Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 11:04:33 PM EDT
Any ideas on how to remove a stuck pawl detent from a big head forward assist. It's stuck pretty good, recessed and appears to be hardened, as a new drill bit didn't hardly scratch it. I know it's not valuable but I kinda wanted to use it on a build. Am I sol?
Dave
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't seen one of these in person, so I might be off my rocker here...

But, can't you drive out a roll pin to remove the head on the large head FA buttons, just like the teardrop buttons?
If thats the case, I imagine you'd be able to get a teardrop F/A from somebody and swap the heads?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#2]
It doesn't have the pin to drive out like many forward assists. Interesting enough I just checked a couple of assembled A-2 assists and some have the pin and some don't. Would think it's a two piece design(head and plunger), possibly swagged together. Would be almost impossible to machine as one piece. Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Assuming you mean the pawl roll pin that the pawl pivots on, about all you can do is hit it with some Kroil or similar break free product and let it soak before going at it with the proper size roll pin punch.  Maybe try a little heat.  The FA head pin same thing, unless yours has no pin.  I've never seen one without a pin.  It may not be milspec.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Assuming you mean the pawl roll pin that the pawl pivots on, about all you can do is hit it with some Kroil or similar break free product and let it soak before going at it with the proper size roll pin punch.  Maybe try a little heat.  The FA head pin same thing, unless yours has no pin.  I've never seen one without a pin.  It may not be milspec.

After this with no results, take it by a machine shop and put it on a press.

I've also never seen one without a pin.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#5]
MarkRSims,
It's like the one you posted pic of  from GB auction 181271107 without a head roll pin. Did the one you bought have the head roll pin? I've never seen a big head assist with the pin myself. Might be a press fit. Sure is tight. Think Mike at NDS has one on his A-2. Tried heat. Nogo. P 14 on retro thread.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Cdenmark, are you saying that the roll pin is stuck, or the actual pawl spring plunger is stuck in it's hole?
Either way, try some AeroKroil. Its good stuff!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
MarkRSims,
It's like the one you posted pic of  from GB auction 181271107 without a head roll pin. Did the one you bought have the head roll pin? I've never seen a big head assist with the pin myself. Might be a press fit. Sure is tight. Think Mike at NDS has one on his A-2. Tried heat. Nogo. P 14 on retro thread.

HMmmm..... I'm pretty sure if you rolled that forward assist 90 degrees in the first picture, you'd see the pin. And in the other picture, it's positioned right, but the large head obscures it but I'll check when I get home. I'm out of town right now.

"Borrowed" from squareshooters ad, for reference:

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, plunger stuck in its hole down inside, tried to drill out with small bit but way too hard. Bit didn't hardly scratch it. Probably made it worse but never saw it move any. Still in same stuck spot approximately 1/8" below. Tried to heat and freeze to remove plunger from head also. Thinking I'm out $10. I didn't catch it before purchase. Was caught up in the moment I guess. Should be a way to repair but already have way too much time in it. Have made worse blunders. Mark, mine is identical to pic in every visible detail but no roll pin.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, plunger stuck in its hole down inside, tried to drill out with small bit but way too hard. Bit didn't hardly scratch it. Probably made it worse but never saw it move any. Still in same stuck spot approximately 1/8" below. Tried to heat and freeze to remove plunger from head also. Thinking I'm out $10. I didn't catch it before purchase. Was caught up in the moment I guess. Should be a way to repair but already have way too much time in it. Have made worse blunders. Mark, mine is identical to pic in every visible detail but no roll pin.

do you have some pics to share, so we can see exactly what you're dealing with?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#10]
No way to do pics right now. Camera is broken and I'm unemployed- no income. It's the pawl detent stuck in the plunger hole. Usual assembly has a detent spring, then a detent, then the pawl, then the pawl roll pin holding it to plunger.  The detent hole is slightly angle bored in the plunger and it appears to have the detent stuck down in it. The plunger also appears to be crimped to the fat head to me with no roll pin.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#11]
How about you find out how deep the hole is, ( I assume the same depth as a teardrop FA). Then drill a small hole into the bore at about the bottom of the hole. After soaking it with Kroil you could try using air to blow the detent out. Some heating and cooling and soaking should get it loose, it's just that there is no way to grab it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Good idea, just don't see how I could drill it without tearing up the crimp ring holding the head to plunger. Still I have nothing to lose so I'm gonna try it. Got a couple more bits. That thing is very hard. Seems as hard as a tap to me. Heat,  Did finally get a decent hole started then I broke my last two bits. I think your idea will work when I finally get it drilled out. I went to the flat side and started a new hole for intersection. Thanks for the good idea.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Dave, are you able to get the forward assist assembly out of the upper receiver?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Mark it's been out. I been messing with this thing for a while now. It's been a great stress reliever. Just a little hard on my drill bit collection. You want it?  Kinda like a play with it forward project. I have another one not screwed up, was just hoping to fix this one also. You know restore or re-use the retro stuff.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mark it's been out. I been messing with this thing for a while now. You want it?

God no!, but when I get home I'll see if I have another forward assist, and If I do, I'll send it to you. It wouldn't be a big one like what you've got, but it'd get you back in service.

No guarantees I've even got one, but if I do (in the 20mm can 'o parts), you can have it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#16]
It's all good. I'm in no bind. I also have a few fa. Save them for someone who does not have any. I just wanted to fix that one so I wouldn't have been took. I appreciate your goodness though. Think if I get to a decent press I can fix it also. Heck I've never had to even use an assist and prefer 604's except for being a left handed shooter. Cardboard and tape shell deflector works for me. Again thanks. I am curious if your fathead assist has a roll pin to remove the head from plunger. Neither of mine do.
Dave
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's all good. I'm in no bind. I also have a few fa. Save them for someone who does not have any. I just wanted to fix that one so I wouldn't have been took. I appreciate your goodness though. Think if I get to a decent press I can fix it also. Heck I've never had to even use an assist and prefer 604's except for being a left handed shooter. Cardboard and tape shell deflector works for me. Again thanks. I am curious if your fathead assist has a roll pin to remove the head from plunger. Neither of mine do.
Dave

OK, By the way, I got a chance to check the forward assist in the pictures above, and sure enough you were right, there's no pin holding the head on. The button appears to be one piece with the cap, and the cap is soldered or epoxied on to the mechanism. The seller did tell me that these were "Chi-Comm" manufactured, so I didn't expect it to be US .mil spec.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#18]
use a cobalt drill bit and dowse it with plenty of oil while drilling it.Set the drill bit a little further in the chuck so it doesn't walk as much.You can use a smaller drill bit to hollow out the pin so ya can get some edge to fold it inwards to punch out,if that makes sense.I have done many pins(on AK's) and the cobalts work everytime.those AK pins are harder than a 14 year olds head
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks Dings. Figured as much I just didn't have a cobalt bit. Got a decent small hole started til my very used cheap bits just gave up. Will add one to shopping list if I can't get in a decent shop for a couple of minutes. Funny when I had access to machine shops I personally never needed them. Worked at a race engine shop for years. Go figure.  It's no hurry for me and I'm gonna get it out either sooner or later.
Dave
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top