Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2011 8:31:37 AM EDT
Has anyone bent a buffer tube from a over pressured round. This weekend I bent my 2 pos buffer tube to the point the bolt will not go in and gets stuck. I don't think It can be fixed, not I have to find another buffer tube in gray.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have pics of the case that caused this? Something just doesn't seem right.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm..
I used to question myself for keeping a spare buffer tube. Not anymore.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know what it looked like, so no pic of the round but the round after was mushroomed at the neck and blew the floor plate out of the mag.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't know what it looked like, so no pic of the round but the round after was mushroomed at the neck and blew the floor plate out of the mag.

Sounds serious. pics would help..
What about the BCG? does it have missing lugs?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Hate to be the one to ask,but here goes,,is there a round stuck in the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Lugs seam fine and I don't think it was a squib.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#7]
OK. Mushroomed at the neck and blew the floorplate off the mag. Sounds like the possibility of an OOB discharge. Is your firing pin stuck?

Glad nobody was injured.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#8]
#1 question is...reloads ?

A good machine shop might be able to straighten that, but probably not worth it..
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm thinking like shrikefan. OOB
Did this happen with the first round fired?
My original thought was that if happen on the first shot the cam pin may have been left out.
I would also be checking the rear of the tube for damage.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A good machine shop might be able to straighten that, but probably not worth it..

I wouldn't chance it on a part next to my face...even as ugly as I am.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.  I'd get a new tube.  Too bad these tubes are so rare.  They would sure make a nice new NDS product.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They would sure make a nice new NDS product.

Now of all the ideas that have been brought up here for NoDak lately, this is the only one that I agree with.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now of all the ideas that have been brought up here for NoDak lately, this is the only one that I agree with.

If I lived near NDS... I would volunteer my time to work there and try to make things happen
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I lived near NDS... I would volunteer my time to work there and try to make things happen

Doesn't really work like that.  I don't think the impediment to new products is the desire to make them, but the financial/business realities.  How much will this actually cost to produce vs how many would we actually sell.  

And I think after their C7 work, they're a bit gunshy at the prospect of throwing us new products we demand on every whim.

I love them for what they do, but I don't expect them to make everything I wish they did.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't really work like that.  I don't think the impediment to new products is the desire to make them, but the financial/business realities.  How much will this actually cost to produce vs how many would we actually sell.  

And I think after their C7 work, they're a bit gunshy at the prospect of throwing us new products we demand on every whim.

I love them for what they do, but I don't expect them to make everything I wish they did.

I completely agree, which is why I took that into account. A lot of people will say that they'll buy something, but when it comes time to actually do so, they back out. A 2 pos. buffer tube is pretty much essential for a correct retro carbine. With so many people building them and having to settle for newer 4 pos. and 6 pos. tubes because originals are hard to come by, I think it'll be profitable for NoDak to produce these, assuming that production costs won't be ridiculously high.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 I'd sweep floors if it meant getting new parts out the door.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't an officiial solicitation for a new product; just an off the cuff comment.
I get the Socioeconomic  mechanics of new product implementation.

What are you ? A Professor ?  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#18]
My poor guess is the buffer tube wasn't screwed in right and the pressure made it bulge at it's weakest point. I've seen that happened once to a friend of mine but he was shooting blanks with the wrong bfa.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Righty-Tighty and Lefty-Lucy were not at work here.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.  I'd get a new tube.  Too bad these tubes are so rare.  They would sure make a nice new NDS product.

Just for the record, this looks like one of the commercial diameter repro 2 pos. tubes.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd like to know if it was a reload too. I've loaded some pretty tightly compressed loads without issue, but if it was the wrong powder, I could see this happening. A bent buffer tube is way extreme though. That's a lot of recoil.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I would definitely check the headspace, and the FP to see if it's bent before I shot it again.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It wasn't an officiial solicitation for a new product; just an off the cuff comment.
I get the Socioeconomic  mechanics of new product implementation.

Hals right.... I was trying to be witty.
But seriously. I have been buying and selling things since I was 17 years old. Its second nature to me.
If I wanted to sell gun parts full time I could do it very well.
It is a hobby of mine and gets me into gun shows for free. And gives me some table room.
All I need is knowlege of the product. And a desire.

I would think that whatever makes the current milspec 6 pos could easily make 2 pos with modifications...
In fact it would probably be easier (less steps). They still need to be finished so anodization should not be a big upcharge either.
Thats just some common sense talking.. I know nothing about how a 6 pos tube is made.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#24]
No reloads, Prvi Partizan ammo was used. am I boned or could I heat up the buffer tube with a blow torch and try to bend it and re thread it or buy a new one. Anyone know who's selling gray tubes?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No reloads, Prvi Partizan ammo was used. am I boned or could I heat up the buffer tube with a blow torch and try to bend it and re thread it or buy a new one. Anyone know who's selling gray tubes?

Dont reuse that buffer tube. I would seriously inspect every other part..
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#26]
This happened at about the 4th round, when it happened I thought it was just a jam till I couldn't get the BGC out of the tube. Then I noticed the tube bent up, and the mag floor plate popped out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This happened at about the 4th round, when it happened I thought it was just a jam till I couldn't get the BGC out of the tube. Then I noticed the tube bent up, and the mag floor plate popped out.

What about the spring and ammo? Did it fall out too?

What does the BCG look like.. And the bolt face?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Bummer.  I have several hundred Privi 55g. White box in the stash.  I wonder if the folks in the ammo forum could shed a light ?
Definitely check all the usual suspects mentioned, stuck FP, Oob, slamfire, etc.

The tube could probably be fixed, but agree I with the hive, just get another when ya can or use a 3-4 position until a 2 pos. comes around.

Sure is weird how that bent like that so close to the receiver.  That's a first for me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sure is weird how that bent like that so close to the receiver.  That's a first for me.

yeah that's definitely not the normal path of the bcg.  it goes linear to the receiver and barrel, the way it's bent almost suggests some upward force.  a lot of upward force, that tube isn't really designed to be damaged.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Perhaps the tube was already bent not allowing the bolt to fully return to battery. The only other broken buffer tube a have seen is when someone broke a perps collar bone with the but stock.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#32]
The only time I have seen a bent extension like that was when the rifle was used as a really expensive club.  

The description of the brass sounds like the rifle fired out of battery, which could definately blow the floorplate off of your magazine.  I would shit can the extension and not use it, especially if it is a repro and not an original piece. If it could be straightend out, It might be suitable for a range gun, but I personally wouldn't trust it on anything more than that.  Also, a look inside of the reciever extension might tell you how the BCG impacted it and help you figure out if the damage was caused by the BCG or an external force.

Did you notice any other issues with the Privi ammo prior to this.  I stopped using it awhile back after I had some issues with blown primers in several lots of the older Privi 55 gr.  I noticed it when I tried to chamber a round and the BCG would stop just short of locking up.  After tearing down the rifle, I and found a spent primer wedged into the lugs of the barrel extension, along with three others laying in the bottom of the lower.  There was also metal debris from the primers all throughout the inside of the rifle, which caused it to nearly lock up when I tried to chamber the round.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:11:31 AM EDT
[#33]
There's something else going on here.

If you aren't exactly sure what happened yourself, I'd suggest taking the whole mess over to an experienced 'smith for inspection, instead of speculating around the campfire about something that could get you really hurt.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:32:43 AM EDT
[#34]
I WOULD NOT,NOT,I REPEAT NOT RE-USE THAT TUBE.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:59:51 AM EDT
[#35]
My privi partizan expeiences... The cases are soft and often the rims are ripped or deformed by guns that treat lake city brass delicately.
The cases are not worth a reload.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Can anyone tell me about the Essential Arms car stock with two-position tube any good? Anybody know the price? I am going to have a friend look the rifle over.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me about the Essential Arms car stock with two-position tube any good? Anybody know the price? I am going to have a friend look the rifle over.

last i heard essential arms was out of stock but no problems with then.  i know their milspec stocks used to come with the old colt 2 pos tubes until they ran out.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Probably as good as any other. I've ownaed a couple with no issue.

Make sure your friend has experience and knows what he's looking at.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#39]
was  a car spring used in the weapon and not a rifel not allowing it to cycle
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
was  a car spring used in the weapon and not a rifel not allowing it to cycle

Well, that might explain a few things.

Doc

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#41]
The very first CAR 15 I ever built way way back in 1989, was dropped from chest high at an angle resulting in the same bend. I handed it to a buddy who let er slip. Parts were USGI from Nesard, and I just ordered a new stock! I have never heard of that happening from an over pressure. as said above I would take it very seriously, and trash the tube!!!! Wow!!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top