Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2011 6:59:29 PM EDT
So is it just wear? Chemical degradation? Anybody?

Any way to enhance or cause this to happen?

Link Posted: 4/16/2011 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The theory, I believe, is that it's a failure of the dye they used in the early composite plastic.

Not sure if there's really a way to enhance it or not.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#2]
It's caused by a rare bacteria that only occurs in tainted batches of cosmoline under certain environmental conditions, notably humid jungle like climes. That's why some stocks are mottled and others are not. Also, I am completely talking out of my ass.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Also, I am completely talking out of my ass.

We know.

I don't know about stocks and pistol grips, but sanding and polishing handguards can make the fiberglass weave very, very visible.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We know.

I don't know about stocks and pistol grips, but sanding and polishing handguards can make the fiberglass weave very, very visible.

What grit do you suggest?

Link Posted: 4/16/2011 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For the mottled furniture look or your talkin' azz? Gawd, I seriously need to meet up with some of ya'll...  

Any one try the baking soda blast on these yet?

Link Posted: 4/16/2011 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We know.

I actually forget what I used. It's been over a year ago.
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 2:56:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We know.

I actually forget what I used. It's been over a year ago.

I've done this: Start with 220 wet  sanding, then 400 wet, polish with 600 wet. Back your sandpaper up with a sanding sponge. It'll end up with a very flat texture. Then use 2 applications of Turtle Paste Wax to get the gloss back. If there's any "Mott" in there it'll show up. If not, you'll have a glossy stock.
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 3:26:11 AM EDT
[#8]
You can enhance the mottling with fine sandpaper.
Here's a batch of parts I got a couple years back with some other junk.
Standard 2 piece A1 type stock.

Typical black with some paint on it. After using 220 for a while and gluing the parts back, it turned out nice.
I had some pics of the finished stock oiled, but deleted them. It was pretty nice looking.

FWIW, the stock was only used for a display, I sort of think the adhesive wouldn't have held up to any recoil.
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 5:58:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Plastifix or  JBWeld would have held up to the recoil.  You'd have to paint the JBWeld, but the plastifix is gtg as is...
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I just sanded down a piece of left over d stock and got the mottling to come out, but it doesn't look as good as the naturally mottled stock i have. Im thinking maybe some brown stain/dye to make the white areas more brown...
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just sanded down a piece of left over d stock and got the mottling to come out, but it doesn't look as good as the naturally mottled stock i have. Im thinking maybe some brown stain/dye to make the white areas more brown...

Have you waxed it yet? I used a polishing compound and then followed that up with turtle wax.It will also help if you will use a buffing wheel attatched to your drill to buff it out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you waxed it yet? I used a polishing compound and then followed that up with turtle wax.It will also help if you will use a buffing wheel attatched to your drill to buff it out.

Nah, just hand sanding..Thanks for the tips! I cant do too much as I got bitten pretty badly by a dog i was training and my arm is pretty sore and swollen. There a detail shop up the street, ill go get some compound and a wheel Monday..
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Also, is mottling only present on early stocks?

What about handguards?
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 5:18:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's caused by a rare bacteria that only occurs in tainted batches of cosmoline under certain environmental conditions, notably humid jungle like climes. That's why some stocks are mottled and others are not. Also, I am completely talking out of my ass.

I support this idea. Mutant zombie A1 stocks FTW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Anything special about this stock? Other than the bad ass mottling?  It has a "yellow straw" on the stock alignment nub IIRC. Thats a skinny 602 grip that it matches pretty well. Ignore the non retro lower, waiting on NDS.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Plastifix or  JBWeld would have held up to the recoil.  You'd have to paint the JBWeld, but the plastifix is gtg as is...

Stir some liquid lampbalck into it while mixing. It will darken it after drying.

You will still want to go over the outside with some paint.. This just keeps it from being so white/grey.

I have never had good results from mixing hard materials into JB weld.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#17]
That's some real nice mottling there.  

Where is everyone getting the "skinny" mottled PGs ?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's some real nice mottling there.  

Where is everyone getting the "skinny" mottled PGs ?

Thanks Yankee, boywonder777 has them in the EE.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top