Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/16/2011 4:49:55 PM EDT
I'm trying to put my colt sporter 2   back to orginal form . It currently is equiped with a flattop -a3 type upper receiver and has the wrong bolt carrier . I think that it should a large hole 603 type  upper . What !'m hazy on is I'm seeing the 715 /c7 type upper on some of the forsale guns .One has a sn of 341xxx with a 715-mine has sn of 331xxx. Any one know the breaking point  for these two receivers and the correct style of bolt carrier ?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen Sporter II's with both A1 and A2 uppers, but have no idea when or IF there was a point where they changed. Colt tended to use whatever they had on the shelf - witness all the M16A2 lowers out there that are really A1's. IIRC, the BC was a modified Sp1 - so a half moon at the rear, or 'open' so a lightning link could not be used. They also put blocks in the lowers on the rear shelf, which I'm sure you know. I've never seen a large hole, C7 upper, but it wouldn't surprise me any. Not sure if this helps or not.

ETA: Check out the SP1 database near top of the page - that may help you out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  I failed to mention that my lower is a sporter 2 A2-i'm thinking model 6500 . I was hoping that the bc would sp1 type  not the open c type !
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:43:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Correct BC is SP1 type on every factory Sporter II I've ever seen.  Half moon didn't come around until post-89 when they stopped calling them "AR-15" and started putting in the physical sear-blocks.

My ca. 1986 factory Sporter II (306xxx) is slick and slab, with an SP1 BC and field sights.  Its A2 features are A2 buttstock, A2 pistol grip, and A2 barrel/fsb/handguards (round A2 hg, 4-pos square sight post in FSB, 20" C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7" A2 profile barrel with A2 half birdcage FS and peel washer)
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top