Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 2:40:17 PM EDT
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=190056335

What do you all think of this stock, is it Type B or C?

ETA: I know what it is by looking at the pics but the seller swears up & down on what he thinks it is. Looks like I was wrong, not too proud to not admit it. Looks like it was just the lighting of the original pictures.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Was told by M1sniper that it is a Type C.I guess he should change his title since its not for a 601 but rather a 602.

Edit:Looks like he did change it today.He might also need to change his "retro" A2 port door as well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I downloaded the pics and lightened them and adjusted the contrast and the stock turns a deep dark/ reddish brown.  The contrast in his pics way off.

But I have no clue what it really is.  Colors look wacky.

eta; He's also changed his prices a couple times on few items.  Some higher, some lower.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#3]
My guess would be Type "C".  When he says brown, I guess he is referring to the mottling...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My guess would be Type "C".  When he says brown, I guess he is referring to the mottling...

That is exactly what I was thinking he meant when he told me it was brown.

I think the colors look fine in his pictures, just look at the blanket, they are well defined.

Quoted:
eta; He's also changed his prices a couple times on few items.  Some higher, some lower.

I've noticed that too. He had a 601 bolt catch that I was interested in, first it was $50, then the next time I looked it was $65.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is exactly what I was thinking he meant when he told me it was brown.

I think the colors look fine in his pictures, just look at the blanket, they are well defined.

Quoted:

I've noticed that too. He had a 601 bolt catch that I was interested in, first it was $50, then the next time I looked it was $65.

Exactly.  And the 01 selector went from $65 auction only, to BIN $75 opening bid of $50.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Its looks like a type c that is worn to me, which I am sure hk knows!

That style stock not the type buy the material those were made from when used heavy gets the brown snowflake the ones with little to no wear has kinda a dull finish to it. I have type d stocks with the same features. One of the hardest stocks to find is a not worn type C
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I had to talk my brother out of pulling the trigger on it this afternoon.  I told him to wait and bid if he really wants it.  I'm glad i did.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Its looks like a type c that is worn to me, which I am sure hk knows!

That style stock not the type buy the material those were made from when used heavy gets the brown snowflake the ones with little to no wear has kinda a dull finish to it. I have type d stocks with the same features. One of the hardest stocks to find is a not worn type C.

I have noticed that. Every C stock I've seen has the mottled look to it. The one on my 602 is the blackest one I've ever seen, which is what I wanted when I bought the 2 I have. The other one in my parts box is more mottled.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]
To me, that stock looks like it has been sanded to make the mottling come out more, but it is hard to tell from the picture.  Maybe it hasn't, but I bet if you had it in your hands you could tell.  To me, non sanded ones still have a little texture to them, like ripples or small bumps.  Sanded ones become completely smooth, removing that little feature.

ETA:  I wasn't referring to the one HK posted. I am talking about the one in the OP.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Type "C" stocks without a hairline crack in way of the sling swivel are also hard to find...  I prefer the shiny ones myself...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ETA: I know what it is by looking at the pics but the seller swears up & down on what he thinks it is.

HK,I know as well as you it's a type C,,but as far as I'm concerned I will not deal with the seller.Same guy with the BS story when selling the so called "original" XM177E2 moderator he took off the VC he terminated in Nam.Claimed he drilled out the innards of the moderator so it was legal.Sure as hell looked like a Bushy moderator with NO wrench flats milled on it as was agreed by many members.Also same seller that  sold you that gas tube as an "original" early bend....
I noticed he started adding "retro" to his auction descriptions after I had 18 items up at one time and all mine did well.All of a sudden all his adds were "retro" even an A2 port door.And I already told you about the "original Colt "car HGs in the wrap I bought after asking if he guaranteed them to be vintage colt ,,they turned out to be Izzy HGs with the numbers pressed into them....Some of his items are good with decent descriptions and a bunch of members here have said they had good dealings with him.I don't even bother looking at his stuff....Just my 2 pennies.... Oh,and to add.Just look at the buttplate color and compare to the stock body,the stock body is way too dark (black) to be remotely confused with the brown used on a 601 stock.Yes,it's heavily mottled,but that's all...

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: I know what it is by looking at the pics but the seller swears up & down on what he thinks it is.

HK,I know as well as you it's a type C,,but as far as I'm concerned I will not deal with the seller.Same guy with the BS story when selling the so called "original" XM177E2 moderator he took off the VC he terminated in Nam.Claimed he drilled out the innards of the moderator so it was legal.Sure as hell looked like a Bushy moderator with NO wrench flats milled on it as was agreed by many members.Also same seller that  sold you that gas tube as an "original" early bend....
I noticed he started adding "retro" to his auction descriptions after I had 18 items up at one time and all mine did well.All of a sudden all his adds were "retro" even an A2 port door.And I already told you about the "original Colt car HGs I bought after asking if he guaranteed them to be vintage colt ,,they turned out to be Izzy HGs with the numbers pressed into them....Some of his items are good with decent descriptions and a bunch of members here have said they had good dealings with him.I don't even bother looking at his stuff....Just my 2 pennies.... Oh,and to add.Just look at the buttplate color and compare to the stock body,the stock body is way too dark (black) to be remotely confused with the brown used on a 601 stock.Yes,it's heavily mottled,but that's all...

I hear ya Rob. He done me good on the gas tube though (returned all my $$, even return shipping), so I was just trying to help him out by ID'ing his stock. The color of the butt plate compared to the body was the deciding factor for me too that it was a C stock for sure. He still claimed it to be a 601 stock even after I sent him a picture of my 601 stock to show the color difference. You can only try to help people so far before you just have to throw your hands up in the air & give up.

The whole reason behind this thread was just to see if I was not the only one that thought it was black, after the seller swearing it was brown & claiming to have taken off the green paint in the 70's. Now I see I am not the only one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#13]
He just added some new pictures and either the lighting is way different or they're a different stock.

ETA:  I don't think it is the same stock... compare pictures 7 and 13; the exposed foam filling visible in pic 13 seems like it should be visible, if only just, in pic 7.  Also, did his blanket go AWOL?

Lighting can make a big difference though.  If you look at some of his other auctions, in some his blanket appears more gray, in others more tan.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He just added some new pictures and either the lighting is way different or they're a different stock.

ETA:  I don't think it is the same stock... compare pictures 7 and 13; the exposed foam filling visible in pic 13 seems like it should be visible, if only just, in pic 7.  Also, did his blanket go AWOL?

Lighting can make a big difference though.  If you look at some of his other auctions, in some his blanket appears more gray, in others more tan.

They look like the same stock to me. The wear on the bottom of the buttplate is the same on both, and the mottling pattern directly behind the buttplate wear is the same as well. Also, looking at the first pictures he posted, you can kinda see a reddish tint to the stock.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They look like the same stock to me. The wear on the bottom of the buttplate is the same on both, and the mottling pattern directly behind the buttplate wear is the same as well. Also, looking at the first pictures he posted, you can kinda see a reddish tint to the stock.

Yeah, looking at it some more, the mottling marks on the little stud that locks into the lower receiver and keeps the stock body from rotating does look similar.  Picture 6 does also manage to make it look brownish.  Anyway I don't claim to be an expert and I'm not planning to buy it, so this opinion is worth what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe it was just the pictures, I don't know, pictures 8-13 definitely makes it look brown. Hard telling? I was just trying to help the guy out, wasn't trying to prove him (or anybody) wrong.  

Maybe his "you be the Judge" quote in the description is the best thing to say for this auction?

Maybe Hal143 can get his brother to buy it after all & then we will know for sure what it really is. If it is a B he'll be happy (I'm assuming he wanted a 601 stock), if it is a C he could trade it or sell it & get his money back from the sale. A Type C would no be hard to sell.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Well,,this is a definite 1st for me.I know the green painted 601 stocks are hard to photograph and get actual results,but this is the 1st time I've seen brown show as black.I have to say it looks as tho all pics may well be the same stock.The 3-4 scuffs on the face anti twist nub are present on both set of pics.Does not change my opinion of the seller tho... Good luck on any potential bidders,ya might just have a gem there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Ekie and I really went over the C stocka I have. It was EKIE that told me about the dull flat finish, states the reed knight 02 has that dull look to it. I have one that is part shiney part dull.

I like them kinda used as with the snowflakes myself.....
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#19]
The upper pics look just like my type C:

The lower pics look like a type B with the paint stripped.
I'm baffled.
Having said that, let me say this, I've bought from this seller before without a problem and he was good about commmunication, so ask for more info.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:36:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well,,this is a definite 1st for me.I know the green painted 601 stocks are hard to photograph and get actual results,but this is the 1st time I've seen brown show as black.I have to say it looks as tho all pics may well be the same stock.The 3-4 scuffs on the face anti twist nub are present on both set of pics.Does not change my opinion of the seller tho... Good luck on any potential bidders,ya might just have a gem there.

That's why in my first post I was saying the contrast in his first pics are way off.  You can't just go by the sellers pics.  Very often you have to download and enhance to see hiiden flaws.

Maybe Hal143 can get his brother to buy it after all & then we will know for sure what it really is. If it is a B he'll be happy (I'm assuming he wanted a 601 stock), if it is a C he could trade it or sell it & get his money back from the sale. A Type C would no be hard to sell.

ETA:  He wants a brown 601 stock, but that one is pretty rough. Perfect for me tho
As for the different "gray" background, it looks like he's using that to tone down the contrast.  Too much light bouncing off that Indian rug in the sun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#21]
On my computer, the last 6 pictures are Type B. The one that I have was the same color and had the same "mottling" prior to me polishing it. There also appears to be a bit of green paint residue around the buffer tube and knob that butts into the receiver.

I'm seeing a "B", you see?

Also, past posters observations aside, I've bought from the guy, and not had a problem.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
On my computer, the last 6 pictures are Type B. The one that I have was the same color and had the same "mottling" prior to me polishing it. There also appears to be a bit of green paint residue around the buffer tube and knob that butts into the receiver.

I'm seeing a "B", you see?

Also, past posters observations aside, I've bought from the guy, and not had a problem.

Yes, the last 6 pictures (that he added yesterday) make the true colors come out, but the original 8 pictures made it look black & like a Type C.

I'm with you, I've bought from him before & have been happy with our dealings. One time was good, the second time the item was not right, but he made it right by returning all my $$. So for me he is GTG in my book.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#23]
So who bought it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Gee M1, quit giving us a hint and tell us what ya really think.

I've dealt with the seller too once before and he was GTG.  Mark, I too see / saw a "B", from the begining.  But quickly had my doubts due to the hive consensus.
I still see a dark "B".  

But I convinced my bro to pass.  Buyer is a member here.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've dealt with the seller too once before and he was GTG.  Mark, I too see / saw a "B", from the begining.  But quickly had my doubts due to the hive consensus.
I still see a dark "B".  

I can only repeat what HK said as I made my observations based on the 1st set of pics so here goes (stolen from HK):"Looks like I was wrong, not too proud to not admit it. Looks like it was just the lighting of the original pictures."
I still stand by my "I avoid the seller" comment tho.He may be a great guy,but I ABSOLUTELY HATE having to deal with the hassle of returning an incorrectly described item unless it's an actual honest  mistake on sellers part.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still see a dark "B".  

I can only repeat what HK said as I made my observations based on the 1st set of pics so here goes (stolen from HK):"Looks like I was wrong, not too proud to not admit it. Looks like it was just the lighting of the original pictures."
I still stand by my "I avoid the seller" comment tho.He may be a great guy,but I ABSOLUTELY HATE having to deal with the hassle of returning an incorrectly described item unless it's an actual honest  mistake on sellers part.

I agree and I'm pretty sure he knows the side sling adapter is not retro.He also knows the A2 port door is not retro.I can't stand people who list crap like this just so they will get more "hits".

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=190233936

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=190230714
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I agree and I'm pretty sure he knows the side sling adapter is not retro.He also knows the A2 port door is not retro.I can't stand people who list crap like this just so they will get more "hits".

I'm with you on the port door, it's a completely modern part identical to those available from anyone who sells AR parts.  The side sling swivel, for what it's worth, is the earlier type which fits both lightweight and heavy barrel profiles, which is no longer available new.  If we can talk about 723 carbines and "Black Hawk Down" builds here in the retro forum, then I think the swivel gets a pass.

You may now all flame me for considering the late 80s / early 90s to be retro.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top