Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2011 4:31:42 PM EDT
Hey guys what type of barrel should I buy (and where) for an XM177 build?  Also is 45Bravo still selling the mods and doing barrel builds?

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
A bunch of us use the Bushy superlight,then a near perfect replica moderator (NON NFA) and grenade ring from member Brick,and have either Heatnbeat or ADCO do the cut,mount,weld barrel treatment.45Bravo is on a break for now.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been thinking about one of these:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-car%2016lw%20%20std.htm

I wish they made the 12.5 in LW
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Heatnbeat had some correct profile Colt barrels that he can use for an XM177E2. They just need to be cut down. You might consider contacting him and see if he will sell you one. That would save you a couple of steps in the process.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you going NFA or not?

J&T sells the an 11.5" barrel in the correct profile if you are.  Saves a bit of money in having it cut down.  I have one of their chrome lined 14.5" pencil barrels for my IDF project and I am pleased with it so far.

My XM177E2 is wearing a Bushmaster superlight that was cut down to 11.5" with a Brick moderator on it.  While I am happy with the barrel the customer service experience from Bushy was irksome.  YYMV of course.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Im not going to NFA it... need it to be over 16.

One question.  I saw a moderator on gunbroker that said it was a suppressor (it cost $300 ish)... then I saw bricks looks nice.  Obviously Brick made changes to his version from the original that makes it a non nfa correct?  I couldnt determine that.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Brick's moderator is just a flash hider that looks like the real thing.

A real moderator is an NFA device because it's got internal chambers that do drop the report down to the same level as a normal 20" rifle.  It's not a lot, but the ATF says it's enough.

Cut-away view.

45Bravo's moderator was good looking on the outside, but was completely hollow inside.  Much lighter though (a bit more than four ounces).

Left is 45bravo, right is Brick.

Inside of 45Bravo's

Inside of Brick's

My XM177E2 clone's barrel would be 15.375" long if I welded and pinned the moderator on as is.  So a bare barrel that's 12.125" should come out right, but most people go longer to have there be no doubt about the 16".  ADCO, of course, knows exactly how long to make things to make it work.

Link Posted: 7/29/2011 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#7]
If you use my flash hider, your barrel should be 12.776" long from the barrel extension to the muzzle (over all length).  This will give you a finished length of about 16.59", the same over all length as a Colt 16"  barrel.

Thanks,

Brick
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you use my flash hider, your barrel should be 12.776" long from the barrel extension to the muzzle (over all length).  This will give you a finished length of about 16.59", the same over all length as a Colt 16"  barrel.

Thanks,

Brick

Glad I used a 12.75 with one of your awesome mods and ring then!
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 1:47:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I measured from the bolt face to the front of the hider with a one piece cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd get one of the BM Superlights and have ADCO do their thing on it.  I've had several Superlights, and they're great.  I've been using ADCO ever since Randall went tango uniform, and they have been great; usually get stuff back in about a week.  45bravo did my E2 barrel, and it was great, but like they said, he is taking a break.  You can't go wrong with ADCO.

ETA: I don't think it's worth doing it NFA anyway.  Here is an 11.5" barrel and a non-NFA barrel.  The top one has a Primary Industries mod and the bottom a 45bravo mod.  If I was doing one now, I'd hold out for a brick mod:

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top