you're not in a state with the awb still in effect, build it on a nodak spud partial fence lower.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#2]
no, and even if they did you still couldn't use a .250" takedown pin.
and let me be the first to offer a trade for a new lower of your choice anodized to match, with me paying all the transfer fees.
you'll have to use a adapter,though.
Unless....i trade you a small pin upper for your now useless SP-1 upper......
maybe one of those cool flat topped thingys.
i CAN fix you up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
hey i have a spare sp1 front takedown pin that Jerrell made me. it works like a champ. it uses a ball detente like the colt 601. using the  the screws dont bother me so send me an im and ill hook you up with it if i can find it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
no, and even if they did you still couldn't use a .250" takedown pin.
and let me be the first to offer a trade for a new lower of your choice anodized to match, with me paying all the transfer fees.
you'll have to use a adapter,though.
Unless....i trade you a small pin upper for your now useless SP-1 upper......
maybe one of those cool flat topped thingys.
i CAN fix you up.

Just cause he is new does not mean he is ignorant. Everybody knows a SP1 lower is worth way more than a current lower.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
hey i have a spare sp1 front takedown pin that Jerrell made me. it works like a champ. it uses a ball detente like the colt 601. using the  the screws dont bother me so send me an im and ill hook you up with it if i can find it.

that's a real nice gesture
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]
thats me, i'm a giver, a helper.
all fun aside, i did just remember i had a pin similar to the one mentioned above.
a big pin with a ball detent, seems like i didn't use it because when installed the ball stuck outside the lower.
also it wasn't "captured". easy to drop and lose.
i think i still have it, and the OP is welcome to it.(if i can find it)
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
A nice gesture indeed.  I sent an IM to you home_alone1.  Many thanks.

I have tried just about every commercial pin available for the SP1, excepting Jerrell's.  I do not think he is taking new orders.  I have found good luck with the DPMS pin that uses a standard lug upper.  It really snugs up the upper to the large hole lower.  Same thing with the big, ugly bolt that comes with the SP1 to mate the large upper lug to the large hole lower.  It works well, but it is a pain and scuffs up the anodizing with use.  I have been unable to find a commercially available large pin.  I have heard rumors that some really early Colt SP1s came with a small pin takedown.  I have yet to see any evidence that any where actually made.

I tried the model 601 pin from NDS with an old colt receiver that had a rebate drilled into the front lug.  The problem was twofold: it was not long enough to clear all the way through the other side and it would necessitate increasing the diameter of the SP1 lower to make things snug.  I asked NDS if they had any plans to make a large pin, and they said no.  I think there is a guy called m60Joe that can convert the large diameter lower to a standard size hole, which could make the NDS small pin work, but then you are talking about welding on the lower.

Thanks for all the input.  I will post pics once I get everything all squared away.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top